Importing a car from South of Ireland to the North

Ge0rge

Banned
I sent originals George

Ps never send anything to dva as tracked or special delivery etc. I done this with my m3 v5 as I really didn't want to loose it and wanted it processed fast. and got proof of delivery etc but they lost it. I think once someone has to sign for it that it leaves the normal postal route within the building and ends up under big jim'a coffee mug at reception.
lol this sort of thing never happened me yet when I've sent anything but I always send copies for that reason and found it hard to explain to people why, now I can explain it perfectly lol

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
Help.

So I'm looking at buying a classic in south. Originally sold in 87 out of a Dublin dealership so not sure if it's imported from uk or not as yet. It's been off the road in the south for a while and il be buying it privately. Can anyone list what needs to be done;
What have I to get etc to make this as smooth as possible if it goes ahead?

Thanks in advance

Ge0rge

Banned
order the pack online, pack arrives, confusses the **** outa you, send it away pleased at the fact that its done, recieve back in the post again 2 weeks later correct mistakes to have it returned as the cover note was 1 day out while they were processing it even tho it covered the date form was filled out (rang beforehand as i was worried they might not get it in time was told it will be ok) eventually got it sorted the other day after months of ****ing about, used to be a lot more easy, mind you im sure it will be easier next time when by then they will have changed it again...

first prepare to get annoyed
mot it on chassis number
insure it on chassis number
get cover note
order the pack online
theres instructions in that if you need them
register it as PLG as petrol car requires more paperwork
sign up for a GOV. account to do the online NOVA process to show theres no import duty needing paid and print it off

send it all away and wait for them to send it back for something stupid

Lee

RMS Regular
There was another thread on here that was quite useful iirc. Not the worst thing in the world if you take your time. Only thing that was wrong on mine was the payment for 6 months tax was wrong by about £2. It had obviously changed from what was stated in the guide I got with the pack. This did mean they sent everything back. Although they had ticked everything else off. Get the irish tax book anyway.

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
There was another thread on here that was quite useful iirc. Not the worst thing in the world if you take your time. Only thing that was wrong on mine was the payment for 6 months tax was wrong by about £2. It had obviously changed from what was stated in the guide I got with the pack. This did mean they sent everything back. Although they had ticked everything else off. Get the irish tax book anyway.
Thanks for that, he has that thankfully so if it's bought I'm hoping for a smooth transfer lol does it get an age related plate here then?

Lee

RMS Regular
Thanks for that, he has that thankfully so if it's bought I'm hoping for a smooth transfer lol does it get an age related plate here then?

Not too sure on that. I just got a new reg allocated but my car is jap>roi>uk and never been reg'd in UK before me. If your 205 had been imported from UK originally then maybe you could get the original plate I don't know.

Its not a process I'd like to be doing everyday but not really as bad as people make out and well worth doing if the car is worth buying.

Have a read at this thread:

Importing vehicle from ROI to NI - tips

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

I asked for an age related NI plate for the Manta I brought in from Germany last year, ended up getting an age related English plate for it, which was better than a new NI one.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Also if you can register it to an English address you wont need to insure it, bit of a loophole in that you dont need to send your insurance cert to them. You can only insure a car for a maximum of 28 days on the chassis no, once that is up, you cant even go to a different company. The 28 days should be ample, but if it runs into complications then the fun will start, been there done that!

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
lol do I have do declare the purchase straight away? Or can I leave it a while?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Can be done at anytime. Supposed to be done within 48 hours or something from entering the country, but if bought privately who is to know the exact date?! Might ask for a purchase receipt, but be creative!
Takes about 10 minutes to do online!

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
Can be done at anytime. Supposed to be done within 48 hours or something from entering the country, but if bought privately who is to know the exact date?! Might ask for a purchase receipt, but be creative!
Takes about 10 minutes to do online!
Do I need to register to the gov thing? Can you only do the nova after buying the car or what I take it?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Cant remember if you have to register or not for a one off NOVA, I already had a HMRC log in so used that. You probably coukd do it before you buy it, but its pointless, only takes 10 minutes online.
From experience what i do is
Apply for import pack from DVLA
MOT car
Make sure you have all paperwork that import pack asks for, MOT, Irish log book (can be done without but it is a SERIOUS hassle), NOVA completed, V55/5 filled in, £55 first reg fee, cheque for tax at what ever rate it is at the minute.
Once i know all is in order then i get insurance sorted so it gives you as much time as possible.

ciarandeery1

RMS Regular
Drives
205 gti
Cant remember if you have to register or not for a one off NOVA, I already had a HMRC log in so used that. You probably coukd do it before you buy it, but its pointless, only takes 10 minutes online.
From experience what i do is
Apply for import pack from DVLA
MOT car
Make sure you have all paperwork that import pack asks for, MOT, Irish log book (can be done without but it is a SERIOUS hassle), NOVA completed, V55/5 filled in, £55 first reg fee, cheque for tax at what ever rate it is at the minute.
Once i know all is in order then i get insurance sorted so it gives you as much time as possible.
Many thanks that should make it a lot clearer for me, ordered a pack there aswell.

Lee

RMS Regular
Also if you can register it to an English address you wont need to insure it, bit of a loophole in that you dont need to send your insurance cert to them. You can only insure a car for a maximum of 28 days on the chassis no, once that is up, you cant even go to a different company. The 28 days should be ample, but if it runs into complications then the fun will start, been there done that!

I thought I might cut it fine regarding the 28 days insurance because of getting everything sent back to make ammendments. I remember ringing my insurance to tell them the situation and from what I remember they were willing to be flexible.

Bmwbreaker

RMS Regular
Looking to take a car that was English reg way back, now Irish reg and book, back to Scotland. Has been off the road so will need MOT. What process do I need to do to take it in and re register it to a Scottish address? Will also be getting the MOT in the North but that shouldnt matter but do I need it on UK plates to MOT it?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looking to take a car that was English reg way back, now Irish reg and book, back to Scotland. Has been off the road so will need MOT. What process do I need to do to take it in and re register it to a Scottish address? Will also be getting the MOT in the North but that shouldnt matter but do I need it on UK plates to MOT it?

You'll not be able to register it in the UK until it is MOT'd.
Book MOT on chassis no, its the first thing to do!

Bmwbreaker

RMS Regular
You'll not be able to register it in the UK until it is MOT'd.
Book MOT on chassis no, its the first thing to do!
cheers mate. after the MOT whats the next step? paperwork and re reg it. because it is ex UK car whats the route for this

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
cheers mate. after the MOT whats the next step? paperwork and re reg it. because it is ex UK car whats the route for this
The only difference i made with an ex UK vehicle was that i filled in the old UK reg on the V55/5 when sending it off, meant i got original reg back. See my post above for the steps to take, very rarely goes through straight away and i have lost count of the amount of times i have done it now!

Bmwbreaker

RMS Regular
THanks. What's the story with the compliance form thats needed from the manufacturer. Is this needed if it's an ex UK car?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
IMG_0265.JPG
Seen this waiting to be collected in port last night.just in time for Donegal.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Trade insurance helps hugely with the insurance on chassis number carfuffle. Just put your certificate in with your application. Don't actually need to add it to the MID

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
hi Folks
Been offered a relelativley cheap 2015 berlingo, on southern plates though
I have read everyones comments and was just looking to see if there was any changes in the past two-three years from what has been stated above and also it is a commercial vehicle so are the fees etc and process same as the car?

thanks Nicky

Gaz

This space available for rent
OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Pretty much the same process though I'd double-check the VRT/VAT situation, iirc panel vans have no VRT and crew cab type ones pay a reduced amount. I don't know if this has any bearing on the VAT you pay (if any) when you bring it into the UK.