Kirkistown budget aerodeck track car build.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hippyross

RMS Regular
So I've been down kirkistown a few times this year and every time I go down I come home thinking I'd love a wee track car.

At the last track day me and a mate where standing watching the likes of mg zrs, St focus, protons ect all cars that can be bought under a grand and less going round all day with no bother and seem to go round pretty well for what they are.

We started looking for on Gumtree and found a 140hp 206 with 60k that needed a clutch for £300 sounded like cheap fun, so went to have a look a few nights later and turned out the rear axle was gone and was going to end up silly money to fix the axle, clutch and service etc so we went home and kept looking a few days later I found a b18 civic aerodeck and thought this could be good craic and as I've had a few mb6s I kind of know my way around them, also we are trying not to spend too much money so wanting be able to pick up cheap second hand parts and keeping 15" wheels will keep the tyre prices low.

We went and had a look mechanicaly it's really good for a car with 128k, it's had a respray not great but a good polish and it I'll look grand and it's going on a track so never bothered me and I've already got a car that needs my attention paint work wise :confounded:

So we talked money and got a set of bilsteins, nuspeed springs and an itr anti rollbar in the deal and a deposit was left and picked it up the next night.

And there she is after a good wash.
DSC_0902.JPG

DSC_0898.JPG

We also picked up some used hankook slicks at handy money and some used ds2500.
DSC_0917.JPG

So far I got they boys in work to change the timing belt for an oem Honda belt and koyo tensioner and take out the Aircon.
New belt and tensioner.
DSC_0940.JPG

Belt on and on the build up.
DSC_0942.JPG

And bits that we don't need.
DSC_0944.JPG

I've a fuel, oil filter, plugs, rotor arm, distributor cap and 5.1 brake fluid coming so I'll do that next.

Plans are to gut the whole interior I mean everything to make it as light as possible, may even perspex in the windows we will see how much that cost first tho.
Get the shocks and springs in.
We want to make it a nice build so may get brakes powder coated as I've a rebuild kit for the fronts and they will be stripped anyway.
Make a front splitter out of ply wood or alloy sheet like this one below and try using the fog light holes for ducting.
Possibly a cold air feed from the head light.
Also thinking of taking the butterflys out of the inlet.
And what ever springs to mind while we are at it.
received_10202626343097305.jpeg

On the shopping list
96 spec itr wheels or similar
Buckets and harnesses
Wet tyres
Jdm 98spec manifold.

If anyone has or knows of any bits let me know.

Hopefully get on with with striping it out soon.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Not too many aerdecks left im sure. I always wanted one as you know. Was it local?

hippyross

RMS Regular
OP
hippyross
Small update.
As the car is going to get ragged round a track I thought who's better at pointing out problems on cars than our good old MOT and the tester found a a few small problems, one was a nice wee hole in the drivers sill, two the drivers front caliper binding and three hand brake in balance.

First I got all the calipers off striped and away to get blasted and powder coated at polished alloys, it's a good excuse to get the brakes cleaned and rebuilt as when we bought the car it had new calipers on the rear but and came with a rebuild kit for the fronts.
DSC_0959.JPG

Also bought Brembo rear discs £40 thought that was a steel tbh, and I've new hand brake cables in the roofspace from years ago.
And almost forgot we got the hel braded hose deal from the other day.

Got stuck into the welding on Thursday night a few burns on the arms and hands lol
DSC_0956.JPG

Wouldn't be like a Honda to have a bit of rust lol
Welded it up myself I'm no welding expert but I think that I'll do ok I hope.
DSC_0960.JPG

Still to service it but going to fit baffle plates to the sump before that.
Hoping to pick up dc2 wheels at the weekend, bidding on a set of RPD front discs and looking at some sparco seats.

bob

RMS Regular
Nice project, should have plenty of fun with that! Am I right in saying an inlet manifold makes a big difference to those engines?

hippyross

RMS Regular
OP
hippyross
Nice project, should have plenty of fun with that! Am I right in saying an inlet manifold makes a big difference to those engines?

Supposed to I've one on my daily but I changed exhaust manifolds, exhaust, throttle body at the same time so not sure what difference it made on its own.
Best thing would be an teg gearbox but this will get a 2.5" system on it and that's it the plan atm is a turbo next year as it will be cheaper in the long run, we will see.

hippyross

RMS Regular
OP
hippyross
Quick lunch time update.
Haven't done much as with Christmas and all so last night I got the sump off and welded in the baffle plates.

DSC_1027.JPG

Looks like bird **** as I found out the welder had no gas and I had to just persevere with it.

While it was off I hit it with wire wheel and drip of etch and some black htp as it looked a bit rusty.
DSC_1022.JPG

DSC_1026.JPG

DSC_1028.JPG

DSC_1030.JPG

Then fitted back on with a new gasket.

After that I changed the fuel filter, oil filter, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and new oil.

Still waiting on calipers ffs hopefully next week and then get an mot and on to striping and shocks etc.

Lee

RMS Regular
Looking good and will be some craic! Sure get an EK9/ITR box in there and then take it out and sell if you ever turbo it. I'm sure you know the difference it makes to them, esp if going on track!

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
Great project. I know of a few lads who have bought Civics for Kirkistown, cheap fun and they love the competition between eachother.
I'll be watching this for updates.

hippyross

RMS Regular
OP
hippyross
Sat down thinking this will take a while as it did with my vtis but as it turns out it was easier the second time lol.

That colour :cool: they will match the brake lines. #racecar lol
DSC_1048.JPG

Fronts got new pistons and seals and rears where new.
DSC_1052.JPG

Front all nice and shiny
DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1056.JPG

Close enough
14847686777451751235664.jpg

Hopefully get them all fitted tomorrow and then on to mot.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.