Importing a car from South of Ireland to the North

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I know this topic has been covered before and DaddyC cracks up when it's repeated, but has anyone done this recently? I'm looking at a motor there and from previous posts was led to believe that VAT had to be paid as it's never been UK registered before.

However, I just rung HMS customs and excise and they told me there was no VAT to be paid provided it's an EU member state (which it is) and the original tax in that country had been paid (VRT - which it has).

I don't believe them to be honest, but was hoping someone could clarify.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
if the car is on the road/plated in the South its just a matter of MOT and reg'ing in the North Gaz(y)

No hidden taxes/VAT if its as above^

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Really? I would always have thought that if it's never been in the UK we have to pay some form of tax/vat on it.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
VRT is indeed illegal but apparently the Irish government makes more from it than they actually get fined so it continues.

Can you imagine the deluge of UK cars to the South of Ireland if they abolished VRT.....

grimo

RMS Regular
Drives
ek9 :)
iam doing this at the moment car has to get MOT on the chassis number after it passes you need to get insured on the chassis number then you have to register the car and tax it also their is a few forms to fill out and you have to wait for the irish log book which has taken a week and a half already and still no sign on mine

halun

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320CD SPORT
grimo I dont think they'll post the southern book to the north tbh,you should of got the tax book with you along with the car

ryanpatterson

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline R33 Gtst
iam doing this at the moment car has to get MOT on the chassis number after it passes you need to get insured on the chassis number then you have to register the car and tax it also their is a few forms to fill out and you have to wait for the irish log book which has taken a week and a half already and still no sign on mine

Thats exactly it. Iv just been through this all with my car. Over Three weeks have passed and i have not got my tax book back yet. Got my tax disk within a few days though.

grimo

RMS Regular
Drives
got my book yesterday turned out the guy handn`t sent it away untill last friday so only really took one week

karron

RMS Regular
Drives
ford puma
can anybody post a sort of idiot proof step by step way of doing this and an idea of the costs ? got told a week or so ago that it could run into hundreds and needed sva or something and some other things which put me off a wee car i had seen.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
SVA only needed if the car is under 10 years old.

grimo

RMS Regular
Drives
1. buy a car
2. book mot on chassis number
3. get insurance on chassis number
4. register car when southern book comes
5. tax it
6. enjoy

danthevanman

RMS Member
Drives
VW Caddy TDI/ To
Sorry to bump this thread, but im looking at 2 cars this weekend 1 in the north and 1 in the south both have the same spec.
However I could save £1000:cool: on the 1 from the south aslong as there's no inport duty.

The car is over 10 years old(1998) so just to confirm there will be no hidden charges apart from MOT & Tax.

Many thanks

Dan

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Its the same as registering up an unregistered import AFAIK, £50 admin fee maybe or something like that. Plus you get to skip the queue @ the tax office lol, but you probably go to the trade counter anyway

danthevanman

RMS Member
Drives
VW Caddy TDI/ To
Was on hold with DVLA for 15 mins before getting through(work won't be too happy as I was phoneing from a Spanish landline)

There sending out a importing pack/forms,
Only need to insure & MOT on Chassi no.
Then pay road tax when I get paper work to get a plate made.

Then phoned Customs & Excise another long hold, there sending out form and said there is no taxes to pay :laughing:.

So all being well I might have a new car in 12hrs

Hope this is of help to others

Dan

ccni1988

RMS Member
Drives
PS13 Silvia SR20
Did this a month or so ago.

Really is quite simple all you have to do is take the irish reg form to the tax office and fill in two/three forms with your details and the details of the car pay £55 first registration fee and they will perform a background check on the vehicle.

Once this is done all you have to do is insure it and get an MOT done with the chassis no. take your paperwork to the tax office and they will give you your tax disc and reg cert. (y)

Smog

RMS Regular
I am sure my question has been asked before.
Does the car from downsouth then count as a "import" as far as insurance goes?

If not, what about a "proper import" moved from japan etc, registered downsouth then "imported" to the uk...

Ge0rge

Banned
yes still an import as its previously been registered outside the uk but i am fairly sure they do the sensible thing and recognise its not exactly a gray import....

my friend bought a uk reg 02 renault laguna it was bought new in dublin and registered in ireland til it was imported here 5 years ago.....his insurance wouldnt quote him because on there system it was a gray import!!

russboy

RMS Regular
Drives
honda civic
DOES ANYBODY OF ANY INSURANCE COMPANYS THAT WILL INSURE A SOUTHERN REG CAR ON THE CHASSIS NUMBER AS I HAVE TRIED QUITE A FEW AND THEY DONT WANT TO KNOW.CHEERS/

prior_106

RMS Regular
Drives
civic ep3 type R
ok need a bit off help here i am looking at a honda civic 1.5 sohc vtec jap import down south and was just wondering is regesterin it up here as easy as explained..
do all i need to do is buy the car,book mot on chassis no,get insured on chassis no and register it when get southeren book comes

could someone let me know as really want this wee car and would really wanna know if this is all thats needed

Ge0rge

Banned
and p.s yes thats all you do but you need to insist on taking the full book with you as they wont issue you a southern book to a northern address

russboy

RMS Regular
Drives
honda civic
Hi, I have just done mine on fri 9-3-12 everything sorted now just waiting on DVA car checks which take 3 to 5 working days.Then they will post me out my new reg number.£55 + 6 months tax total £173 .25p and listen to what George has said.