Led Headlights

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Got the H1 for the full beams today to complete setup.

IMG_0362.JPG

Wee fans in the silver bit. Pretty noise TBH no problem hearing if there working with the engine off lol

Full beam with LED and halogen
IMG_0340.JPG

All LED
IMG_0369.JPG

Didn't realise how blurry the picture was, but the lights go further, wider and higher and far brighter lol

Hard to get a good picture of the difference tho

Full beam halogen and led
IMG_0342.JPG

All LED
IMG_0370.JPG

Lights far whiter too, now to get them aligned 100% tomorrow

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Anyone had these go through MOT yet? Just curious before I might buy any.
Yep as @weeloaney has said, I put my caddy through the MOT with them in, because had they have been dazzling others they were getting the bin.

My absolute pet hate is HIDs in non projector headlights blinding and dazzling everyone they meet.

Happy to say they passed with no issues.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Ive been driving in the dark evenings for a week now and haven't be flashed or anything so must be ok.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Yep as @weeloaney has said, I put my caddy through the MOT with them in, because had they have been dazzling others they were getting the bin.

My absolute pet hate is HIDs in non projector headlights blinding and dazzling everyone they meet.

Happy to say they passed with no issues.

Excellent! (y) Must get a set for the Mazda, the standard bulbs in it are keek (n) A couple of parafin lamps would be considered an upgrade lol

NotKG

Banned
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf WORTH READING!
even HID in projector isn't the be all end all if you want to be legal. passing MOT isn't necessary legal, i'v heard plenty of mechanics say they cant get a beamsetter to correctly set on HID and just screw them away down and they pass. when your tyring to set them correct, very few are roadworthy.
good about the LED, is they are a bulb replacement. are they legal?? havent heard yet, but as they don't require wiring like relays and the ballasts and modifications and special lens, and wash jets... they're a dam site closer to legal being a plug in direct replacement,,,,,,,,,,. time will tell if the GOV come out with regulations for them also.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf WORTH READING!
even HID in projector isn't the be all end all if you want to be legal. passing MOT isn't necessary legal, i'v heard plenty of mechanics say they cant get a beamsetter to correctly set on HID and just screw them away down and they pass. when your tyring to set them correct, very few are roadworthy.
good about the LED, is they are a bulb replacement. are they legal?? havent heard yet, but as they don't require wiring like relays and the ballasts and modifications and special lens, and wash jets... they're a dam site closer to legal being a plug in direct replacement,,,,,,,,,,. time will tell if the GOV come out with regulations for them also.

Led headlight bulbs aren't legal as far as I know. But as long as they have good pattern and aren't blinding anyone where's the harm.

Edit: Was nearly sure I read that but searching and couldn't decent info

Last edited:

Ollie

RMS Regular
Just ordered a set for the Land Rover. My standard headlights are shockingly bad so it will be interesting to see the difference. I'll post results when I get them.

NotKG

Banned
Led headlight bulbs aren't legal as far as I know. But as long as they have good pattern and aren't blinding anyone where's the harm.

Edit: Was nearly sure I read that but searching and couldn't decent info

suppose you could say the same about any aftermarket bulb then that isn't a factory wire 55/65 w bulb(like standard RING bulbs), anything that enhances light, gold or blue tips, zenon gas, blah blah blah. would be illegal.
at the minute if it's "one out and one in" and the beam can be set to original headlight manufacturer beam requirements and does not exceed max wattage, it cant be far off.... but most of the osram and stuff are 65/75 or even 100w are illegal. so where does it stop.
crap HID's are pretty much the worst to meet on the road, second is the LED strip lights, like what are they???? i thought the DRL turned off when side lights were on,, so are these alternative bright 2 voltage lights and double as FOGS?? i asked the cops at a car show, and they said they can't work half them out themselves. but they're dam bright on some models.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

richie_mck

RMS Regular
well. What's the new nought to sixty? Tenths better? Seconds?

Unfortunately the Mk6 golfs have a stupid bulb holder so they don't fit. Will just have to send these on and go for a remap instead :party:

If anyone is after H7 bulbs let me know

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.