M57 Coolant Issue

G24NTR

RMS Regular
My dad has a 2005 BMW X5 with the M57 engine. Under normal driving conditions coolant temperature guage sits in the middle and doesn't shift.

I was using the car yesterday and driving a little more spirited than he does and noticed under heavy load the needle will start to creep up a little.

So before I go and stick in a new thermostat and water pump I want to make sure no air in the coolant system and do a bleed. Checked online and there doesn't seem to be a consistent method, with each person saying the other methods are wrong.

Anyone here any experience with the engine and able to enlighten me? Cheers.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Does it not have a self bleed procedure with the electric water pump?

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Try both heater settings up to 32Ā°c and fan on 1 or 2, that might activate the electric pump (if fitted, for webasto heater etc) under the two heater valves.

It's unusual enough to airlock if nothing has been changed etc. It's likely to be the thermostat starting to fail.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Has the coolant system been recently serviced? Normally wouldnā€™t get air in the system unless someoneā€™s replaced the fluid.

Check the state of the radiator. Might also be worth doing a flush.

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Isn't it normal for the coolant temp to go up a little if you're driving spirited?

I remember it going up in my m3 a little when I did my european road trip rallying over the alps, as soon as I slowed to normal cruising speeds it went back into the middle, it never went into the red or anything like that though, car got death that week and went like clockwork for a long time after too.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
The 12 o clock position of the needle on M cars of that time is a lot more accurate tho.

I mind reading one time normal models the 12 o clock position can be between 80 to 110Ā°c as to 'not alarm the driver'

@G24NTR if the pixels on the dash still work, you can bring up the live coolant temp on there. I can't recall the way of getting it up. Or handier, plug a code reader in next time you go for a run and keep an eye on the temp with it.

G24NTR

RMS Regular
OP
G24NTR
Flicking through eBay on my E60 saved search and seen this: Genuine BMW 535d E60 Thermostats / Water Pump / Glow Plugs Engine Diesel | eBay

if any use to you @G24NTR . Would be good enough deal at that money for genuine parts. May need to cross some of the numbers to make sure they're e53 compatible.

Cheers been looking at BMW parts numbers and the thermostat appears to be different. Though it's had an engine replacement 80k ago so might just wait untilI remove the parts over the summer and take to a local motor factor. Not causing any issue with my dad driving so no major rush šŸ˜…

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I think your car should have the hidden menu which will allow you to see exact water temp so you can see what it is doing.
Look up how to access on youtube