Failed MOT!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

beefo

RMS Regular
Car failed mot this morning on 'crank case vented to atmosphere' which was explained to me as air and breather filters are in the atmosphere of the engine. Anyone shed any light on this?? i've had car go thru with air filters on before

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Heard of this before. Must have been a fairly fussy mot buddy. If the crankcase breather isn't too obvious they usually don't twig on :innocent:

Sounds like your best bet is to put your oe air box on & connect the crankcase breather hose the original way for the mot.

jamesy

beefo

RMS Regular
OP
beefo
just done it, prob my own fault didn't think there would be a prob wit air and breather filter

jason Dturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
C2 GT
big cyril said:
What is the problem with this? Is there a risk of fire or something?

i know MOT is so stupid nowa days. it use to be for health and saftey for the driver and pedrestdion's around the car. brake ballance on a handbrake WHAT how does this involve health and saftey. it's **** you can get away with any think now.

Gambit

RMS Regular
'crank case vented to atmosphere' - air pollution

'brake ballance on a handbrake' - park your car on a hill with the handbrake on and you'll see what it has to do with health and safety

Marc

RMS Moderator
dont think thats the problem.. something to do with emission laws, that the only place fumes etc are allowed to exit the car are via the exhaust.

big cyril said:
What is the problem with this? Is there a risk of fire or something?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its always been the case. One of my cars failed on it once about 10 years ago. Just made sure everything appeared to be re-circualting from then on.

Its all about emissions. they dont want those nasty pollutants in the atmosphere. they are supposed to be burnt and dumped out the exhaust.
There is also an element, that should any oil be dumped out there too, it wont get chucked all over the road.

Rally cars that are MOT'd have to comply with the same rules everyone else does....unless they happen to know a friendly tester.
Even WRC cars run catalyitc convertors ffs

big cyril

RMS Regular
Marc said:
dont think thats the problem.. something to do with emission laws, that the only place fumes etc are allowed to exit the car are via the exhaust.

I see , thanks (y)

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
so an external wastegate would fail then?

not that this would be a problem for many :p

including myself :worried:

pablo

RMS Moderator
wastegate should be ok as the air dumped is fresh air not combusted air.

EDIT - sorry thats a dump to air dump valve. yeah i guess an external wastegate would fail but take a canny tester to know what it is

GTTurbo

what about screamer pipes then? I rigged my breather up to an oil catch can, then routed the exit hoses down to the front of the bumper.......passed MOT no probs at all.....

ak89

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Rang up theday to book my skoda felicia in for an MOT at mallusk, first available date is the 26th may. Unbelievable...

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
6 weeks wait in Craigavon, thankfully still giving out Exemption forms, until the end of the month apparently.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
They are giving out exemptions at Mallusk too.

External wastegate should pass ok. When they test the car, it will be sealed anyway, so no real reason for it not to pass, and most testers wouldnt have a clue what it is anyway.

excursion

Drives
MR2 Rocket
i have to say the MOT is a good idea in practice, a yearly inspection of your vehicle to make sure it is safe to the driver and other road users.

every year is abit much, every two years would make more sence.
having to pay is rediculous the MOT inspection should be included in your road TAX, you cant get TAX without an MOT pass anyway and would be so much easier for everyone if you just did them at the exact same time.
EVERY test should be done by a mechine. removing cocky cockend testers.

rules should be standard for all cars and they are not. some cars can get away with perticular mods and others are outright fail. simple example one car has a number plate at X hight AS STANDARD!! you mod your car and place your number plate at the same hight and suddenly your car is breaking the law??? whats that all about. window tinting car comes with X degree of tint AS STANDARD!! you adjust your cars windows to match and BANG! your breaking the law.

its all to get as much money out of you as possible, just to add it to their big pile of money that the give fu*k all back into the community. its a joke.

taking a breath after venting anger at double standards.......

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
excursion said:
i have to say the MOT is a good idea in practice, a yearly inspection of your vehicle to make sure it is safe to the driver and other road users.

every year is abit much, every two years would make more sence.

Not really when you consider some of the **** on the roads. I drove a Clio with 110k on the clock when it was under 2 years old. So it could have had 250k on the clock by it's first MOT.

Also think about the "soccer mom" cars that beat about the town. Usually Ford Galaxys or Toyota Previas with 4 bald half-flat tyres, no brake lights, and maybe get serviced once a year if it happens to die. A lot of those motors are on the road 18 hours a day back and forward, and city driving is the hardest on a vehicle. And you know what sort of maintainance a mother with 4 screaming kids does? None.

So, MOT should be left yearly to keep an eye on the high milers that have clueless drivers. People that do regular checks and maintainance shouldn't worry. I used to do 25k a year in one of my jobs, drove an old turd heap Laguna, and did 2 MOTs with zero prep for both, except a quick wash on the way. PAssed no problems, as the car was checked and got what it needed when it needed it. My own cars are the same. I'd be confident any car I've owned would pass MOT at any time, no questions.

Hmm...that turned out to be a novel. :laughing:

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
its cause it's putting gasses straight back into the atmosphere as opposed to into the inlet and reburning them in the engine, thats why they are fussy on this, easy solution though, hole in filter and poke pipe in, thats what i always do

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.