Garage heating options

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Quick bump on this, Got my garage into good shape recently, put a ceiling in, insulated, boxed and insulated the roller shutter, rubber backed floor tiles. Currently using a 1.2kw domestic halogen point of source heater and just switch it on when im in the garage but takes a while to get any type of heat into the place,

Anyone using anything that is efficient and reasonably cost effective to run? No car in the garage, more of a man cave!

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
Wee cheap stove or get a radiator or two plumbed in from the house. Quite easy if garage is connected to the house

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
New build garage attached, double skin etc so a good start, two pipes left in for me which assume we're hot and cold for a sink/ washing machine etc, must get those check out.

Don't fancy a super ser or anything with gas.

Brother had suggested sticking a split AC heat pump system in as that's what we work in but I don't think il use it enough to warrant that.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
waste oil burners are a no no at present, however they are brilliant heaters, only downside is they are pretty dirty to clean out and you darnt leave them unattended for even a few minutes

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Depends on how your double garage is built and what the heat loss is like. I have a double garage with cavity walls and a insulated ceiling. I use a little rocket type propane heater for maybe 15 minutes max and then just turn it off. The main heat loss I guess would be through the roll up door, but garage stays warm for a fair time after. I have a 3kw infra red heater as well. Looks like a big halogen light and it's great when working in one spot but it doesn't heat the space.

Reactions: CR

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
New build garage attached, double skin etc so a good start, two pipes left in for me which assume we're hot and cold for a sink/ washing machine etc, must get those check out.

Don't fancy a super ser or anything with gas.

Brother had suggested sticking a split AC heat pump system in as that's what we work in but I don't think il use it enough to warrant that.
I meant a wee cheap multifuel stove. Pick up a 2nd hand one at handy money

Reactions: CR

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Cheers,That's them out the window then lol
Anyone using one of the sealey electric ones,how good/bad are they ?

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
For a large space, electric really isnt a great option, simply because it takes a lot of electric power to make any decent heat.

I have one of those Sealey ones, again not great for large spaces. I ended up putting it on a stand so I could place it close to where I was working.

I had thought they were more like the Quartz/Halogen/IR types that can heat you over a good distance. They can work well but as others say strictly speaking they heat the person/objects as opposed to the actual area. But that means you feel it instantly it's turned on

The big blow heaters can work ok...but then you have noise and fumes to deal with ( although larger ones can be had with an external flue option too )

If you could get a wood burning stove etc with external flue, than that would be an option...albeit slow to warm up. Basically any fuel burner should have an external flue, even a Super Ser type thing especially if it is an enclosed space. Larger areas you could get away without a flue for short term use, but dont ignore the fact CO is odourless and can kill.

If you can go for a central heating type install..clearly that will be the best long term option.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
What would he recommended to heat an 1800sqft workshop? Running ventilation isn't really an option. Would a fan heater be the best bet?

belfastbrm

RMS Regular
If it is a comerical property and occupied 7-8 hours per day then the best option would be ac, or boiler with rads or fan coils

If its for a man cave or basicaly some were thats only used several hours per week go with an instant heat option. Whats the point heating an empty space
Ie something that will come on when needed but provide instant heat
( may cost more per hour but if only used for that hour then its still cheaper)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We have gas heating in the building already but not in the main workshop itself?

gas heating as in central heating type for rads only ? Or gas that run a convector blower type ?

Either way, if you have gas, making use of that gas would be the best option.

belfastbrm

RMS Regular
If its a gas fired boiler you have depending on kw of boiler you could get away with a good fan coil or gas fired ahu

Probly easier just to work harder hahaha

If you send me the floor size il tell you what sort of kw size you would need

I could always just sell you a good airconditioning system haha

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
gas heating as in central heating type for rads only ? Or gas that run a convector blower type ?

Either way, if you have gas, making use of that gas would be the best option.
If its a gas fired boiler you have depending on kw of boiler you could get away with a good fan coil or gas fired ahu

Probly easier just to work harder hahaha

If you send me the floor size il tell you what sort of kw size you would need

I could always just sell you a good airconditioning system haha

Its a gas boiler, heats the radiators in the toilets and kitchens plus the water but nothing in the workshop.

The floor space is about 1800sqft. I suggested working harder, staff weren't impressed with that option lol

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Domestic wise; I've a single width enclosed carport / garage. High ceiling and about 8 metres in length. Mostly timber and no insulation at present.

It's a job I'm trying to get completed hopefully within the next week and as it's attached to the house I'll be tapping in to the existing central heating system. Screwfix have an offer on slim radiators at the minute and I plan on plumbing in two medium sized rads along the main house wall that'll be controllable from within the house.

Previous to this I've been using a small electric blow heater for when I was working out there, has the place warmed up in about 20 minutes.

stanley one.jpg

And to do me in the interim (before the heating system), when the car has been stored in it I've had an oil filled Rad coming on (on a timer) overnight similar to this one;

oil filled 11.JPG

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Those round electric heaters are decent and work well, the only thing I've found when selling them is the 2kw one is fine but the 3.0 kw needs a 16 amp supply tho it's still single phase.
They work similar to a cooker element, so needs to heat up for about 20 mins then it is up to full power, but don't be expecting mad heat right away.

Heres a list of all the heaters we can get, ignore the listed prices and just ask for a particular model.

Sealey

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Sealey

2di361x.png

Here a new possibility.....the sealey rep was in showing us one today, around £195 all in for the large one and £160 all in for the smaller one.Propane so quiet and relatively fine free compared to the rockets.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Thread revival.

@lightning - is the propane burner as shown in the post above a better option than the IR20 for my wee garage, approx 200ft2

Would prefer quicker heat, and any of the IR20s I've seen appear to heat up very quickly and are good and quiet too.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Them wee IR20''s are brilliant. We used to sell and service them at my last job and the heat out of them was brilliant. Jefferson even used the IR20 to make near enough an identical one of their own lol

As guys have said before though, id make sure any heater like that gets ventilation. The fumes out of them when working in a small garage is bad.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Thread revival.

@lightning - is the propane burner as shown in the post above a better option than the IR20 for my wee garage, approx 200ft2

Would prefer quicker heat, and any of the IR20s I've seen appear to heat up very quickly and are good and quiet too.

Ir20 is probably the Job. They're great. I've no experience of the other one but seems to get good write ups too.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.