HID/Xenon Projector Bowl Restoration (e60)

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I've long complained about my e60 that the headlights are shockingly bad. It's a common problem on a lot of mid 2000s cars, burnt out projector bowls.

After one of my headlights ballasts failed I bought another pair of xenon headlights off @McFall1984 to keep me going which left me with a spare set of headlights to try and restore back to new.

This will be a slow burner as il be waiting on parts coming from China.

So il start off with stripping the headlights down. I had read horror stories all over the internet that these e60 have to be cut open to get access to the bowls. However I managed to get them open without damage with a heat gun and a bit of prying. Wasn't easy but it is possible.

Lens off;
IMG_20230131_221713.jpg

Angel eye shroud off;
IMG_20230131_223649.jpg

Projector assembly out;
IMG_20230131_225037.jpg

Here you can see the burnt bowl and why the light is so poor;
IMG_20230131_233844.jpg

That's all for now until parts arrive.

To be continued.....

RevT

RMS Regular
Fancy doing my X5 ones when you’re finished? It’s like driving with candles out the window.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Would you consider replacing the projector unit with a Bi-LED projector? Would be a nice little upgrade.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Looked at them but for now il stick to this as it won't throw up any errors as it is replacing like for like.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Looked at them but for now il stick to this as it won't throw up any errors as it is replacing like for like.
Very easy to use bimmercode/carista etc to change the coding to prevent codes. (I have looked into this as my sister got an f10 520d and it only has halogen lights (oddly with headlight washers) so I plan to upgrade them to xenon for her birthday.

I have built bi-led headlights for my Astra after having bi-xenon in my Insignia... Not a night and day difference, but definitely a marked difference.

Are they currently bi-xenon?

At the very least, I would consider upgrading the main beams to LED after going to the trouble of splitting them.

Super easy retrofit

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Yes currently bi xenon but as you can see from the bowls I'd be better shining a torch out the window.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Yes currently bi xenon but as you can see from the bowls I'd be better shining a torch out the window.
Cool, maybe staying bi-xenon and adding the LED mains.

I'm guessing the halogens only flash when dipped beams are off? I guess the mains could be coded to come on with the xenon mains?

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Cool, maybe staying bi-xenon and adding the LED mains.

I'm guessing the halogens only flash when dipped beams are off? I guess the mains could be coded to come on with the xenon mains?

Main halogen will flash with xenon beams off and will also stay on when xenon main has been selected so if I had the led main I'd then have full xenon and full led on.

Tbh I just need to get the lights to an acceptable standard for the commute for now. If these new bowls get it back to as new standard il be happy

The fancy stuff can come later. Those bi led do look like a good package but I think they would suffer with heat issues being enclosed in the headlight housing.

Subscribed to this!

Also if you do go the LED route and need some coding let me know I’ll sort it FOC for you :grinning:

Hopefully goes better than my last led headlight extravaganza hahaha

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Fair dos.

I had those exact ones in my insignia as main beams to compliment the bixenons for 3 years. No issues at all.

If ever you do, go for a brand like that rather than gambling with eBay/aliexpress stuff.

I learnt the hard way, buy cheap buy twice (and pull headlights apart many many times)

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Very easy to use bimmercode/carista etc to change the coding to prevent codes. (I have looked into this as my sister got an f10 520d and it only has halogen lights (oddly with headlight washers) so I plan to upgrade them to xenon for her birthday.

I have built bi-led headlights for my Astra after having bi-xenon in my Insignia... Not a night and day difference, but definitely a marked difference.

Are they currently bi-xenon?

At the very least, I would consider upgrading the main beams to LED after going to the trouble of splitting them.

Super easy retrofit

Are those aharon LEDs legal in the main beam for mot?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Are those aharon LEDs legal in the main beam for mot?
I fitted them to my sister's Alfa and they passed 3 years no problems.

I never tested my Insignia with the modified lights in, as it didn't have headlight washers.

Grey area, if you make it look oem I'd doubt anything would be said.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Update.... (told you this would be a slow burner 😂).

Bowl replacement, not a direct fit. Had to completely disassemble the new bowl from it's projector as I couldn't use the new shutter due to it being for LHD. My headlights were also active/ on a swivel so required a right bit of reworking.

IMG_20230213_210938.jpg

IMG_20230213_211327.jpg

IMG_20230213_211602.jpg

IMG_20230213_211448.jpg

IMG_20230213_213650.jpg

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Resealed with some MSI Megasil. Not sure how it will last, time will tell. No pics of that process but here are the results of only the drivers headlight complete and fitted

Before;
IMG_20231124_224222.jpg

IMG_20231120_185056.jpg

After;
IMG_20231124_211612.jpg

IMG_20231124_211951.jpg

I definitely see the difference in even one headlight done. Maybe does not show up too well in pics. It'll be interesting to see both done. @RevT

Last edited:

RevT

RMS Regular
The ones you’ll do for me will be handy done now that you know what you’re at. 👀