Greenlight - Applying for numerous quotations

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Gammble,

Thanks for giving the sound advice.

As you have identified, whilst the actual transactions and documentation is automated a lot of our work relates to bespoke referrals to Underwriters to obtain terms.

This entails referral to the respective Underwriter and negotiating individual terms.

The problem with this is that the individuals we need to refer to are often mid/senior management (not just front line call centre staff) and are not always the easiest to get through to.

As part of the bespoke referral process Underwriters will review your record each time we apply and will look at your history manually, thus although this equates to a 'personal touch' and usually results in our being able to negotiate better terms by discussing with a person rather than a machine it does mean that they do sometimes take exception to 'tyre kickers' who require a high level of separate applications.

We do have cases where we have referred 15+ quotations to the respective Underwriter and whilst I do understand that people need to be able to know the cost of cover prior to buying a car, this is a bit excessive.

Ultimately, both Insurers and Brokers do provide free quotations but the referrals and assessments do take resources at both ends to handle.

In a manual referral environment inflated administration will equate to higher admin costs to the underwriters/brokers concerned and as a result they will usually either factor this into the quotation provided on the basis that it is likely that policy administration would be heavier than average for these cases, or may take the view that they would prefer not to continue providing quotations for numerous dream vehicles that never come to fruition.

Whilst I can see both sides of the argument, I do feel that most people would have a more defined choice (ie. one of three/four cars) when looking to buy.

Our front line staff here will take your details and look to present you in the best possible light to the respective Underwriter, but there are occasions where the Underwriters will refuse cover and we have to be the bearer of bad news.

As we obtain more Underwriters to offer cover within Northern Ireland this situation will undoubtedly improve, but in the meantime you could help us by being more targetted when applying for vehicle changes (if you're with us already and referring the likely changes together rather than in dribs and drabs.

If you have experienced a problem, or require quotations for several vehicles you can PM me directly with the details and i'll respond asap.

Doing this between us will help to present a better picture to Underwriters and is likely to result in better terms.

Kind regards

Tony

Ps. I will post this separately under a new thread as this is useful advice to all (whether the application is via Greenlight or any other broker/Insurer)

In my experience with greenlight, they keep quite good records / notes on individual customers (probably aided by the fact that it seems to be more of a manual system for pricing than an automated one from what I could gather) which is probably how they are able to justify decisions like that.

I always had great dealings with them until a fairly recent policy that I took out and without going into detail I wasn't overly impressed with the situation I was left in after speaking with them on the phone.

However I must add that I contacted Tony directly and to be fair to him he did offer to do all that he could to right the situation and I couldn't have asked for more from him, and up until that point I had always had very positive phonecalls with them for quotes and a previous policy. Although I did decide to take my business elsewhere it wasn't really through choice but more because the situation I found myself in with paperwork lost in the post etc

So in essence my advice would be to send Tony a pm on here or ask for a call from him and they might be able to work something out. Unlike most other companies they do seem to have that "personal touch" that the rest of the market lacks.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.