knocking noise when braking at a slow speed.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Right dudes the old man has a problem with the celica, when he's braking at slow speeds and coming to a stop the car is making a loud knocking noise from the right front wheel. Now he's just had the disks skimmed to try and resolve the problem (that hasn't worked), the springs are fine and the caliper seem to be sitting ok with everything that needs to be tight tightened well. Any ideas as it's frying his brain. The noise only happens when slowing down to a stop or just crawling speed and makes the noise to the motion of the wheel. It can't be felt in the pedal either and does not seem to have effected braking power in any way.

opinions much appreciated ??????????????

thanks Lee

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
Sounds like the pads may be moving chum! Are there shims fitted to the pads? Also are the pins well greased up etc? I know we use grease in work which Toyota sent us especially for this issue, remove the pads and clean every thing down, slide the caliper pins out and clean them and pack them with grease, grease the pads and refit ! Should cure it

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
who suggested skimming the discs would resolve a knocking noise ????

What age etc of celica ? Does it have silly multilink front suspension that always wears ?

Lee A

RMS Regular
OP
Lee A
Drives
Accord types k24
Well the front right disc was warped so it needed skimmed anyway which proved it wasn't creating the noise. It's a 1991 celica I'll have to look at the suspension as I'm not sure

Damage_Inc

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo VIII
I had this problem, to the eye there was nothing wrong until you got the wheels spinning on the ramp. Turns out it was a loose brake pad

Lee A

RMS Regular
OP
Lee A
Drives
Accord types k24
They were done in a local engineering firm so their safe. Will have a mosey at his pads and see if their is anything different. He's looked over it so many times and is forking out money for silly things to try and solve it

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I had a loose pad on the Lotus (spring wrong way round). That made a knocking noise at low speed.

Another option is suspension as Stevie said. Worn ball joints and what not can all give off knocking noises.

Really takes someone who knows what they are doing to look around. Could take forever (and cost a fortune) to just randomly change stuff.

Lee A

RMS Regular
OP
Lee A
Drives
Accord types k24
Problem solved the pins need a good greasing and he needs to change the disc as it's warped again but he has new discs sitting ready to put on.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
And obviously new pads if changing the disc, or the new one will be wrecked too (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.