Headunit night/day mode flickering when lights on

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Anybody any ideas into a really weird one whereby a newish Kenwood headunit (dmx7018dabs) starts to flicker between night and day theme when my side/headlights are turned on? No issue staying in daytime mode with lights off.

Have tried iso connectors directly to the headunit bypassing harness, same thing. No other interior lights show any sign of flicker. Removed all other cables and only had iso connectors in place, same issue. As soon as I plug back my previous Pioneer, no issue at all. I have my illuminated Bora dash vents tapped into the light wiring, but that is a very small drain and never caused issues before.

Is there anything daft I'm maybe overlooking or is it possibly just a fault? I'm gonna try it in the other halfs motor and see if it does the same thing but just curious as to other ideas.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Wouldn't be set to auto dim where it senses the ambient light? Then with the the orange wire in the back also trying to switch it on with the lights turned on

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
Cant se anything online about it having an ambient sensor? Plus i did this at night so should have gone dark straight away if that were the case.

Had a thought and connected it back up there now, played with the dash dimmer settings and as soon as i put it to lowest setting the headunit thought it was daytime even though sidelights were on :eek: So the headunit must be very sensitive about the voltage going to it for that part? As i say, i have dash vents tapped into lighting circuit so must be getting in the way?

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Years ago I had a Pioneer head unit that the illumination flickered if I dimmed the dash lighting. Dash lighting set at its brightest was no problem. Anything less than 75% and the head unit illumination flickered. Can’t for the life of me remember what car it was though

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
OP
DaddyCC
Drives
VW CC
Weird, tried a different Kenwood in my car and it did the exact same thing, put in my original Pioneer and no issues. Tried the Kenwoods in the other half's car and no problems there. Must be a voltage thing.