MK4 R32

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Well, anyone who has known me for a while will probably remember my old GTI R32 rep from a few years back.

1.jpg

I've always wanted an R32 but at the time insurance was not on my side as I'd only had my license for a few years. After the MK4 GTI I built a decent MK5 GTI and then my Mini.

mlvw-001.jpg

image-14.jpg

After shooting a magazine feature for the Mini I decided that I couldn't really go much further with it and decided to sell up and look for something new. My friend Louis had recently bought an R32 as a weekend car but he wasn't getting to use it as much as he had hoped so knowing that I liked them he offered it to me.

2.jpg

2003, 92k on the clock and completely standard other than the Airlift suspension setup. It's rough round the edges, very rough infact, and needs some TLC but it was also very cheap so it was worth the gamble.

Plans so far are just to tidy it up. The whole front end and one of the skirts need painted, theres a few other marks and a small dent on one of the rear quarters, the drivers seat bolster has a small rip in it and one of the wheels has a bit of kerb damage.

After fixing that I don't know what the plans are yet, some sort of exhaust maybe.

Had thought about fitting my Corbeau buckets from the Mini but after finding out the standard seats are heated I don't think I'm going to bother.

Ge0rge

Banned
think i seen this advertised it disappeared very quick!

put it back to standard and just leave it mint?

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Ge0rge you might have, was on Pistonheads briefly before I agreed the deal. Has been sitting in a garage waiting for me to sell a few things for the month. Standard isn't for me, but I think this might just be a case of tidy it up, set of wheels and some 6 pot Porsche brakes and call it done.

@richie_mck they do indeed, friend had a full milltek system with sports cats on his and it sounded great.

@Ghost no racing, I've enough points as it is and contrary to what they say on TV, theres no prizes!

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Very nice
Had a drive in a remapped 5 door one years ago
Was surprised how quick they actually are .
HTD (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
that a lovely! Being an R32 and quite rare now Id try to keep the wheels/seats and kit etc. But as you say do the peripheral stuff like big brakes, exhaust, air etc to make it look a little special.

Big yellow lambo brakes or something would be really cool.

If the seats need some work maybe a retrim? Keeping the original style but with a little modernisation/customation?

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Must say I love watching your project cars evolve.

Looking forward to seeing this one ...

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Markhall - if I'm honest I find it a bit slow. With my last 3 cars all being forced induction its taken a while to get used to the different power delivery from the V6.

@pablo - big yellow callipers look like they are on the cards. Having done a bit of research I've found out that I can run the 6 pot Brembos that came on the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi Q7 with the standard discs and they are relatively cheap. This should make them a little sharper than the standard 4 pots but will still make suitable for every day use (the 356mm 6 pots I used to have on the MK5 were horrible around town).

@ChrisL - thank you. Not sure how far I'm going to go with this one but then again the Mini was bought as a daily and look how that turned out.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
So while I'm deciding what way to go with this I decided to get on with all the little things that I like do when I buy a car. Starting off with this Kill All Wipers rear wiper delete.

3.jpg

I also attempted to fit these US spec tail lights, but my 8mm socket has went walkies so they'll have to wait...

4.jpg

Last edited:

Sam.

RMS Regular
@clrrk if you're thinking of a Milltek, have a look at Lucifer's exhausts on the R32OC. I've got one of his rear boxes on mine with Milltek tips and I've no compaints

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Sam. I'll have a look. Think I'm gonna go down the route of a custom exhaust on it though.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Rocko there is very little noise at the minute tbh, hasn't even had the flapper mod done. Going to go price a custom exhaust tomorrow though so will hopefully have that rectified soon.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.