Insurance claim on car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
my mate is curious about what way insurance will work. What sort of value etc they might pay. After his A5 was stolen. It's a 2012 3.0 auto s-tropic type thing
Can you push insurance on there valuation ? Will they try offer something pitiful compared to realistic value ? How long before they pay etc

Anyone been through it :grinning:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
They'll offer bottom book price, he'll then have to go back to them showing them adverts of cars pretty much exactly the same as his(spec,miles, colour, vag oem+ness)and try and go for that value from them, probably minus excess.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They offered me three times what I was expecting. That was based on the pre accident condition of the car apparently. I was all set for a huge fight about it, but obviously didn't need to.

Do they use the value given at the time of quotation?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
They offered me three times what I was expecting. That was based on the pre accident condition of the car apparently. I was all set for a huge fight about it, but obviously didn't need to.

Do they use the value given at the time of quotation?
Only if you've an agreed value I thought.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Seems to really depend on the insurer. My bora was valued far more than I thought, and he even took into considerations the modifications and the money I spent on it. Was insured with Adrian Flux at the time, but was being dealt with by AI Claims.

I was getting just under £2000 for a 10 year old Bora with 168,000 miles that had other slight damage before the accident.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Typically they'll low ball you at first so be prepared to argue for a bit more, bit of trawling the adverts for similar models, they valued my bora at 2500 at first and I got them up to 3400 in the end

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So generally pretty realistic.

Might be different when talking of values around 20 grand though.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Gave my dad 8 or 900 quid for his honda jazz that we paid 1350 for no more than a year before. Had to argue to get that off them. Said there was plenty for sale in that price bracket but we had to point out they had twice the mileage and were across the water etc. it was parked at the door at the time and some t**t run into the back of it and totally destroyed it.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
The wife got good money for her jeep the time she wrecked it with no arguing.

colin84

RMS Regular
Rather than start a new thread.

My friend had a woman drive into the side of him, the car is decently a write off.

Any ideas on the book price for a 2006 320d se with 150k?

RevT

RMS Regular
I’d say it’ll be £1400 region unless he can find adverts for similar spec cars in similar condition for any more.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Up to £1500 with the mileage unless you’d have proof of mint condition, full service history, low owners etc?

colin84

RMS Regular
I waited to see if he got the money before updating this, but somehow my friend got £3,180 for his car. No arguments or proving needed. His own insurance contacted him to see if he would be happy with said offer and he nearly fell off the chair. The other parties insurance company offered £2500, and the rest came from a dismantler who bought the car, both sending separate cheques.

RevT

RMS Regular
I waited to see if he got the money before updating this, but somehow my friend got £3,180 for his car. No arguments or proving needed. His own insurance contacted him to see if he would be happy with said offer and he nearly fell off the chair. The other parties insurance company offered £2500, and the rest came from a dissmantler who bought the car, both sending separate cheques.

I might wreck mine some day soon then, be nice to get almost double what it's worth. :joy:

colin84

RMS Regular
I might wreck mine some day soon then, be nice to get almost double what it's worth. :joy:

I was shocked, he paid £2500 for the car about 4 months ago. The paint work wasn't great, and was showing signs of needed a new flywheel in the end. He ended up buying the Accord type S off here, and it's twice the car. He is a happy man to say the least.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I waited to see if he got the money before updating this, but somehow my friend got £3,180 for his car. No arguments or proving needed. His own insurance contacted him to see if he would be happy with said offer and he nearly fell off the chair. The other parties insurance company offered £2500, and the rest came from a dismantler who bought the car, both sending separate cheques.

And this is why insurance is going through the roof lol

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
All this stuff about book value is bull****, you are offered the current market value of the car, which is different from book

I've had 2 non fault accidents, one in 2012 and one this year in my daily, I was offered a decent amount on both. Both times they used a 3rd party to attain the market value of the car

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
All this stuff about book value is bull****, you are offered the current market value of the car, which is different from book

I've had 2 non fault accidents, one in 2012 and one this year in my daily, I was offered a decent amount on both. Both times they used a 3rd party to attain the market value of the car
Same with my bora, assessor looked and current cars as close as possible to mine and give me a price based on that, then took into account some of the aftermarket parts fitted. Was through Adrian Flux at the time.

Was offered £1950 or there abouts, was £19** something anyway, that was in 2014 for a 2003 bora with 168,000 mile. I was more than happy

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Mrs BarryPort hit a stationary Freelander 100 yards from the house in my Shogun the other night on black ice.
Long story short she was only insured 3rd party as I never put her on my policy & didn’t even know she had taken it out to the shops while I was out.

£7k Shogun now up on Donedeal hit for £2.5k as unrecorded, without chassis damage & no airbag deployed.

South Armagh buyer wastes no time & is in my yard with a tilt & slide lorry within 4hrs.

Me: ‘Well are you breaking her or putting her back on the road?’

South Armagh gentleman: ‘Puttin her through insurance bai. I’l take a policy out fully comp & then after the next frost bai *clicks fingers* claim she was hit. Then we’ll buy her back n break ‘er’.

I didn’t know whether to be impressed or pissed off.

Ge0rge

Banned
Mrs BarryPort hit a stationary Freelander 100 yards from the house in my Shogun the other night on black ice.
Long story short she was only insured 3rd party as I never put her on my policy & didn’t even know she had taken it out to the shops while I was out.

£7k Shogun now up on Donedeal hit for £2.5k as unrecorded, without chassis damage & no airbag deployed.

South Armagh buyer wastes no time & is in my yard with a tilt & slide lorry within 4hrs.

South Armagh gentleman: ‘Puttin her through insurance bai. I’l take a policy out fully comp & then after the next frost bai *clicks fingers* claim she was hit. Then we’ll buy her back n break ‘er’.

Neither.....you learn a new trick everyday, though if you are really pissed off I'm sure there's a way of ****in up his plan lol

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

Nice of him to tell you he’s going to commit fraud lol! Seriously though if you were going to do that you wouldn’t tell anyone would you?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.