My CX 500 project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I bought this 1981 CX 500 last weekend with the intention of cutting it up and turning it into a cafe racer but on closer inspection I think it is too good for that plus I think the clip ons would kill my already wrecked back.
I will have a think and update this thread when I know what I plan to do.
IMG_0991 (700 x 476).jpg

This is what I had planned to do but without the spokes:
1980-Honda-CX500-Custom-by-Mike-Meyers-Utah-1.jpg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It's a big call to rip that bike apart when it looks so good and has, as far as I can see, good original parts. Plus, I don't think those wheels are going to look just right for the style you want. But if you have the vision, it's your bike to do what you want.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
If it turns out like the bottom pic, then absolutely...

Have you ridden a cafe racer to see if you could manage 1 for more than a lap around a car park? They do tend to put a lot of strain on your wrists and back, much like a sports bike.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
It's a big call to rip that bike apart when it looks so good and has, as far as I can see, good original parts. Plus, I don't think those wheels are going to look just right for the style you want. But if you have the vision, it's your bike to do what you want.
Thats the problem my vision is blurred,....:oops:

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
If it turns out like the bottom pic, then absolutely...

Have you ridden a cafe racer to see if you could manage 1 for more than a lap around a car park? They do tend to put a lot of strain on your wrists and back, much like a sports bike.
I have ridden lots of sports bikes but that was 20+ years ago when my back was 100% now my back is f`ked :sob:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Look good in the living room? :p

My aul lad has CBX and GL1100 in the hall. Used to have a CB750 Sand Cast in the living room too, until some Italian made him an eye watering offer, and off it went...

At least you've the right idea though, if you turn this into an fantastic Cafe Racer and choose not to ride it... ;)

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
My aul lad has CBX and GL1100 in the hall. Used to have a CB750 Sand Cast in the living room too, until some Italian made him an eye watering offer, and off it went...

At least you've the right idea though, if you turn this into an fantastic Cafe Racer and choose not to ride it... ;)
There is a sandcast 750 on ebay for approx £55k :scream:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
There is a sandcast 750 on ebay for approx £55k :scream:

Aye, it'll get it too. That's the sort of money his done, but it had 1.4 miles or something on it from being pushed about. Never ridden from it was built. Literally a brand new 45 year old bike.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
il have a look in at a guy down the road from me, last time i looked he had a cx500 lying in his front garden, god knows how long its been there mind you.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
il have a look in at a guy down the road from me, last time i looked he had a cx500 lying in his front garden, god knows how long its been there mind you.
Thats what I am looking for, many thanks (y)

BaconPopTart

RMS Regular
Drives
Full Fleet
A good friend is building a cx500 at the moment and he is going down the street tracker, scrambler look. Ill get some pics next time im up at his garage for you. His bike is stripped to bare frame so if you need a hand give me a shout we have a fair idea whats what on them now.

Good luck with the build.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
A good friend is building a cx500 at the moment and he is going down the street tracker, scrambler look. Ill get some pics next time im up at his garage for you. His bike is stripped to bare frame so if you need a hand give me a shout we have a fair idea whats what on them now.

Good luck with the build.
Thanks.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
i went down and seen that CX bloke... he hoofed it into a skip ffs:mad: along with enough other stuff to fill the bloody thing...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.