F1 2017 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Not a bad deal for Williams: Money off their engine deal, a young driver with a billionaire father who has/will invest in the team with no obvious budget, Massa back to help him & be his yardstick & gaining one of the best technical directors on the grid.

However they'll need more than Paddy Lowe to win.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, happy days, maybe Nico will get a christmas card from someone after all :laughing:

Reactions: DC.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
The question is, how good is Stroll? Proper fast or always been bought a good drive with Daddy's cash?

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Will be interesting come the end of the year how he's doing v Massa. I expect early troubles for the kid.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Wehrlein confirmed for Sauber. Looking more like Bottas to Merc. Massa shouldn't come back, especially after the emotional send off he had at the Brazilian GP. He should stick with retirement. I'd rather see Button come back but I know he still technically has a role at McLaren for 2017.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Bottas visited Brackley before Christmas so he's nailed on for that seat. Don't think Wehrlein is ready for a title battle yet.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't think Button has any McL ties at all. The whole "gap year" thing disappeared along with Ron.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, the annual going into administration over the holidays, clear the books, leave the suppliers hanging, and then resurrect come spring with a two-year-old car sourced from somewhere and then do the corporate entertainment for another year...

No idea why they are still kept on the grid...

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
Will they be able to use an old car with the rule change?

Almost makes me nostalgic for the days of Friday pre qualifying and 26 car grids.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
True, that might be a problem for them. They have got exceptions in the past, someone in their management must be very good friends with Bernie... But you are right, this year is a completely different car...

They could still get some "customer car" and de-tuned engine from Ferrari like before I guess...

Uncle Buck

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Focus
How long was the contract they signed with Mercedes for engines and Williams for the gearbox and back end? And would that still be in place should a buyer open their cheque book? From what I read somewhere, it's only the 3rd party supplied parts that are required (crash tests etc were being completed) and would take too long to produce but even still, enough money and the parts could be sorted

Dave..

RMS Regular
2017 Regulations
McLaren Formula 1 - 2017 Regulations: your technical lowdown

2017 F1 (854 x 408).jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Saw that too, massive difference, completely new formula.

Still sceptical, with all that emphasis on aero overtaking will surely be all but impossible.

And then it is all about engine power next year, with development blocks lifted. Merc would still be favourites there again. Cannot see Renault having any hope of keeping up with the unlimited budget arms race, Ferrari might struggle too.

Honda is a dark horse, will be interesting to see what they can do without being constrained by the previous development restrictions. They have learnt a lot in the last couple of years, and have the budget.

RB would be another dark horse, with their track record for clever aero. Like the engines, pretty much all aero restrictions are gone. But the flip side is they still need the engine power to back it up.

Roll on February and see what is what :grinning:

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
was reading on www.reddit.com/r/f1technical that overtaking will still most likely be crap as the front wings are so complicated the create a lot of wake meaning when you are close to a person in front you lose downforce due to the car in front

Hopefully that is not the case but I guess we'll see at the first race

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Biggest change is the tyres IMO.

Whoever can get the most out of them will do very well.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
…with James Allison set to take Paddy's job at Brackley.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.