MK4 R32

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Few more updates to this. First off, I finally got some time to get the US spec tail lights fitted. Theres not a huge amount of difference in them and the standards but its gets rid of the orange sections in favour of a bit more red.

5.jpg

When I picked up the car the air controls had just been fed through the dash and the set on top of the ashtray. After a week this was starting to piss me off as it keep sliding about and rattling so I rerouted the wires under the carpet and up into the arm rest.

6.jpg

Third and final update for today as that I've booked the car in to get the timing chains done next week. Anyone who knows these engines knows that while they are supposed to be a non serviceable lifetime part they are the kryptonite of the engine as the chains stretch and eventually snap. One of the reasons I got this car so cheap was because the chain deviation figures are showing that the chains are stretched. I worked out a deal with my mechanic and we ordered the parts from TPS to do it. I know this kind of job would put a lot of people off buying the car but for me its piece of mind cos they're done I won't have to worry about it again in my ownership.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I know it has probably been asked and answered a thousand times, but how does the likes of air suspension compare in a performance car to normal spring and shocks or even coilovers?

Car looks good, and they sound fantastic. Look forward to your plans. (y)

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@collyirwin11 Very much like coilovers - if you buy **** air, its gonna drive like ****. If you buy good air then it will handle every bit as good as a performance coilover setup.

At the moment the 2 main cars I drive are this and my girlfriends 9N3 Polo GTI which is on ST Coilovers (made by KW) and it terms of performance in handling there is no difference - I do find the air more comfortable though.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Just because I know RMS love number plates so much... finally got mine off retention. Short plates looked weird in the recess so had @Neil@rockvale make me a normal one.

7.jpg

Maybe look at making a custom recess or a US bumper further down the line

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@Gambit I'm sure their used to it by now, that'll be the third bagged car I've had outside my office in the past 18 months!

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Short update: left the car in on Tuesday to have the chains done and picked it up this morning. We decided to put a new clutch in while we had the gearbox off because although it wasn't slipping, the clutch material did show signs of wear and the pedal felt really long and horrible.

With the new chains and clutch the car feels much more responsive, quicker reving and theres no more hesitation at 4k. New clutch also feels 100 times better and I can now change gear a lot quicker as I was having to feather it out before.

Next up is probably going to be an exhaust and a map. Although there isn't much overall horsepower gain from mapping these I've been told that the map totally changes the driving characteristics and makes them much more enjoyable to drive!

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Any ideas yet on what colour youll go for on this or if youll change the wheels etc?

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@ChrisL Been looking at wheels but haven't decided on anything yet. Colour all depends on what budget I have left after buying wheels, I'm either going to give it a full respray again in Black or if I the budget is thin after wheels then I'll wrap it another colour.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Spotted a yellow mk4 with a full anniversary kit in yellow over here in the states. Looked awesome not the usual yellow we got on mk4s.

Reactions: Ben

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Yeh the MK4 anni came in Imola yellow in the US, its a real nice colour. Friend of mine in England actually painted his that colour too, looks amazing

13062424_10206141812251201_8538789407315443119_n.jpg

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Im going for a custom stainless exhaust, will give me more control over how it sounds and also doesn't come with the hefty price tag the Milltek name does.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@greyfloppyhat I use Armo @ Street Racer in Bangor. He's made a couple of Longlife systems to my specs in the past and I've had no complaints.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
My friend Gavin runs an air suspension business based in Lisburn currently called Blackline Performance.

Over the coming weeks he will be offering more products and services and one of these is remapping. Having spent a few days at a training course with his partners Celtic Tuning he came home with the tools and the knowledge so I let him use my car as a guinea pig.

With NA tuning you're never going to see massive power gains (+20hp and +20 lb/ft) but I didn't realise it was going to make so much difference in throttle response. Car revs so much easier now and there is a noticeable difference in how the car puts the power down. He also upped the rev limiter from 6500 to 7000 and removed the upper speed limit in case I should ever find myself on an autobahn!

We also mapped his brothers S4 which saw huge gains going from 320bhp to 400.

Last edited:

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
My friend Gavin runs an air suspension business based in Lisburn currently called Design RMC.

Over the coming weeks he will be rebranding and offering more products and services and one of these is remapping. Having spent a few days at a training course with his partners Celtic Tuning he came home with the tools and the knowledge so I let him use my car as a guinea pig.

With NA tuning you're never going to see massive power gains (+20hp and +20 lb/ft) but I didn't realise it was going to make so much difference in throttle response. Car revs so much easier now and there is a noticeable difference in how the car puts the power down. He also upped the rev limiter from 6500 to 7000 and removed the upper speed limit in case I should ever find myself on an autobahn!

We also mapped his brothers S4 which saw huge gains going from 320bhp to 400.

What software is he using? i assume the S4 was a turbo model?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.