False claims

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
Anybody been involved before?

I got a few emails from admiral this morning (my insurer) to say they had been contacted by a solicitor in relation to an accident I was involved in.

Seemingly a pedestrian was knocked down in England somewhere the day after I returned from the States (at home all day, car hadn't budged in over two weeks).

So apparently they might have to send someone out to inspect the car once they go back to the solicitor and the police (who attended) for a car description on top of the reg. Seems a bit odd, could be a case of a reg taken down wrong, which would be the police's problem, or a cloned plate if the car description checks out.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If I were yourself Stuarty I'd ring Admiral on the claims number from their website to make sure it's definitely them contacting you to begin with (if you haven't already).

I wouldn't worry too much about anything else as it's up to them / the police to call out to you to ask any questions and look for evidence (either way).

I'd guess it's a reg taken down wrongly, but if it is a cloned reg or similar then it should be very easy to prove with a quick look on the ANPR system.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Surely if the police attended, they should have taken some other descriptors of the driver (like his name, address and drivers license number) and its a pretty straightforward case of a car reg noted down wrong and mistaken identity.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I would be ringing admiral directly to see what the craic is. Sounds like a scam and if it was real I wouldn't expect the police at the door, not an email from an insurance company!

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
If I were yourself Stuarty I'd ring Admiral on the claims number from their website to make sure it's definitely them contacting you to begin with (if you haven't already).

I wouldn't worry too much about anything else as it's up to them / the police to call out to you to ask any questions and look for evidence (either way).

I'd guess it's a reg taken down wrongly, but if it is a cloned reg or similar then it should be very easy to prove with a quick look on the ANPR system.

That's what I did bud, googled the number on the email first and it came up as Admiral claims, then just went through their site and again the number checked out.

They said the next step is to check the car description/details with the solicitor/police which would bring things to a close fairly quickly. If it's a case of a cloned plate then there will be more investigation.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
That's what I did bud, googled the number on the email first and it came up as Admiral claims, then just went through their site and again the number checked out.

Yeah I knew you would have as you're a smart cookie but it was just on the off chance that you were still in holiday mode (if you're only back) and in a bit of shock from reading the claim.

They said the next step is to check the car description/details with the solicitor/police which would bring things to a close fairly quickly. If it's a case of a cloned plate then there will be more investigation.

I'd say they'll reply to the other insurers solicitor who should have all the details.... but I wouldn't be surprised if they need to go back to the police to double check the description of the car and whether they spoke with the driver at the time or not.

If it's a cloned plate then a simple search will show it pinging cameras in England around it's locality (not your house) and your car won't show up as having travelled on the boat over and back. Even if it was a more complicated one and the claim was over here in a different town, it's easy to show that a cars reg has been cloned within a few minutes of them making searches so I wouldn't be worrying too much. It may drag on for a few days while solicitors milk some extra time from the 'investigation' and if they need to wait on the police who attended to come on duty and reply etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Annoying that someone's potentially cloned the plate. Hopefully it's just a Police typo as the cloning can be a real pain. Happened to my mum about 10 years ago and she was getting parking fines and London congestion charges through the post. I think eventually they caught the person. We've still no idea how they got the reg!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
ANPR is nowhere near as prolific in England as it is here, so chances of cars being flagged over there are much fewer.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
That may have been the case many many years ago but there are plenty of ANPR sites in England that can be accessed and its probably a lot more common practice for them to do so regularly.

Shaun

RMS Regular

Did you actually phone them though or just the number in the email matches their website??

Jason

RMS Regular
Yes was involved in a false claim, nudged a guys van at road end, hadnt even let the clutch out fully, causing next to no damage, (knew the fella!) Made sure he was ok, even seen him the next day at work everything was ok. Then he asked for my solicitors details, I thought he was joking, whole thing ended up costing circa 10k to put by after he claimed whip lash. Nasty piece of work!! Not his first claim either from what I heard too.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
Did you actually phone them though or just the number in the email matches their website??

Actually phoned, just a general customer services number on the site who put me through to claims, the number they provided me with was a direct line to the claims department

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Yes was involved in a false claim, nudged a guys van at road end, hadnt even let the clutch out fully, causing next to no damage, (knew the fella!) Made sure he was ok, even seen him the next day at work everything was ok. Then he asked for my solicitors details, I thought he was joking, whole thing ended up costing circa 10k to put by after he claimed whip lash. Nasty piece of work!! Not his first claim either from what I heard too.
How do you know it was a false claim though?

You nudged someone from behind, therefore you were in the wrong.

I'm not defending him or his actions (I know nothing about the incident Jason), but how do you know he didn't have an injury?

If he went through the steps to assess whether he had a whiplash injury and was determined by doctors, consultants and whatever other steps he had to, he is either a very good actor or maybe there was something there.

£10k wouldn't have been a particularly large whiplash claim by the time professional expenses etc. would have been taken into account.

Also, should he end up having a legitimately more serious incident in years to come, the fact that he has had a whiplash claim in the past will have an effect on any future claims he will be trying for.

Last edited:

Jason

RMS Regular
How do you know it was a false claim though?

You nudged someone from behind, therefore you were in the wrong.

I'm not defending him or his actions (I know nothing about the incident Jason), but how do you know he didn't have an injury?

If he went through the steps to assess whether he had a whiplash injury and was determined by doctors, consultants and whatever other steps he had to, he is either a very good actor or maybe there was something there.

£10k wouldn't have been a particularly large whiplash claim by the time professional expenses etc. would have been taken into account.

Also, should he end up having a legitimately more serious incident in years to come, the fact that he has had a whiplash claim in the past will have an effect on any future claims he will be trying for.

Understand where your coming from as an outsider!

The car rolled approx 4-5 ft into the rear of his vehicle, the damage was a cracked tail light lense and a scuff on my bumper.
Speed was most likely 2-3mph at most.
He went directly home not hospital.
He was at work the next day with no complaints.
He has been seen out partying/drinking/dancing on tables by my insurance broker non the less!

In all honesty it was laughable, not that I wasnt taking him seriously but I honestly thought he was joking when he said he was claiming.

Jason

RMS Regular
Can't whiplash take up to 5 days to show effects and also can't be disproved by doctors, hence why so many scum bags use it as an excuse to earn few quid?
Honestly, id say a queue getting onto a bus would have had more force!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Someone crashed into the back of me at low speed about 2 years ago just outside Donaghadee. Did no damage at all, told him to head on, no harm done, took no details and went about my day.

Woke up the next day and could hardly move. Baffling.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If he went through the steps to assess whether he had a whiplash injury and was determined by doctors, consultants and whatever other steps he had to, he is either a very good actor or maybe there was something there..

If you genuinely believe this, you are very naive to the world.

It's the very reason there are so many false claims, as the alleged injuries are almost impossible to verify, hence they just pay out regardless. And the consultants get paid a pretty penny for their reports. It's a win win for all involved in making a claim, except for everyone else whose insurance covers all these costs.

Last edited:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully

It's the very reason there are so many false claims, as the alleged injuries are almost impossible to verify, hence they just pay out regardless. And the consultants get paid a pretty penny for their reports. It's a win win for all involved in making a claim, except for everyone else whose insurance covers all these costs.

I don't know how you've managed to 'quote' me when that's not my comment - quite impressive though :p

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late

I think Im far from naive.

I also think I was pretty clear in what I said, namely that in order to successfully pursue a whiplash claim one needs to pass through more than a friendly doctor with a wink wink, nudge nudge.

Who is to say it was real or not. If it was real then he got paid, if it wasn't real then he is a good actor.

What's naive about that?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Understand where your coming from as an outsider!

The car rolled approx 4-5 ft into the rear of his vehicle, the damage was a cracked tail light lense and a scuff on my bumper.
Speed was most likely 2-3mph at most.
He went directly home not hospital.
He was at work the next day with no complaints.
He has been seen out partying/drinking/dancing on tables by my insurance broker non the less!

In all honesty it was laughable, not that I wasnt taking him seriously but I honestly thought he was joking when he said he was claiming.
That's not on from what you're saying Jas. I feel for you as a 'fake' claim is bang out of line.

Let's hope he never needs a genuine claim

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think Im far from naive.

I also think I was pretty clear in what I said, namely that in order to successfully pursue a whiplash claim one needs to pass through more than a friendly doctor with a wink wink, nudge nudge.

Who is to say it was real or not. If it was real then he got paid, if it wasn't real then he is a good actor.

What's naive about that?

There are no hoops to jump through, there is no acting required, the entire thing is a money making scam for all involved. You dont even need to wink wink anything, as it's all a done deal within the insurance system. They all make big money from claims nevermind the consultants or "victims"

The only losers are Joe public whose insurance premiums just go up and up to pay for the scam. The insurance companies themselves lose nothing.

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
OP
Stuarty1984
So things are with the claimant and their solicitor to make their minds up as to whether it was actually my reg, or indeed a blue astra involved, why it's taken this long to decide already is a bit ridiculous.

The guy from Admiral then told me 'I see you're up for renewal in April, I can't make any promises but we'll try and have everything sorted for then as it could give you difficulty getting insurance at reasonable cost if the case is still open'. Reassuring :rolleyes:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.