MOT and Bushings

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I've replaced all the front suspension in the 306 but theres a bit of knocking coming from the rear axle bushings, indicating they are on their way out.

Does anyone know if this will be an MOT failure? She's up in 3 weeks at L'derry Test Centre and I'd rather sort it now if it's going to mean a re-test and her being off the road.

However it's a P.I.T.A with me being in Scotland, so I'd prefer not to need to.. Anyone know for definate? (y)

2002 Tii

Banned
take a chance. the re-test fee will be cheaper than getting them done, thats for sure!

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Aye they seem a lot more expensive than the front! £20x4 if I'm correct? Heard they are a nightmare to fit as well.

PhilG

RMS Regular
Aye they seem a lot more expensive than the front! £20x4 if I'm correct? Heard they are a nightmare to fit as well.

Theres 4 mounts on the rear axle. 2 are large ones, these are at the front of the rear subframe assembly, and 2 are smaller, these are at the rear of the assembly.
It tends to be the larger ones that bust first.
If you open your bootlid and bounce the car up and down you'll hear which side of the car the noise is coming from.
When i bought my car the big mounts were busted so i replaced them both with non-genuine parts at a cost of £15-20 each. However soon after one of the non-genuine ones broke again, it must have been a badly manufactured one as noone else seemed to suffer this prob, the metal bar that runs through the mount snapped in 2 pieces.
I decided not to arse about and bought one from peugeot this time ...... £47!!!!
I've never had to change the rear smaller mounts, but they should be easy enough. I think they're around the £10 region.
The front larger mounts are only really difficult to change if they havn't been done before and all the bolts are rusted/siezed. To do them you do have to remove your exhaust backbox, but you can get away with not removing your centre section, and you have to remove your spare wheel (the bolt that holds the spare wheel tray might be rusted too). And you have to to loosen all 6 bolts in your boot to drop the axle down. Then theres 2 bolts at the bottom of the mount, joining the mount to the axle... they can be a handling.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Got all four bushings from Fyffes there Phil, result @ £39 all in!! :laughing:

Needs a gearbox seal as well and since I'm at uni in Scotland she's going to Mr Grieves, he's also going to set the head lights and give her a final check. Hopefully all the work I did a few months ago should see her fit to sail through on the 7th.

Last job is this soldering, will get cracking at that when I'm next home, and then she "should" be problem free :party:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.