Done to Death But Which Dashcam?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Ok people, here is the senario, any member of the family could be driving any one of three main cars. Is there a dash cam out there thats worth its salt that you can buy a few extra powered mounts and simply clip in from one vehicle to the other without fuss and the need to start fiddling about connecting leads. Needs to have the usual dashcam functionality and can be controlled by iphone, budget £200-300 for the right cam that will do above

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
At 300 why not just buy a camera for each car ?

And what do you want to control with the phone ?

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
@Wild Thing
Agree with stevieturbo Get them for each car. I tried the 2 camera, three cars, but got fed up running back in for keys .
Nextbase 402g - £100 at halfords, or Praktica 10GW = £100

I prefer the Nextbase over the Praktica

Edit - Nextbase doesn't have ability to view on phone, Praktica does

Last edited:

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
i have a nextbase 312gw with starter kit carrier bag and memory card available if you want it

i use these cameras in all my vehicles ... hasslefree camera, do good recordings and work well

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
what do you suggest stevie, would like to be able watch footage on phone or ipad

Not sure how many offer a WiFi connection, or even how practical it would be.

I'd think it would be a very slow way of downloading and finding the files, and the camera would need powered up the entire duration too. Most onboard batteries will maybe only last 20mins or so when new. On both cameras I have after a few months old...the battery barely lasts a few minutes.
In normal operation, not a big deal though.

The only two I've used so far are the DODLS360W which is a great camera in terms of quality and ease of use.

I got another cheaper Dexors X7. Smaller nicer looking camera, and claims better resolution. But overall not as good, and pretty crap how it saves the "event" files.
So would be hard for me to recommend it.

I've just got one of these for my dads car, havent fitted it yet. Videos on youtube about it seem to give good reviews though, and it isnt too expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K7T88ZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For any camera, there will be plenty of reviews on youtube though

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Useful to be familiar with this:

Suction Mounted Car Cameras

Wouldnt be like silly rules to get in the way of something beneficial to road safety.

Although I have actually seen cars driving about with an array of things stuck to the screen....literally directly in front of the driver !!! I seen a car once with at least 3 items directly in front of them !!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@stevieturbo Tucked up behind the mirror is fine imo. But yep I've seen many times what look like GoPro sized (if not bigger) cameras hanging from mountings in the middle of peoples windscreens. On the plus side it makes it easy to identify them as idiots to avoid.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@Porter I'd imagine it's the same thing. They should be kept in green zone. I always keep sat nav tucked in tight in bottom right hand corner. Hate anything blocking my view ahead.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.