Group 'A' Homologation Rules

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
Can anyone provide a bit of clarification on the Group 'A' homologation rules? In particular car anyone confirm for me precisely how many cars were needed to be manufactured in order to gain Group 'A' qualification? Was in 5,000 units or 2,500?

In addition what other rules did manufacturers have to adhere to?

Many thanks.

Cess

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
from wikipedia.org

GROUP A

"To qualify for homologation, a minimum of 2500 cars of the competing model have to be built in one year, out of 25,000 for the entire range of the model (eg: 2500 Subaru Impreza WRX, out of 25,000 Subaru Impreza. Up to 1991, the requirement was a minimum of 5000 cars in one year, without regards to the entire range, but the FIA allowed "Evolution" models to be homologated with a minimum of 500 cars (eg: BMW M3 Sport Evo, Mercedes-Benz W201 Evo). Now, these cars are treated as any other model in the range."

CarbonKa

RMS Regular
Drives
potential moneyp
i'm more curious as to why... lol. You thinking of putting in a WRC entry? ;)

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Right as I have far to much time on my hands, I actually downloaded the Group 'A' rules off the FIA website.

"At least 2,500 idential examples of these cars must have been manufactured in 12 consecutive months."

"A World Rally Car (WR) is a variant of a fixed model of car, previously homolgated in Group A and must therefore be assembled like a Group A vehicle."

Rather bizarrely, Group 'A' rules do not permit sideskirts. You are only permitted mechanical limited slip diffs and are not allowed ABS or waterspray for the intercooler. The intercooler must also be retained in it's original position. Same applied for WRC cars.

How many people knew that variable valve timing was not permissible in Group 'A' or WRC?

Oh aye and the reason I wanted to know was I was trying to work out how many GT-Fours Toyota had to make to compete on Group 'A'

S_Gault

RMS Regular
wrc cars are allowed water injection coz i ve had to map 3 .

any parts suppied for car competing must be homologated parts that are in the package.

ive had to keep close eyes on this for the historic cars that i do, as part numbers etc are very strict

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.