Gap insurance on a used car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Guys quick question , Looking at a 2014 used car this morning , Does gap insurance exist for a used car bought outright without finance etc? Or only available for new with finance? Thought only came into my head this morning. Suggestions on who to use if it can be got?.:grinning:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I bought my 520d outright when she was about 20 months old. I took out gap insurance at that time do it is possible.

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
I bought my 520d outright when she was about 20 months old. I took out gap insurance at that time do it is possible.
Does it need to be purchased at the dealer? Or can you use your own company after you buy it ?

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
Assuming they ask for your invoice to ensure what value you agree
I think it was with AA as far as I can remember. Purchased separately but offered by dealer.
Assuming they ask for your invoice from the dealer to agree value of the car before you take policy out ? :grinning:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Assuming they ask for your invoice to ensure what value you agree

Assuming they ask for your invoice from the dealer to agree value of the car before you take policy out ? :grinning:

I think so. It was a few years back my memory is s little hazy. Hopefully the info I am saying is still valid!

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
Anyone a rough figure of what I should be looking to spend on the gap policy for a 20k car with 3 year cover (assuming you can renew after this period? Just to ensure the dealer isn't trying to dig the arm in :grinning:, Really haven't has a chance to do my homework on this one as I say thought only came to me this morning (n)

KevM

RMS Regular
£350 to £400 for 36 month £20k cover would be typical. Don't buy cheap crap off the Internet, if you ever need to claim you'll have real headaches & loads of stupid small print shafting you.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I paid £205 for £30k on 3 year policy from gap insurance.co.uk and I spent a week going back and forth over email with all questions etc have them all here for proof, if I ever have a problem.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Def seems worth getting. The mates used A5 (who you know jonny) that got stole was heavily financed and the gap insurance covered any depreciation up to purchase value of near 22 grand

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
Def seems worth getting. The mates used A5 (who you know jonny) that got stole was heavily financed and the gap insurance covered any depreciation up to purchase value of near 22 grand

Gap was £445 for 3 years which was fine:grinning:

Yea I herd about it happening (n), This incident actually got me thinking about it to be honest.

Anyways went a seen the car which was grand , they just wanted an extra £1,000 over what was agreed before I viewed it as the sales manager had priced the car wrong 8o|.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.