dull plastics

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gavin

RMS Member
Drives
Astra sxi
i just bought a sxi astra and the bump strips are very dull. could somebody give me some advise or recomended a product that would make them look new again, other than back to black which doesnt seem to absorb in?

Vicious-monkey

RMS Regular
autoglym bumper care!
baby oil or shoe shine wax stuff is meant to be good too but i've never personally tried either!

or get em colour coded!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I use meguaires trim detailer - awesome stuff and very easy to use and apply!

Lasts a long time as well

Do not use B2B, over time it will leave a hard, crusty residue on the paintwork and lasts no time at all!

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
search for elite car care products in belfast, they do something called topcoat. its good gear

Curtiz

RMS Regular
heat them with a heat gun or hairdryer (not too much, dont wanna heat the glue) so they look reasonably darker then go over with auto glym bumper care

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I use autoglym bumper care as for the money you really cant beat it, just be sure to wipe the excess off or it will run down the paintwork when it rains :worried:

jimcupra

RMS Regular
search for elite car care products in belfast, they do something called topcoat. its good gear
x2 for top coat i no ricky in elite and i have been using his stuff for years just keep top coat at room temp if its cold it goes thick warmer the better about £20-£25 a gallon cant complain (approx price of course)

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
if they're completely bleached like some of the vauxh stuff goes, then the heat gun route might give u gd results

Gavin

RMS Member
OP
Gavin
Drives
Astra sxi
thanks for the help, might try that heat gun trick the next good night, will let yous know how i get on (y)

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
Just done the Heat gun one on the rubbing strip of the rear bumper. Must say it has really changed the look of it for the better, and is now a nice black colour rather than that faded grey colour.

Must admit I used my cooks blowtorch to do this, even though it was an open flame, it is very controllable and small.

Thanks for the great tip
CM

Mk2Dubber

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Heatgun works well. Also seen people get on clubgti.com get great results with burners/flame, some say it's difficult to get consistency using a burner with a small flame though. Personally I wouldn't trust myself with it near my paintwork, hence I stick with kiwi show dye or boiled linseed oil. Try it, I've used AG, Megs etc etc...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.