How to get new style V5

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
How do I got about getting a new style V5 log book for a car that still has the old fashioned folding green log book from many moons ago? Do I just fill out the V5 application form and send in the original log book?

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Im not sure but i wouldnt be sending in the original log book as it is a nice part of history to go with the car. If you send it in you'll never see the green book again

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Anytime I have done it (was through Coleraine - haven't done any since Swansea took over), I just sent in the green book, duplicate V5 form, and a covering letter stating I wanted the original book sent back to me.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Can you sorn it? Send in a sorn application and see what happens. That's how i got one, but that was when they where changing from old to new

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Trying to SORN online would at least tell if its on the system...

But you'd be best to call DVLA and speak to them, as if it's been out of the system for years...it might even be lost in the transfer.

If it's there, might just be a form filling exercise and handing over a few quid

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Can you sorn it? Send in a sorn application and see what happens. That's how i got one, but that was when they where changing from old to new

No it doesn't show up on any of the electronic checking systems.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I never did get round to sorting this out. Has anyone done it since Swansea took over? I really don't want to loose the original green book.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Would like to know this too.... near 6 months I've had the car and never bothered my arse yet!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If the green one was in your own name and address, maybe you could just say you lost it and ask for a duplicate. They would have a record of you being the registered keeper.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I never did get round to sorting this out. Has anyone done it since Swansea took over? I really don't want to loose the original green book.

Done it a few tiimes since Swansea took over, and have been told that the car does not exist on the system and have to go through the first registration process etc.
Have then took a screen dump of the details coming up of the car on an online MOT booking, printed it and sent it off stating something along the lines of - if it still exists on the DVA system, then it must surely be on yours, seems to have worked as I got a new style V5 sent out!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Probably just as handy to say you are the new keeper of the vehicle and apply for a new V5 on that basis.

Might mean that if there had been any issues or liabilities attached to the old car, then you should be clear of them as the new keeper.
Dont even bother mentioning you have the green V5 as they wont have a clue what it is anyway

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
If the green one was in your own name and address, maybe you could just say you lost it and ask for a duplicate. They would have a record of you being the registered keeper.

Cheers. The green book is in my name but it is my parents address. The key thing is, though, that I don't want to loose the green book in the process.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Probably just as handy to say you are the new keeper of the vehicle and apply for a new V5 on that basis.

Might mean that if there had been any issues or liabilities attached to the old car, then you should be clear of them as the new keeper.
Dont even bother mentioning you have the green V5 as they wont have a clue what it is anyway

Surely the old green book avoids the £25 fee or does that still apply anyway?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Have you spoken with Swansea? Do they have record of the car.

I had the green tax book of a car we had in the family for 25yrs. They had no record of it at all anywhere on the 'systems'.

I had to prove through photographs and a purchase receipt that I owed the car, and because it had an age related 'cherished' plate they have now locked it to that car and called it 'non transferable'

I guess they are trying to cut down on ringers and fake identities on re shelled classics.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I finally got round to ringing the DVLA about this. Got a very helpful Welsh lady and explained the situation. They have no record of the vehicle on their system but she said that was probably because it wasn't migrated when they took over the DVLNI. She took all my details and said someone will get it sorted and send me out a new V5 for it. Fingers crossed :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.