Mondeo tdci poo'd it's self

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
just wonder anyone on here know much of them.

Driving to work this morning at a steady pace and all sudden glow plug light comes on and into limp mode. Did try ignition off and on to clear it but no good, limped on into work anyway. But tonight it won't start it just chugs and it eventually did start but held a rough idle and wouldn respond to the accelerator or clear it's self

Is this the usual fuel pump and or injector problems associated with the mk3 mondeo. It's a 2006 130bhp tdci
I'm not overly miffed if it's scrap time but if it's easy fix I will maybe spend a few quid on it.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
It's a possibility.
To add, recently some mornings over past 2 months the first start in the morning it would start but rough idle for 3 or 4 seconds before responding to the accelerator.
135k miles on it.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Sounds like EGR. Easy way to tell is stick a plate on to blank it off. It'll run fine but put the EML on likey if it's euro 4 engine

You can buy a new EGR from a jaguar dealer on eBay for half price from ford.

You can try cleaning it but it normally shears the pins off the drive gear which you can fix but not with great success tbh

Rough idle could also be the EGR starting to fail

Make your own like this to try as quick fix

EGR Valve Blanking Plate Ford Mondeo 2.0 2.2 TDCi Jaguar X-type some MK6 Transit | eBay

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I could live with a light on the dash for now no problem.

Does the plate just go on and remove the rest then ?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
This is the pins that shear off. I know when guy owned my car it wouldn't even start with dodgy EGR valve
943C6E65-23F0-44DC-B5D9-EF4EA4CC9A00_zpshjbncvjx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Aye it didn't fancy starting tonight there. Then after turning over a good while it did catch in end but wouldn idle right or take any revs

So remove the valve. Unplug the loom and blank the hole off sounds reasonable starting point.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Aye it didn't fancy starting tonight there. Then after turning over a good while it did catch in end but wouldn idle right or take any revs

So remove the valve. Unplug the loom and blank the hole off sounds reasonable starting point.

Try even thin piece of metal to blank it. You'll soon know if it's that or not

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I wasn't accelerating or anything when the glow plug light started flashing on way to work when it dropped to limp mode. I'll maybe use the car recovery on my insurance to get it lifted, can't do much at work really.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So tried starting it today and left it with its very dodgy idle and after a minute it cleared and let me rev it, drive it home in limp mode. Got a piece of sheet metal to block the egr pipe so will have a go tomorrow

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Friend of mine is an ex ford master tech, NOT mine now but does occasional work from home in mallusk. Top lad, give me a shout if you want me to pass on to him.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
IMG_4441.JPG

Well made a plate earlier and fitted it but made no difference. A mate scanned it with a cheap scanner and it came up a injector fault. So who wants a slightly ropey mondeo lol

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I sold mine to my mate for £250. Needed a windscreen an injector
05 mine was 6 speed 2ltr Tdci ghia

He buys them to break

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I sold mine to my mate for £250. Needed a windscreen an injector
05 mine was 6 speed 2ltr Tdci ghia

He buys them to break

Ask him does he want another. It's 05 or 06. 6 speed 130 tidy enough. Had clutch and fly etc. Silver.mot June.
@McFall1984

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.