Isle of Man to Northern Ireland

Jonty87

RMS Regular
Hi All,

So i am starting to look into bringing a car from the isle of man to NI. Has anyone any recent experience of this with regards paperwork and also travel as ferries from douglas to Belfast are scarce.

Thanks

Gambit

RMS Regular
was it a previous registered in Uk before it went to the Isle of Man?

if so then there is nothing to pay, you just bring it back, MOT it on chassis number then apply to DVLA to re-register it, you need the Isle of Man Log book for it so make sure you get it. you can even get the old UK plate back on it - if its a nice plate and still available.

bring it in via Dublin as ferries will operate all year round - or store it over there until Belfast ferries are operational again.

Reactions: Gaz

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87

if so then there is nothing to pay, you just bring it back, MOT it on chassis number then apply to DVLA to re-register it, you need the Isle of Man Log book for it so make sure you get it. you can even get the old UK plate back on it - if its a nice plate and still available.

bring it in via Dublin as ferries will operate all year round - or store it over there until Belfast ferries are operational again.
Yea it was previously registered up in scotland before being imported to the IOM in 2010. The previous reg is naf so may look into my own stamp on it.

The dublin ferry looks only summer times and about twice a month. So looking into heysham, then drive up to cairnryan and across to belfast which would be heartbraking but needs must.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Yea it was previously registered up in scotland before being imported to the IOM in 2010. The previous reg is naf so may look into my own stamp on it.

The dublin ferry looks only summer times and about twice a month. So looking into heysham, then drive up to cairnryan and across to belfast which would be heartbraking but needs must.
Can you not work it Douglas -> Liverpool -> Belfast ?

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87
Yea i might do that, just not keen on the long boat from Liverpool to belfast, But i suppose its six to one driving time up to cairnryan and then a boat across, i may aswell sit on a boat and chill out!

purplea4T

RMS Regular

I got hit with VAT on a car brought in from Jersey that was previously registered in England. Went back onto its original plate which was nice as the windows were all etched.

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87
I got hit with VAT on a car brought in from Jersey that was previously registered in England. Went back onto its original plate which was nice as the windows were all etched.
I suppose there is no way to forsee if there will be a vat charge after changing back to original plates for import? If you dont mind me asking what sort of money woughly did you have to pay the VAT man?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I suppose there is no way to forsee if there will be a vat charge after changing back to original plates for import? If you dont mind me asking what sort of money woughly did you have to pay the VAT man?
There’s no way. You’ll have to complete the NOVA forms to bring it back into NI. DVLA won’t re register the car without proof of it either being paid or not being required it you’ll have to do the paperwork. It’s the usual VAT rate at 20% - they want to see an invoice or bank transfer proof for the amount. Don’t be tempted to try and work a move either - they know what the market is for cars and the retail values.

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87
I have rang dvla and Hmrc and not a soul can give me an answer if I will need to pay vat on the car. The car was first bought payed for and registered in Scotland from 2008 the bought by new owner in 2010 and moved to Isle of Man on Manx plates. I’m keen for it but not worth paying 20% vat if that’s the case. Even the internet websites are as clear as mud

Gambit

RMS Regular
@Jonty87

1701710521169.png

Gambit

RMS Regular
Ahh right so no need for a NOVA and so no need to bother the tax vat man then as far as I can see/understand
that looks to be the way just bring it back MOT and then re-reg it. thats what i done but that was 20yrs ago so wasnt sure if it had changed when @purplea4T mentioned it about Jersey & VAT but seems its still the same rule for the Isle of Man

Jonty87

RMS Regular
OP
Jonty87
that looks to be the way just bring it back MOT and then re-reg it. thats what i done but that was 20yrs ago so wasnt sure if it had changed when @purplea4T mentioned it about Jersey & VAT but seems its still the same rule for the Isle of Man
I have still to see the car but at least i can get my ducks in a row before hand. Hoping it all goes to plan and the car is as the owner says and pictured. She is a mk5 r32 im hoping to bring back.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I registered one here once and they came after me for the VAT AFTER it was MOTd and taxed! Luckily I was able to prove the VAT had already been paid on it as it was a jap import to England before going to IOM and it had all that paperwork as back up.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Yea i might do that, just not keen on the long boat from Liverpool to belfast, But i suppose its six to one driving time up to cairnryan and then a boat across, i may aswell sit on a boat and chill out!
Get the evening sailing from Liverpool and sleep through it. They have new ships which are great. Even without a cabin, £25 extra gets you in the lounge where you can sleep on a recliner and help yourself to free snacks and drinks, including beer and wine.

RevT

RMS Regular
Get the evening sailing from Liverpool and sleep through it. They have new ships which are great. Even without a cabin, £25 extra gets you in the lounge where you can sleep on a recliner and help yourself to free snacks and drinks, including beer and wine.

The cabin is worth the £60 all day long anyway.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Haven't done it in recent years, but bought 3 IOM cars previously with some help from @Gambit and it was all very straightforward. Just a pity the Belfast/IOM crossings are much more limited in winter months, with one of the purchases I had to fly to IOM, ferry to England, drive to Scotland, and ferry back to NI. Was always my go-to place for low mileage stuff!