Engine swap advice - friends import Voxy

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Hi all,

Friend has an import 2003 Toyota Voxy with 2L petrol lump (1AZ-FSE) with auto cvt gearbox I think.

Engine been running like a dog from the day he bought it over a year ago. He was at my house lastnight and talked about swapping engine… he then left my house to go home and the engine refused to start. 🤣🙈

Nothing obvious stands out to why it’s not starting unless timing chain has failed.

He was talking about engine swapping for something else… I suggested a t sport 189bhp from celica/corolla may be a good swap but I know nothing of the workings on how to actually go about doing this.

Can that engine be paired with this gearbox or is he best changing the gearbox also?

Any advice of what engine would be a handy enough swap or any advice at all would be appreciated

Don’t say scrap the car lol

Cheers
Joe

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Convert to something that has been done before or that you can buy as many of the shelf parts for the conversion.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
Think he wants to upgrade the engine though, he likes the car just wants something bit more fun.
Convert to something that has been done before or that you can buy as many of the shelf parts for the conversion.

Yea… but I’m unsure what’s been done before, that’s why I’m asking here for advice lol

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Put a k24 in it 🤣

Or another 1az and turbo it

And if he’s looking for more fun surely even a replacement 1az with a manual box would be better than the cvt unit.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
I think he likes it being auto but unsure if there’s a better box that can be paired with the likes of a t sport engine for example.

he’s got a loan of my odyssey…. He better leave my k24 alone lol