Hidden speed traps

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Does anybody know exactly what the laws are on police using mobile speed traps?

Does the dection device have to be fully visible or a warning sign of a device being used in a area be visable?

I ask this because I was driving down past forestside the other day and I noticed a police transit van hid in a small car park with the camera poking over the wall pointing at the main road. Both back doors were open so the graphics where not in view and the angle it was parked you couldnt tell it was a dector van, also there is no signs up on the lamposts in this area unlike some main roads where there is speed camera signs on every other post.

Could this be classed as "entrapment"?

I know there is no excuse for speeding in a built up area, but I just thing this is a fly move by the officers to gather fines rather promoting road safety.

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
http://www.psni.police.uk/index/safetycameras/pg_camera_locations.htm

The cameras are hidden in bushes or behind signs trying to catch motorists out!
Where security considerations allow, cameras meet national guidelines on visibility. For example fixed camera housings are highlighted yellow so that motorists will be aware of the camera's presence and will alter their driving behaviour accordingly. Mobile camera operators and their vans will be visible. Why do we make our cameras visible? We want to stop you speeding, not catch you speeding.

sdd

this really really pisses me of! not because i speed, because i dont as i need my licence for work and try to make sure i wont loose it, but it really frustrates me when i notice the police trying to hide themselves with the gun, especially when they are supposed to be visable.
like another instance today - i was in a shop which has a loading bay outside it. the police are always giving people tickets for parking here, fair enough its a loading bay and there is a sign to say no parking- anyway one of the police mitshibushi jeeps pulls up today, parks, moves another car on for being parked illegally and then makes his way into the shop to buy his ladyfriend a pair of hair striaghteners, and i whitnessed him having a 20 min converstaion with the shop assistants :mad:
sorry rant over!

trixtery

Drives
Clio 1.2
I have said this several times before it doesnt matter it you get frustrated at them hiding or not. What difference does it make as when you are speeding you are breaking the law end off. Im not saying that I am a perfect example as I know I speed sometimes but look at it that way

big cyril

RMS Regular
trixtery said:
I have said this several times before it doesnt matter it you get frustrated at them hiding or not. What difference does it make as when you are speeding you are breaking the law end off. Im not saying that I am a perfect example as I know I speed sometimes but look at it that way

Yes but there is a bigger picture - speeding is only one of a whole spectrum of traffic offences and one of the less dangerous ones at that.

Quite why the whole strategy should be based on speeding detection is not clear, certainly things which actually directly cause accidents such as overtaking on blind corners seem to be much less of a priority.

I'd much rather see patrol cars on the road (unmarked if needs be) with video cameras to obtain evidence of dangerous driving than have people being nicked for a few mph over the speed limit as I know which I think is more dangerous.

sonik

RMS Regular
trixtery said:

yup the law is the law, from what i understand 10% speed margins / the positioning of cameras / radar detection devices etc are only guidelines issued by the acpo

pulsator

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan GTIROC Re
sdd said:
this really really pisses me of! not because i speed, because i dont as i need my licence for work and try to make sure i wont loose it, but it really frustrates me when i notice the police trying to hide themselves with the gun, especially when they are supposed to be visable.
like another instance today - i was in a shop which has a loading bay outside it. the police are always giving people tickets for parking here, fair enough its a loading bay and there is a sign to say no parking- anyway one of the police mitshibushi jeeps pulls up today, parks, moves another car on for being parked illegally and then makes his way into the shop to buy his ladyfriend a pair of hair striaghteners, and i whitnessed him having a 20 min converstaion with the shop assistants :mad:
sorry rant over!

Officers arnt above the Law you should have taken pics as this was an illegal act not to mention not being ready for duty when on duty ;)

Woodsie

RMS Regular
Drives
F21 125d
Cops used to sit with the van on the grass verge at the traffic lights headin towards bangor out of ards. My da took a picture of them one day as we were pretty sure they weren't allowed to do that and reported it to Ards station. Haven't seen them there since :laughing:

chrisc

RMS Regular
They have to be visible from 100m away but they can get u up to 1km away so buy the time u see them they already know ur speed.

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
They sit down there all the time, even seen them hiding behind the bus stop on the other side with the van out of site. Next time im past and they are hiding there ill take a snap and send you it, might be worth taking it down the station and mention it ;)

jason Dturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
C2 GT
looking at the other post about an OAP geting run over and all that. I know police cant be everywhere at the same time, but im sure they where wasting ther time trying to catch people speeding.

They always sit on the left as you leave ards going to bangor and on the left coming in to ards from bangor (y)

saxo_man

RMS Regular
2fast4u said:
I ask this because I was driving down past forestside the other day and I noticed a police transit van hid in a small car park with the camera poking over the wall pointing at the main road. Both back doors were open so the graphics where not in view and the angle it was parked you couldnt tell it was a dector van, also there is no signs up on the lamposts in this area unlike some main roads where there is speed camera signs on every other post.
Seen this several times, is it not for checking tax though?

excursion

Drives
MR2 Rocket
tax vans are really REALLY useless if your car tax is out of date the computer that the DVLNI have automatically issues a fine to that person......this is in the fricking advert!! so why god why do teh government waste even more money on these stupid detection methods!

dee205

RMS Regular
excursion said:
tax vans are really REALLY useless if your car tax is out of date the computer that the DVLNI have automatically issues a fine to that person......this is in the fricking advert!! so why god why do teh government waste even more money on these stupid detection methods!
Because they can **** you up big time if you have an untaxed car on the road on they catch you in the act,Damien

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
At the end of the day ........its nite time, no,
its all about hitting set targets and generating
income forbig brother.AS in all aspects of life,
its about MAKING money.....

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
excursion said:

You don't get the automatic fine if the vehicle is sorn'd (statutory off-road notification). This doesn't stop youy from driving the car on the road though... but the tax vans will catch you.

jamesy

2fast4u

RMS Regular
OP
2fast4u
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
saxo_man said:
Seen this several times, is it not for checking tax though?

No def speed, was a white transit.

Tax vans are usually wee citroen things with two cameras

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.