Fitted led interior bulb…

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Fitted a Ring led interior light to the daily today.
When the doors open the bulb works as it should, great light off it.
When the doors closed the bulb is lite ever so slightly (barely noticeable but still illuminated) this wasn't the case with the standard bulb.

Any ideas?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It's not the lamp it's the circuit. You're just seeing it now because there is enough current to light the LED but there wasn't enough to light the filament lamp.
Something to do with the door switch, the interior light switch, or an earth connection.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
It's not the lamp it's the circuit. You're just seeing it now because there is enough current to light the LED but there wasn't enough to light the filament lamp.
Something to do with the door switch, the interior light switch, or an earth connection.

Any potential harm resulting from it?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I suppose there would be some battery drain if you left the car for days, but hey....

It could be the fact the door switch is operating as switched earth, you still get a tiny amount of current to the light. But then digging a bit deeper on this it seems like a common problem when people swap to LED. On a modern car could be something to do with the way the light is controlled, the delay or dimmer routine after you lock up.

I'm sounding like a bluffer so I'll finish now.

garyo

RMS Regular
As above, the circuit holds some sort of residual current often because of the switch (guessing it's a 3-way on/off/door job?) which isn't enough to light a filament bulb, but enough to dimly light an LED as they need much less power. It shouldn't have any issues as I don't think it actually draws any more current, it's just able to make use of the same amount of current that it always draws/holds, but it's never been noticeable before with standard bulbs.

PS - Also a bluffer, but I've ran interior LEDs which have a dim light when 'off' for years in many different cars with no power drain issues at all. I remember searching the same thing when I first fitted them before finding out it was normal and nothing to worry about. (y)

Deckz

RMS Regular
OP
Deckz
Drives
Cars
Thanks for the replys guys.

I'll leave it as it is for a few days and see how it goes sure. If i find it's draining the battery I'll remove. Thanks.

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
Had this on my first car when I locked it and the ecu went to sleep was the only time it went off completely. Maybe you should try a canbus bulb it might resolve your issue?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.