Is the use of red diesel in a private car a criminal or civil offence?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
So just to triple check, is there nothing even slightly questionable about the vege oil option?

It sounds legit

Phil

As far as I am aware it is perfectly legit.
At the time I was running veg I checked it out and it was as @Nicky and I have stated.
There is a dedicated vegetable oil/ alternative fuel forum which should give you the full facts.
I was never dipped in that time, which I suppose would be the ultimate test.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
For what its worth I don't use red, but I am interested to find out the implications of using it as I have seen vets, doctors etc filling up and I would have thought this could have serious implications for their career.

Folks will always risk it and justify it with huge saving claims. When's the last time you've actually saw the dippers never mind been stopped. I've saw them once and never been stopped in 16/17 years!!

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I joined one of those fb dippers warning pages to see if they were accurate. I was within the reported locations a few times within five minutes of the so called warnings, and there were NEVER any checkpoints there.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Many many times I've seen the black HiLux's they cruise about in, and I've seen Customs/DVA cruising about and on the road pulling mostly commercial vehicles into weighbridges where they would be checked.

Over the past 2-3 years, this is ongoing and everywhere. But it is mostly commercial stuff, big lorries, big vans etc

So there is no question they are out there. But they really dont seem to be targeting cars, so you'd need to either be very unlucky or do something very stupid to get caught in a car.

I've driven though a full on Customs stop a couple of times, once on the Sydenham bypass a few years ago en-route to the city airport and they had quite a few cars stopped there.
Another was just outside the weighbridge at Nutts Corner on the Moira Road, the layby was full of vehicles. I was stopped and asked usual nonsense, but just let on through.
Both of those probably about 3-4 years ago though

Those checkpoints had police stopping, with customs in attendance too. Customs do have loads of powers, not sure if they actually have any authority to stop a vehicle that's being driven on the road though which is why police do that bit.

Once you're stopped or parked up somewhere, different matter.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Seen customs pulling in commercial stuff on M2 foreshore weighbridge before, not uncommon

avo5021

RMS Regular
Customs and DVA both have the Power to stop vehicles when being driven on a road.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Do the muppets from the DVA who drive about dangerously in the people carriers cutting people up have any powers to stop people ?

They seem to fly about flat out then flag down lorries etc to direct them to the weigh bridges

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.