Insurance for driving any car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ngourley

I'm 18 and I am wondering is there an insurance company that will take me on for driving anybody elses car aswell as my own. Any company i've tried so far says I must be 25. I don't mind paying extra for this.
Everyone round my way seems to think if you are fully comp you can drive anyones car but as far as I can see this just ain't true. Anyone have any ideas?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
well i had 3rd party only cover with ford fre ins and now i am 22 and only got it back again via open & direct which is very handy but it MUST state that you have 3rd party cover in yer documents!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
yes, a worrying number of people i have spoken to recently about driving other cars say they are insured on any car when i questionned them, jus tbecause they have a fully comp policy in their own name. this is NOT the case however.

most people only do it for over 25's.

the best thing to do is get phoning and see.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
but i have to admit when i had it at 17 and then didn't at 19 i was lost as i simply couldnt' just drive "anything" but it's great again as i no longer have the worry of driving another car :laughing:

tim

RMS Regular
except that if u write it off, u'll be paying for it yourself?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
correct as it's 3rd party cover only! but thats why ye drive sensible and hope that if any1 hits ye that they are insured but it's the same as driving her own car really!

lets face it i ain't gonna borrow a mates GSi astra and rag the ballix outta it round the back roads trying to right her off, lol

HMS Skyliner

Drives
R32 Skyliner GTR
ngourley said:
I'm 18 and I am wondering is there an insurance company that will take me on for driving anybody elses car aswell as my own. Any company i've tried so far says I must be 25. I don't mind paying extra for this.
Everyone round my way seems to think if you are fully comp you can drive anyones car but as far as I can see this just ain't true. Anyone have any ideas?

9 out 10 insurance companies will not even concider giving this to you, unless you have a lot of money, and by this i mean if you had loads insured with a company and they do it as a expensive favour to you.

Why on gods earth do you need it anyway or did you just run out of ideas for threads so you decided to put this up?

ps the third party cover from a comp pol is very restricted ie, most insurance companies only offer it if you are over 25 (this dont appLy to some free insurances) you need permisson from the person that owns the car you want to drive, you can not be the registed owner of the car, it must have tax and the most important rule that most people dont know is... the vehicle you are going to drive third party must have insurance placed on it already, ie you cant just drive your mates old car that has beed sitting on his driveway uninsured. oh and some companies will restrict the value of the vehicle you are wanting to drive TP.
This option on insurance policy is for emergencies really and has been under review by a lot of insurance companies due to abuse, so may disapear in the near future, as some comapnies have got rid of the option already.

ngourley

OP
N
costa del sol said:
did you just run out of ideas for threads so you decided to put this up?

Thats kinda a stupid thing to say especially when its my first post.

Was asking a a question to get an answer not stupid things like that. I know insurance companies are going to get a rid of it in the future i've been told that myself. Just thought it would be better seeing if I could get covered for driving around in other peoples cars rather than what everyone else does and only hope that they are covered.

aaron_m

RMS Regular
i insured my ka when i was 21, TPFT through Quinn Direct and was able to drive other insured cars third party, not that i ever needed to. this was a couple of years ago but.....

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Christopher said:
only companies i think that do it are quinn direct and farmers union
Any insurance i've had allowed me to drive other cars third party :confounded:

Bronk

RMS Regular
my insurance certificate says im allowed to drive any car 3rd party as long as i have owner's permission.. but dont wana tempt fate incase happens

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.