Insurance required?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
We are trading the wife's Mini in. Currently its garaged and her insurance has just ran out. I am picking up a new car within the next two weeks and so my insurance will be transfer to it. My wife will then be insuring the FN2 thats currently under my name. I was wondering if i need to buy insurance for the mini? All i need it for is driving from the house to the dealers less than ten miles away. Would my current cover it as i am allowed to drive other cars third party or would i need some sort of temp cover??

Thanks

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I would imagine you will need temp cover.
I think third party only works if there is a current insurance policy on the vehicle you wish to drive 3rd party.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Usually the car must have a valid insurance policy for your 3rd party extension to cover you.

But check with your own insurer.

neil-c

RMS Regular
I had a similar issue when I had to move my old car before I sold it. I phoned my insurer, explained the situation and they added the old car to my policy for 48 hours for £20. I'm with Admiral.

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
Drives
Mx5
No, you will not be covered at all. There needs to be valid insurance on the Mini in order for it to be driven under a different policy. The law changed a few years ago i'm afraid.
My brother learnt the hard way, he did the same thing and on the way to the dealers the car in front braked hard to avoid a dog that ran out. Unfortunately he had no working brake lights and my brother ran into the back of him.
Regrettably he is still paying the bill for it and got darted by the fuzz for no insurance.

DON'T RISK IT

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Don't risk it. £200 fine if you're caught then recovery costs (£150 I think), 6 points on license and you'll have to get insurance on the car to get it out of recovery yard

RevT

RMS Regular
Depends entitely on insurers. The extension with some companies can be used without a policy on place on the other car. Ring and explain the situation and see what they say.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Either you or your wife should be able to add it for 1 day via your own insurance company. Worth checking if you can drive another car TP if it's not insured though.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We are trading the wife's Mini in. Currently its garaged and her insurance has just ran out. I am picking up a new car within the next two weeks and so my insurance will be transfer to it. My wife will then be insuring the FN2 thats currently under my name. I was wondering if i need to buy insurance for the mini? All i need it for is driving from the house to the dealers less than ten miles away. Would my current cover it as i am allowed to drive other cars third party or would i need some sort of temp cover??

Thanks

And add to what others have said. If it is taxed, then legally it must be insured. Doesnt matter if it's in a million pieces or crushed etc...That's another aspect to it.

So not only are you potentially falling foul of having no insurance to drive....it's also having no insurance whilst being taxed ( although no idea if anyone has been penalised for that one yet )

If you've no intention of using the car, can you not dump it off at the dealer and get it out of your name which removes any liabilities ?

RevT

RMS Regular
And add to what others have said. If it is taxed, then legally it must be insured. Doesnt matter if it's in a million pieces or crushed etc...That's another aspect to it.

So not only are you potentially falling foul of having no insurance to drive....it's also having no insurance whilst being taxed ( although no idea if anyone has been penalised for that one yet )

If you've no intention of using the car, can you not dump it off at the dealer and get it out of your name which removes any liabilities ?

I believe that is a mainland thing at the minute, not being enforced here.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Bound to know someone local with traders that would just drive it down for you, or as said above, most big main dealers employ people who just drive cars to and from customers houses or work, so they might have someone to do it for you, if you are near lisburn id drive it up for you under my trade policy.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.