Gear box Service Price quoted was more.

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
Went to a main Stealer for a auto gearbox service and was quoted £500 which compared to 3 years ago is £200 more.
I got a call to say its done but it will be £526 i know not a lot more to some people but i have had to save money everywhere over the last couple of weeks for the £500.

I dont think its fair to be honest but what can i do really apart from never going there again.
Main Dealer was only place would do it and was told it was 3 hours work and i check the price of the kit form them £195.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
if you were quoted a flat rate and can be bothered argue your point, I’d think they’ll back down if u aren’t taking no for an answer and personally dont think ud be being unreasonable.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
A quote can become a contract if both the seller and the buyer agree. A quote (or quotation) is not a binding contract. Contract law says that a quote is not considered an offer and only acceptance of offers makes for a legally binding contract

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Absolutely **** all. It’s £26. Maybe a miscellaneous part needed replaced that they hadn’t factored in or some more labour to sort an issue whilst in there.

Price of anything 3 years ago has absolutely no reflection on price of things now. Kit at £200, 3 hours labour, so yeah that’s about right from a main dealer.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Push it. If you verbally agreed to the quote, im sure there's something written down in law that you've both accepted the quote, then it becomes a contract.

If you've a name who gave you the quote, then push further. You could always say you recorded the conversation if done over the phone. They won't know.

Boksic

RMS Regular
When you were quoted, did they give you an actual price, or was it the old "It'll be AROUND £500"?

I personally wouldn't go back to them over the money difference, but I'd go to the grave gurning about the time the garage stroked me 😂

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’d go in and ask what is the £26 for if it’s actually for something then fair enough but if they can’t cough up a reason I’d be looking to pay them £500.

billyboker

RMS Regular
OP
billyboker
Drives
Focus
@purplea4T Yeah what it was 3 years ago doesn't matter today your right.
Just getting fed up of companies putting everything up and us saying cost of living ah well but where when does it stop.

@Boksic They said 2 weeks ago the price will be £500 when you get it done i said let me go see if i can afford that i had a look and could just about rang back same guy as yesterday and said £500 he said yes i went ahead and booked problem is i don't have it in writing and in a court verbal agreements don't count.
I will not be going back to them this is not the first time i have had a problem with this showroom was charged £128 for a fault that i found out 2 days later with a recall letter that they knew about was a free replacement rang them to say and was told sorry because its already done cant help.
If i told a customer when they got to the check out sorry from picking that up to paying for it everything in you basket is 5% extra i would not have any customers.

If i go in and they say sorry we needed an extra part that's fine but labour a service agent will have a chart with the breakdown of labour for a job like that.
Another dealer in the group rang last year during a service to say they needed to replace the washer on the sump plug because it was a extra £5 more than the price they said.
Wish i had gone there but they couldn't do the job until late October.

@Rigger Think i would need to play the recording but maybe in the future something to do when ringing for price.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
@purplea4T Yeah what it was 3 years ago doesn't matter today your right.
Just getting fed up of companies putting everything up and us saying cost of living ah well but where when does it stop.

@Boksic They said 2 weeks ago the price will be £500 when you get it done i said let me go see if i can afford that i had a look and could just about rang back same guy as yesterday and said £500 he said yes i went ahead and booked problem is i don't have it in writing and in a court verbal agreements don't count.
I will not be going back to them this is not the first time i have had a problem with this showroom was charged £128 for a fault that i found out 2 days later with a recall letter that they knew about was a free replacement rang them to say and was told sorry because its already done cant help.
If i told a customer when they got to the check out sorry from picking that up to paying for it everything in you basket is 5% extra i would not have any customers.

If i go in and they say sorry we needed an extra part that's fine but labour a service agent will have a chart with the breakdown of labour for a job like that.
Another dealer in the group rang last year during a service to say they needed to replace the washer on the sump plug because it was a extra £5 more than the price they said.
Wish i had gone there but they couldn't do the job until late October.

@Rigger Think i would need to play the recording but maybe in the future something to do when ringing for price.

I know it doesn’t help now but legally they have to reimburse you for work you paid for that becomes a recall

They then claim it from the OEM

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
We ring customers to get permission to fit a key battery at a couple of pounds so whatever the extra charge was at £26 it should have been made aware to you before proceeding.
Who was the dealer? Nothing litigious or defamatory when you’re telling the truth!

billyboker

RMS Regular
OP
billyboker
Drives
Focus
I went in and spoke as nice as possible and said i was told several times it was £500 and they honoured the price i don't feel like i won something i just got the price i was told. @mikey I Trust them and my Ford gearbox hopefully will be good for 3 years ;)

davyk31

RMS Regular
Sounds like you have lost some trust in your Ford dealer 😀

As others have said it should be the quoted price unless they called you to advise of something else being needed. I would certainly want to know what the extra was for.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Verbal contracts absolutely stand up in court by the way. Loads of examples in my industry (construction) of verbal contracts holding up. You just have to tell convince a judge you are telling the truth.