E39 M5

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Still my favorite M5, I love the E60, but only for the engine, I much prefer this chassis though.

Regarding Eventuri, they are gaining a great reputation. I've tried to work out how to fit them with a cold air intake to the Datsun, but given the fact I requite two and the fact I do not wish to alter the original body much I have failed to work this out.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Still my favorite M5, I love the E60, but only for the engine, I much prefer this chassis though.

Regarding Eventuri, they are gaining a great reputation. I've tried to work out how to fit them with a cold air intake to the Datsun, but given the fact I requite two and the fact I do not wish to alter the original body much I have failed to work this out.

They have an odd one for the Honda, with a kind of snorkel that takes air through the scuttle panel. Maybe that could work?

To be honest I think it's mostly overpriced bling. I went with a cone filter type job in the Honda. Works perfectly, sounds fantastic, and much cheaper. Have similar in the EVO too, does the job.

The whole cold air intake thing just seems like a complete non-issue on a turbo car anyway. That air goes straight to the turbo where it's compressed, and heated up to many hundreds of degrees. It's the job of the intercooler to cool it down again before it's mixed with fuel. Who cares if it's a few degrees "colder" or "warmer" when it goes into the turbo...

Might make more of a difference on an NA car. But there it goes straight into the hot combustion chamber. So probably not...

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've a carbon dynamic airbox on the 2.0 155 which made a noticeable difference, I think it clocked around 5bhp more (corrected) on the dyno. Well designed ones do work, ripspeed type guff you get on ebay etc, generally don't. They'll not change a massive amount but apart from the power figure, there was a good torque gain in the mid range which made it feel so much more lively.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
They have an odd one for the Honda, with a kind of snorkel that takes air through the scuttle panel. Maybe that could work?

To be honest I think it's mostly overpriced bling. I went with a cone filter type job in the Honda. Works perfectly, sounds fantastic, and much cheaper. Have similar in the EVO too, does the job.

The whole cold air intake thing just seems like a complete non-issue on a turbo car anyway. That air goes straight to the turbo where it's compressed, and heated up to many hundreds of degrees. It's the job of the intercooler to cool it down again before it's mixed with fuel. Who cares if it's a few degrees "colder" or "warmer" when it goes into the turbo...

Might make more of a difference on an NA car. But there it goes straight into the hot combustion chamber. So probably not...
You would be surprised how much difference it makes. Remember colder air contains more oxygen, more oxygen in the cylinder at combustion means more horsepower. If you can also provide optimized air flow this makes a difference also, say a venturi at the start of the piping rather than a straight cut pipe, this allows for more air in, due to faster velocities mostly down to the reduced turbulence.

Its actually properly noticeable between 5° intake and 25°c intake on both NA and turbo cars. On my NA B20 it made a large difference changing to a cold air feed with larger filter and large velocity stack from a hot air intake. Of course on a very cold day in a turbo car there is very noticeable power increase, but a lot of this is also due to the intercooler being able to cool the air a lot more effectively.

Yes, on a turbo car it has an an intercooler, but colder, denser, more oxygen rich air entering still makes a difference, don't forget that in a car like mine, with no air box and just cone filters in the bay and with two turbos glowing red hot at times, the intake air temps can get very high, so there would be a missive difference in air intake temps with air fed from outside as opposed to air sucked in from the bay. And on a forced induction car often the colder the charge air the more aggressive the ignition timing you can run before inducing knocking.

Of course there are ways to do it, but I'm unwilling to modify the bay in such a way to allow this. I could manage if I had a single turbo, but the complexities of feeding two turbos make it a lot harder to accomplish without massive alterations, and this is not the vision I have for it.

G24NTR

RMS Regular
Eventuri have great marketing, their products look and sound fantastic, on S55 platform that's all they offer, standard airboxes show better dyno and real world performance.

Bang for buck can be found elsewhere.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Crazy prices for Eventuri - have a mate with one in his 340i estate and another had one in his RS3

Look class and sound great but I just can't put my money into one for what extra gain if any over an equivalent?

For my car for example, the "go too" is the VWR600 intake by Racingline. It would be in the middle from low to high cost and proven to be the best intake for the 2.0T but people still buy the more expensive APR/Eventuri/Revo intakes or the likes 🤷‍♂️

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Tbh for an E46 M3 an eventuri isn't a massively cheaper item than a Karbonius csl intake, albeit there's a bit more work in the csl intake.

Eventuri have great marketing, their products look and sound fantastic, on S55 platform that's all they offer, standard airboxes show better dyno and real world performance.

Bang for buck can be found elsewhere.
For a S55 I think it would take a lot more than an intake to make it sound good 😂

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
One of the best points about this car is it's originality, so mods aren't really on my radar. There's a sense of ignorance yet subtlety about it that I love. It's a 'you know if you know' sort of car so louder exhausts, intakes, etc don't seem fitting. I'm a little troubled by not using genuine parts in some areas but cost and availability is putting paid to that lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
One of the best points about this car is it's originality, so mods aren't really on my radar. There's a sense of ignorance yet subtlety about it that I love. It's a 'you know if you know' sort of car so louder exhausts, intakes, etc don't seem fitting. I'm a little troubled by not using genuine parts in some areas but cost and availability is putting paid to that lol
I don't think they need much in terms of exhausts or intakes etc to be fair.

Depends on what the part is whether non genuine is an issue or not really. By and large if it's a quality non oe part it will be fine.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's fair enough tbh and particularly with the family connection I wouldn't be rushing to modify. Not a big fan of loud exhausts at all, intake noise on an N/A car though is something I love.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I find them far too quiet. Factory manifolds are very restrictive too, they just used ones from a 90s 540/740i m60 model which is a joke

Gaz86

RMS Regular
A bit more induction noise would compliment the engine but wouldn't bother with an exhaust. The Dave F kit I had on my M3 made a noticeable difference over the OEM air box and most people gained 15-20bhp over standard. I could cut lumps out of the car and put my hand on the filter and it'd be stone cold too 👌🏻 Fully sealed off from the engine bay. Sounded epic too 😁

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Not done much with the old girl with the weather being crap and switching out a couple of cars and replacing with one which needed a few bits doing. I had bought this stuff last year at some stage. The diff oil was eye wateringly expensive but I was warned by Colm to make sure I used the right stuff and so off to BMW I went.

It took 2.5 bottles of the FM Booster, so I've 1.5 bottles left which I might attempt to sell on and it only needed 2l of gear oil. Also stuck new OEM plugs in both even though, strictly speaking they weren't required.

IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9281.jpeg

Diff oil looked not too bad to me to be honest.

IMG_9280.jpeg

The gearbox oil was darker, but again surprisingly not in terrible shape given the age / mileage.

IMG_9285.jpeg

At least it's done anyway. That's all fluids changed in the last 6 months, so just to get it to the body shop for the expensive part.

In the meantime quick mist of QD and ready for a road trip with a few mates tomorrow. I'm sure many more photos will come.

IMG_9287.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Not done much with the old girl with the weather being crap and switching out a couple of cars and replacing with one which needed a few bits doing. I had bought this stuff last year at some stage. The diff oil was eye wateringly expensive but I was warned by Colm to make sure I used the right stuff and so off to BMW I went.

It took 2.5 bottles of the FM Booster, so I've 1.5 bottles left which I might attempt to sell on and it only needed 2l of gear oil. Also stuck new OEM plugs in both even though, strictly speaking they weren't required.

View attachment 433211

View attachment 433215

Diff oil looked not too bad to me to be honest.

View attachment 433212

The gearbox oil was darker, but again surprisingly not in terrible shape given the age / mileage.

View attachment 433214

At least it's done anyway. That's all fluids changed in the last 6 months, so just to get it to the body shop for the expensive part.

In the meantime quick mist of QD and ready for a road trip with a few mates tomorrow. I'm sure many more photos will come.

View attachment 433216

i still dunno how i feel about life time oil 😂

looks good mate 👍

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
i still dunno how i feel about life time oil 😂

looks good mate 👍

Me either. Not even sure what lifetime actually means. I guess at 24 years old we're beyond lifetime anyway. Or is it until the gearbox expires from lack of servicing defines the lifetime lol

Either way handy enough job. It's a simple enough big thing when you get into it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All Volvo gear boxes are "sealed for life" too. And they really mean it, Volvo never touch them. Some people will change anyway, but probably 99% of them are never touched. First thing I did on mine was new oil and the stuff coming out wasn't pretty...

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
All Volvo gear boxes are "sealed for life" too. And they really mean it, Volvo never touch them. Some people will change anyway, but probably 99% of them are never touched. First thing I did on mine was new oil and the stuff coming out wasn't pretty...

what if ya get a onion like me if ya cannot find em grind em lol