EP3 help (Belfast)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Stevie91

RMS Regular
Hi all, is there anyone that would be able to come to me to help me finish the rear brakes of an 05 EP3? I'll pay obviously lol.

It's sitting on axle stands ATM with both discs off and pads out. I'm just having trouble getting the pistons wound back in, they don't seem to want to move back in at all. Hoping they aren't seized, but there didn't seem to be any heat coming off the wheels when driving.

I need the car for work etc so any help would be brilliant. I'm in the dunmurry area.

Cheers!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
You have to rotate them as you push them back IIRC.

Edit: I'm guessing you've tried that anyway?

Stevie91

RMS Regular
OP
Stevie91
You have to rotate them as you push them back IIRC.

Edit: I'm guessing you've tried that anyway?
Yes mate I've got the tool for it. I've done this on my past few cars any never had any bother.

Just at the point I'd rather just pay someone because I've spent too much time out at the feckin thing and just need it fixed ASAP

Neil_M

RMS Regular
They are pretty much a wear item mate.

I'd suggest just getting a rebuilt one from Brakes International www.brakesint.co.uk/

I do have a set of used rear callipers if you are stuck?

But honestly I'd get a rebuilt one, swap over the calliper, send your old ones back, job done.

Stevie91

RMS Regular
OP
Stevie91
They are pretty much a wear item mate.

I'd suggest just getting a rebuilt one from Brakes International www.brakesint.co.uk/

I do have a set of used rear callipers if you are stuck?

But honestly I'd get a rebuilt one, swap over the calliper, send your old ones back, job done.
How much would you be looking for your calipers mate?

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
They can sometimes take a fair amount of force against the piston whilst turning to get them to start screwing in, not just a Honda thing either... Had the same issue with a few different makes and models, if you've got a spare set as a backup you might as well give them a bit of brute force before you go to the bother of replacing them ;)

Stevie91

RMS Regular
OP
Stevie91
They can sometimes take a fair amount of force against the piston whilst turning to get them to go in, not just a Honda thing either... Had the same issue with a few different makes and models, if you've got a spare set as a backup you might as well give them a bit of brute force before you go to the bother of replacing them ;)
I don't have a spare set as of yet. I just can't get them to turn at all using the piston rewind tool. Literally no movement left or right

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I don't have a spare set as of yet. I just can't get them to turn at all using the piston rewind tool. Literally no movement left or right

Can you use a spanner on the tool? I had to lean on that and the handle when I was winding mine back in.

Stevie91

RMS Regular
OP
Stevie91
Can you use a spanner on the tool? I had to lean on that and the handle when I was winding mine back in.
It's a wee small thing like this: Am-Tech Brake Piston Wind Back Tool Vehicle Service

I tried putting a bit of pipe on the end but it wasn't any use. I'm gonna see about getting the calipers removed and getting them inside to see if I can get a better angle at them to turn them. If not i'll just replace the calipers.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Don't panic too much, the hand brake mechanism does seize up on them, so you probably are doing everything right.

Treat them almost like a service item :worried:.

Stevie91

RMS Regular
OP
Stevie91
Don't panic too much, the hand brake mechanism does seize up on them, so you probably are doing everything right.

Treat them almost like a service item :worried:.
Is it common on the ep3s then aye?

Just getting annoyed, haven't drove in a few weeks because I haven't had the time or light to try to sort it!

ali619

RMS Regular
Is it common on the ep3s then aye?

Just getting annoyed, haven't drove in a few weeks because I haven't had the time or light to try to sort it!

Yes seized calipers on EP3's are a common problem on them.

My EP3 had a seized caliper, but thankfully I was able to push it back with some brute force.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.