HELP!!! Still having problems with the MK4 Golf leaking!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
check the water drain holes on the bottom of your doors, clean them out and see how it does for you then. seats have the same problem, the drain holes are too small an get blocked then water overflows into the footwells. hopefully that will be wats wrong with yours and will keep u an the missuss from getin ur feet wet.

Where exactly on the bottom of the doors are these drains located dude?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Seen this dozens of times.

9 out of 10 times it's water coming in from rain tray drain holes to the wings being blocked.
If you take the wipers and scuttle panel off you'll see the pollen filter and pollen filter housing on the pass side and a black box with a pile of wiring into it on the driver's side.
When any water builds up in that part of the car it'll saturate the seals around those 2 boxes and get in. As the seals perish it gets worse.
Most people don't know how to check the pollen filter seal. You need to take off that big black box that the pollen filter and holder is clipped into. It's held on by 2 plastic nuts. The box on the other side is the same idea. If the seals are slimey you've found your problem.

You could also do a test of washing the car and then taking the door cards and inner door panels off and looking to see if the insides of the doors are wet.

By the way - if you have water showing through the carpets on both sides I'll gaurantee you have 'at least' 5 gallons of water in the car.
You'll need to strip out the entire floor to get it dried properly. That means lifting the whole carpet up and taking out the soundproofing to dry it out. It can hold a serious amount of water. The longer you leave it the more chance you have or causing rust or coroding wiring and airbag sensors.

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
did you ask on golfmkv... even thou it a mk5 site there is help with mk4 on it (y)

No Steve, to be honest Im fed up with the problem and would really appreciate it if someone on here would kindly offer to sort the issue for me for a price that is not as crazy as £600

There seems to be numerous things that could be causing the problem and drying the car out is going to be very difficult to see if we can pinpoint the source of the issue :worried:

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
take the seats out, take the carpet out

hose with a powerhose till you find the leak.

Is this easy done Pablo - Im not very confident at stripping the interior and putting it back in :worried:

I have removed half of the carpet to try and locate the leak, but when it came to the seats I was a bit apprehensive as they are heated recaros and also have a sensor of some sort on the bottom of the seats :confounded:

wally1602

The drivers side footwell and the passengers footwell behind the drivers side

I've got the excact same problem in Excactly the same Area as you ..Mines a Mk4 gti 3 door with a sunroof ...PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN AS I'VE TRIED TO LOCATE THE LEAK BUT HAVE SO FAR FAILED...:sob:

Rfg

RMS Regular
Havent seen the other thread, but have you checked the bonnet pull grommet?

Mine is currently leaking under the windscreen surround so Ill be sorting that soon enough.

Which side is it leaking?

not the A5 already!!!!:sob::sob:

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I've got the excact same problem in Excactly the same Area as you ..Mines a Mk4 gti 3 door with a sunroof ...PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN AS I'VE TRIED TO LOCATE THE LEAK BUT HAVE SO FAR FAILED...:sob:

Check the Pollen filter is secure and the pollen filter cover is secured properly and no dead leaves or any other crap are in the compartment, someone on here mentioned removing the scuttle panel and checking for gunk around the far left and right hand sides of the Scuttle panel, luckily I didn't need to do this

Your sunroof should have four drains; two rubber teats on the insides of the doors where the door is connected to the main bodywork and two under the rear bumper of the car. I would squeeze these and cut them to ensure no gunk is inside them

Check the rear bootlid to see if the piping connected to the rear wiper behind the plastic housing on the inside of the bootlid is secure or not

also check the pipes that run the water from the sunroof drains to the rubber teat drains under the rear bumper are all secure and sealed correctly, these are found behind the rear headlight clusters and should be brown in colour and should be going into a rubber grommit securely, if you notice water under your bootmat and around the back of the rear lights you've found your problem

You also need to check the seals on your ancillary door carriers for each door - if you notice water sitting on the door sills of certain doors after heavy rain this could be indication of a failing ancillary door carrier seal and if you do a google search for leaking vw golf you should find an article on the Seat forums that shows how to repair this problem, if you are attempting to reseal the doors without bringing it to a garage make sure you get another pair of hands to help - it's bit of a nightmare to take the door cards off and on with the door lock release mechanism being spring loaded

Or you could pay VW at least £600 to do all this for you, as plenty of punters on RMS will give you advice, but won't actually offer their services to help you fix the issue even if you offer to pay them, yet they'll mention how many times they have seen the issue in the past and how easy it is to fix :confounded:

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
I had this on my mk1 Leon. Took the door panels off and the metal panel inside them (took all the bolts out except for the top 2) cut the bottom halp of the seal off and repalced it with some instant gasket. If the MK4 Golfs door is similar to the Leon, you dont need to touch the door locking mechanism (found this out by screwing it off by mistake the first time i went to fix the doors seals!)

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I had this on my mk1 Leon. Took the door panels off and the metal panel inside them (took all the bolts out except for the top 2) cut the bottom halp of the seal off and repalced it with some instant gasket. If the MK4 Golfs door is similar to the Leon, you dont need to touch the door locking mechanism (found this out by screwing it off by mistake the first time i went to fix the doors seals!)

Correct lad, maybe I've poorly explained what I was describing, I mean the inner door lever that is connected to the door card has a cable on it inside the door card that opens your door and will need two sets of hands to get reattached when refitting the door card

The Seat Leon MK1, Skoda Octavia Mk1, Passat, Golf MK4 all have very simular door designs and also suffer from the same problem

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Correct lad, maybe I've poorly explained what I was describing, I mean the inner door lever that is connected to the door card has a cable on it inside the door card that opens your door and will need two sets of hands to get reattached when refitting the door card

The Seat Leon MK1, Skoda Octavia Mk1, Passat, Golf MK4 all have very simular door designs and also suffer from the same problem
Oh right, i thought you meant taking the handle itself off! Thats what i did!
The cable is easy enough connected, its the wee black palstic clip thats on the cable that got on my t1ts. I had the whole panel put back together and couldnt underseand why my door wouldnt open! :p

**Edit - Just noticed this thread is a year old!**

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
Oh right, i thought you meant taking the handle itself off! Thats what i did!
The cable is easy enough connected, its the wee black palstic clip thats on the cable that got on my t1ts. I had the whole panel put back together and couldnt underseand why my door wouldnt open! :p

**Edit - Just noticed this thread is a year old!**

Yup I had such fun with those clips

yeah a year old, it's crazy how times flies lol!!

wally1602

Check the Pollen filter is secure and the pollen filter cover is secured properly and no dead leaves or any other crap are in the compartment, someone on here mentioned removing the scuttle panel and checking for gunk around the far left and right hand sides of the Scuttle panel, luckily I didn't need to do this

Your sunroof should have four drains; two rubber teats on the insides of the doors where the door is connected to the main bodywork and two under the rear bumper of the car. I would squeeze these and cut them to ensure no gunk is inside them

Check the rear bootlid to see if the piping connected to the rear wiper behind the plastic housing on the inside of the bootlid is secure or not

also check the pipes that run the water from the sunroof drains to the rubber teat drains under the rear bumper are all secure and sealed correctly, these are found behind the rear headlight clusters and should be brown in colour and should be going into a rubber grommit securely, if you notice water under your bootmat and around the back of the rear lights you've found your problem

You also need to check the seals on your ancillary door carriers for each door - if you notice water sitting on the door sills of certain doors after heavy rain this could be indication of a failing ancillary door carrier seal and if you do a google search for leaking vw golf you should find an article on the Seat forums that shows how to repair this problem, if you are attempting to reseal the doors without bringing it to a garage make sure you get another pair of hands to help - it's bit of a nightmare to take the door cards off and on with the door lock release mechanism being spring loaded

Or you could pay VW at least £600 to do all this for you, as plenty of punters on RMS will give you advice, but won't actually offer their services to help you fix the issue even if you offer to pay them, yet they'll mention how many times they have seen the issue in the past and how easy it is to fix :confounded:

(y) Cheers Crimson i'll give it a go this weekend ,don't fancy giving £600 to VW ....Nooooooooooo Way..!!

It poured down again last night , i'm thinking of getting some Goldfish just to make a feature of it until i fix the Bloody Leak :party:

Thanks Again ,I'll let u know if i have success ...

morphal

RMS Regular
Drives
car
a friend of mine has an A3 and its leaking. he found that his polin filter was soked and the water seems to be getting in round there

hope this helps

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini

indeed similar door designs but from my Seat days i was under the impression that it was only the Seat's had the foam seals around the window carrier and speaker.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Not so miniator. After the other side in mine went last year I redone the whole car and whilst doing so my neighbours asked me what I was doing. Only so happened they had a Mk4 Golf and Mk1 Fabia with the exact same problem. You can tell its the carrier seal when you take the door panels off as there is damp marks where the water is coming in. Since fixing that, and teaching my neighbours the art, our cars are dry.

Crimson

RMS Regular
OP
Crimson
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
(y) Cheers Crimson i'll give it a go this weekend ,don't fancy giving £600 to VW ....Nooooooooooo Way..!!

It poured down again last night , i'm thinking of getting some Goldfish just to make a feature of it until i fix the Bloody Leak :party:

Thanks Again ,I'll let u know if i have success ...

no probs lad (y)

nickdee

Drives
mk4 gti
I had leaks in my golf. Various wet / damp patches appeared in the trunk, back foot wells, front foot Wells. basically I fixed it by unblocking the drainage channels from the sun roof and no more leaks. Dry car.

e60driver

RMS Regular
Drives
z4 2.5i
Years ago i used to fit windscreens for a living . The method we used to detect a leak was a bucket of water with a uv additive . We would use a handspray and a uv light to detect the leak . Im sure that all windscreen company would be able to do this . Shouldn't cost anything worth talking about . Nip into your local

rocco1973

RMS Member
Drives
2004 a4 avant
yep i had the same prob on my old car mk4 golf only thing i would say when you have the door card off unscrew the metal card a bit so the silicone gets in behind the metal card and go up each side 3 or 4 inch. lads in work with any vw skoda and audi r having the same prob.

ps rem if you park up a on the footpath the car is up one side and it will make it worse.

If you open the door and you see
This then you will have to seal the door

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,947
Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.