High Octane Fuel

WSM

RMS Regular
OP
WSM
Drives
R8
Weird all these BP Super complaints. I have never noticed any issues. I'm guessing it would be lumpiness / limp driving? Or what would it be causing? Stuttering?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Weird all these BP Super complaints. I have never noticed any issues. I'm guessing it would be lumpiness / limp driving? Or what would it be causing? Stuttering?
When I filled with Maxol , almost instantly felt lumpy/stuttering slightly. May have been total coincidence but it didn't stop until I refilled with different SUL.

brendy

RMS Regular
When I filled with Maxol , almost instantly felt lumpy/stuttering slightly. May have been total coincidence but it didn't stop until I refilled with different SUL.
If knock is detected it winds back the timing pretty much instantaneously but takes longer to feed it back in once it detects no further incidents. This can take many many miles and certain conditions.

WSM

RMS Regular
OP
WSM
Drives
R8
I'll switch to Texaco based on you lads.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Maybe we should all agree to use the same garage :laughing:

Just because it's busy doesn't mean they're selling alot of SUL.

100%, but chances are it's turning over more than a less busy garage. Only way to find out is to get figures from them I guess.

Think I'm gonna find some Fuchs octane boost, though, it's had good reviews compared to others.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
100%, but chances are it's turning over more than a less busy garage. Only way to find out is to get figures from them I guess.

Think I'm gonna find some Fuchs octane boost, though, it's had good reviews compared to others.
I know quite a few who use Texaco in Comber , and it's always busy .

StephenDc2

RMS Regular

Be carefully with Octane boosters they tend to leave residue on the plugs and foul them causing misfires eventually

Anyone close to comber should stick to the Super there, it's supposed to be the best blend of additives to make it higher octane and if it's being used it should stay fresh as that's the most important aspect

For a race car where you need 100+ Octane you can buy 25L of 115 race fuel and mix 5L of that to 15L of pump fuel. The car needs to be mapped for that fuel so for your basic fast road car a fresh SUL is all you should need

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I think its more high performance cars. lol
giphy.gif

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth

Mines mapped on BP super and I had no issues. My engine has a lowered compression though so fuel quality isn't as much of an issue.

Reactions: WSM

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Be carefully with Octane boosters they tend to leave residue on the plugs and foul them causing misfires eventually

Anyone close to comber should stick to the Super there, it's supposed to be the best blend of additives to make it higher octane and if it's being used it should stay fresh as that's the most important aspect

For a race car where you need 100+ Octane you can buy 25L of 115 race fuel and mix 5L of that to 15L of pump fuel. The car needs to be mapped for that fuel so for your basic fast road car a fresh SUL is all you should need

Know a few fellas that buy high octane race fuel and add it too normal fuel in place of octane booster.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Many moons ago when I ran the r33 I'd find the lowest overall knock level on texaco and the worst on BP but still acceptably safe.

OEM maps in modern performance stuff seem very tolerant to poorer fuel though which is probably why most don't notice much difference.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Also got that from a mapper over here.

In face Bob Rawle thought @Gambit's engine was ****ed as the petrol was that bad, iirc it was also BP super.

That is correct thought id a cracked ringland or normal unleaded in it ..was a long drive home from dublin and then sent to oma for compression/leakdown test

All clear from oma switched to texaco back to Bob.."that's far better looking"