Ni Mot Checks (full List Of What They Look For)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Stuart

RMS Regular
Drives
Saxo, 3 series
*Updated to the latest checklist*

Also check out our Northern Ireland MOT Advice Thread
Vehicle test procedures - Stage 1

On arrival at the test centre your appointment card will inform you which inspection lane to go to. Drive to the appropriate numbered lane and wait with your engine running.
On arrival

Whilst you are waiting to be called forward for the MOT test, use this time to check the following:
  • your car should be presented with the engine at normal operating temperature, this will require the engine to be kept running while waiting for the test to commence (outside test hall)
  • familiarise yourself with the vehicle controls, all light switches, boot, bonnet, fuel cap operation and so on
  • ensure any headlamp levelling device is set in the correct position for a vehicle without a load (usually a small wheel control on the dash which is numbered. In most cases the correct position will be at 0)
  • please have the vehicle registration certificate, appointment card and previous MOT certificate (if applicable) readily available for examination
On entering the inspection hall the vehicle details will be checked and recorded onto the computer. The first test conducted will be the Smoke Test if it is a diesel car or Exhaust Emission test if it is a spark ignition (for example, petrol) engined car.
Smoke Test

The smoke emitted from compression ignition (diesel) engined vehicles is assessed for its density. It is carried out by the use of an approved and calibrated smoke meter.
The engine will be accelerated up to governed speed and the density of the smoke measured.
After the third acceleration the average reading is recorded. If the reading is below 2.5m-1 for non-turbocharged engines or 3.0m-1 for turbocharged engines the vehicle will pass.
However if the average is higher, a further acceleration is carried out and the average of the last three readings are used, this will continue until a maximum of six accelerations have been carried out.
If the average of the fourth, fifth and sixth acceleration is higher than the appropriate level the vehicle will not pass the test.
In addition to the smoke meter readings, any of the following will result in the vehicle being refused a certificate:
  • exhaust emits excessive smoke or vapour of any colour, to an extent likely to obscure vision
  • emissions cannot be measured because a tail pipe is damaged or an accessory is fitted which prevents the insertion of the smoke meter probe
  • insufficient oil in the engine or low oil pressure which could cause engine damage if engine is accelerated
  • obvious signs of an engine defect such as an unusual noise or emission of smoke
  • obvious signs that the governors have been tampered with or not operating
It is important that vehicles are properly maintained (including changing of timing belts) in accordance with the manufacturers' recommendation and presented for test at normal working temperature.
Exhaust emission

This test applies to all cars, taxis, minibuses and ambulances with up to 12 passenger seats, and other vehicles up to and including 3,500 kg design gross weight (DGW), which are spark ignition engined with four or more wheels.
Any of the following points will result in the vehicle being refused a certificate:
  • the engine is idling at a speed clearly above its normal idling speed
  • the engine emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a continuous period of five seconds at idle
  • the engine emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration, which would obscure the view of other road users
  • the emissions cannot be measured because the tailpipe is damaged or an accessory is fitted which prevents insertion of the analyser probe
  • the exhaust gas contains one or more gases in excess of the required limits for the associated test
The required limits are as follows

Vehicles first used prior to 1 August 1975 are exempt from a metered emission test.
Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975 and before 1 August 1986:
  • carbon monoxide (CO) 4.5 per cent at idle
  • hydrocarbons (HC) 1,200ppm (parts per million)
Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1986 and before 1 August 1992:
  • carbon monoxide (CO) 3.5 per cent at idle
  • hydrocarbons (HC) 1,200ppm
Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1992 are tested to the manufacturers specific limits (there are a few exceptions to this rule depending on the fuel and vehicle type).
While specific limits are too numerous to list the following is for guidance only:
  • hydrocarbons (HC) 200ppm
  • carbon monoxide (CO) 0.5 per cent at idle
  • carbon monoxide (CO) 0.3 per cent at fast idle
  • lambda: 0.97 - 1.03 Lambda (value of 1 for the optimum air/fuel ratio setting)
It is important to remember the above figures can only be used as guidance as vehicle specific limits may be lower or higher.
Vehicles must be presented for test with the engine at normal working temperature. Therefore engine should be kept running on arrival at the test centre.
Under bonnet inspection

An under bonnet inspection is carried out at this stage (please be ready to release the bonnet catch when requested).
Also checked at this stage:
  • registration plates and vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • power assisted steering
  • engine transmission mounts
  • mechanical brake components
  • hydraulic, air and vacuum brake systems
  • fuel system
  • brake and steering fluids
  • general condition of the vehicle
  • vehicle structural integrity and construction
Vehicle test procedures - Stage 2

The second stage of your vehicle MOT test starts with the headlight alignment check. You will be guided forward to the headlamp alignment equipment and asked to operate the vehicle lights to carry out the headlamp alignment test.
Other items at this stage

At this stage the following items will be also be checked and the examiner will give you clear instruction as to which item he is asking you to operate:
  • headlamps
  • direction indicators
  • stop lamps
  • rear reflectors
  • seat belts
  • seats including driver's seat adjustment mechanism
  • windows and windscreen
  • windscreen washers and wipers
  • horn
  • mirrors
  • hazard warning lamps
  • front and rear position lamps, registration plate lamps and rear fog lamp
  • body condition
  • doors, boot lid and bonnet
  • steering column lock
  • trailer tow bar and electrical connections
  • general condition of vehicle
Headlamp Alignment Testing criteria

The most common type of headlamps fitted to vehicles are those known as European type headlamps which are checked for aim on the dip beam.
These headlamps have an asymmetric dipped beam pattern with a distinctive horizontal cut-off on the right, and a 15 degree wedge of light above the horizontal (the 'kick-up') towards the left.
Any of the following points will result in the vehicle being refused a certificate:
  • the beam pattern blurred and does not show a distinctive cut-off point
  • the beam 'kick-up' is to the offside, that is, the headlamp dips to the right
  • the image break point is not between the vertical -2.0 per cent line (blue vertical line) and the vertical 0 per cent line (black vertical line)
  • headlamp centres not more than 850mm above the ground - the beam horizontal cut-off line (pitch) is not between -0.5 per cent and -2 per cent line (red lines)
  • headlamp centres more than 850mm above the ground - the beam horizontal cut-off line (pitch) is not between -1.25 per cent and -2.75 per cent line (green lines)
There will be no opportunity to adjust headlamp alignment during the test. Levelling devices should be set for unladen condition, normally located on vehicle dash.
After the lights have been inspected you will be asked to leave your vehicle and open the fuel cap (this is to inspect the seal on the cap as many accidents have been caused by fuel spillages) and the car boot.
The boot should be free of luggage to allow the examiner to inspect the boot floor and body structure. The examiner will then instruct you to take a seat in the passenger seat of your car.
The examiner will now drive your car forward to stage three.

Vehicle test procedures - Stage 3

The third stage of your vehicle MOT test starts with the shock absorber test. The examiner will drive your vehicle forward to this area - you are required to wear your seat belt whilst you are in the passenger seat.
Brake test

At this stage you will be sitting beside the examiner as the brake test is carried out. There may be a slight jerk when the car wheels are placed in the brake rollers and when the brakes are applied therefore it is essential that you wear your seat belt.
Interior inspection

Also at this stage the driver's compartment will be inspected, which will include:
  • parking brake lever mechanism (hand brake)
  • service brake control
  • speedometer
  • disabled driver control if applicable
  • driver controls
  • steering control
  • vehicle warning lights including, anti-lock braking system, electronic braking system, electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system, air bag, seat belt pretensioner and seat belt load limiter
  • vehicle tell-tale lights including, hazard lamps, head lamp main beam, direction indicators and rear fog lamps
Brakes Testing criteria

Any one of the following points in relation to brake performance will result in a vehicle being refused a certificate:
  • low braking effort recorded from the brake on any wheel, indicating clearly that the brake is not functioning correctly
  • significant braking effort recorded on roadwheels, even though the brake is not applied, indicating that a brake is binding
  • evidence of severe brake grabbing or judder as the service brake (foot brake) is applied
  • the service braking efforts at the roadwheels do not increase at about the same rate when the service brake pedal is applied gradually
  • the service braking efforts at the roadwheels do not reduce at about the same rate when the service brake pedal is released gradually
  • the out-of-balance of the service brakes on any axle, greater than 30 per cent
  • the service brake efficiency is below 50 per cent (58 per cent for cars first used on or after 1 January 2012)
  • the parking brake (hand brake) efficiency is below 16 per cent
When the brake test is complete the examiner will drive forward and stop in front of the hoist. They will then ask you to take a seat in the waiting area where you can watch the rest of the test being carried out. Please remain here until the examiner has completed the inspection and called you forward.

Vehicle test procedures - Stage 4

Once you are safely in the customer waiting area, the examiner will position your vehicle on the hoist for the under body inspection. You must remain in the waiting area until the examiner has finished the inspection and calls you forward.
Under body inspection

An under body inspection will look at the items listed below and could include the examiner taking the vehicle for a short road test within the test centre grounds.
  • electrical wiring
  • body condition
  • steering system
  • tyres
  • road wheels and hubs
  • suspension, wheel bearings and drive shafts
  • shock absorbers
  • oil leaks
  • engine and transmission mounts
  • transmission
  • exhaust system including the catalytic converter
  • mechanical brake components
  • brake hydraulic, air and vacuum systems
  • fuel system
  • spare wheel and carrier
  • general condition of vehicle
This list of items that are checked at each stage of the inspection are not exhaustive but identifies the main items subject to inspection.
At the end of the test the examiner will advise if your vehicle has passed or failed.
If your vehicle passes the MOT test, the examiner will issue you with an MOT certificate. The certificate will come in two parts, either of which can be used when taxing your vehicle. The disc portion must be displayed on the edge of the windscreen, at the passenger’s side.
However, if your vehicle does not pass the MOT test, the examiner will give you a record sheet containing details of the faults which will have to be repaired for the retest. You can book a retest at a reduced fee within 21 days of failing the full test otherwise you will have to pay the full fee again.

All other information on what happens at the test centre and vehicle inspection manuals, can be found on NIdirect:

Any other specific MOT questions you may have to ask the advice of other forum user's can be added here:

Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Nah, although an MOT is a legal requirement I would put this under technical and mechanical as any work required would be of that nature.

Good post (y) hope it helps a few people on here, I'll make it a sticky.

Gaz

J Man

RMS Regular
Drives
EK9
cheers mate thas a big help lol. My m.o.t next month, and me first car to go thru mot.

keegs86

RMS Regular
Drives
Pug 206
whats the lowest the car can be?my 206 is low with the bumpers and skirts.dont want them being ripped off when it goes in the break tests.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
as long as the tyre is not touching the bodywork,
or body of car touching ground i think..also as long as ur springs dont fall out etc

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
Just been for my MOT today - got through woooo!

Nice list, wil save a lot of "will it pass mot" threads

keegs86

RMS Regular
Drives
Pug 206
as long as the tyre is not touching the bodywork,
or body of car touching ground i think..also as long as ur springs dont fall out etc

yea i get that part.but when they place your car in the kind of rolling road bit for your foot brake and hand brake does it drop down alot?and if so what clearence would i need?

feltlawrence

RMS Regular
Drives
Too many cars
A word of warning to those going for the MOT - check underneath for oil leaks!.Mine failed yesterday for 'excessive oil leak from engine'. I had not bothered to MOT wash underneath and a fair patch of fresh oil was underneath as I had not detected a leak. One powerwash later and a tightening of a couple of bolts plus a fresh piece of rubber and I passed the re-test this morning (£18.50).

The moral of the story is look underneath the car and give it a wee wipe, saves time and money!

335i

Drives
BMW 335i
i have a car going for mot next week, and have just realised the dog has eaten through one of the rear seat belts. its in an estate car. do you reckon they would check it properly? i was gonna just make it sit nice!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yes, after a certain age i think.

As far as i can remember, the MG didnt have one when i MOT'd it.

Red Head

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Le Mans
I MOT'd a mk 3 golf with no reverse lights.

Is it possible to get MOT pass info for motorcycles? The SV has its first MOT this year and I hardly use it, so wanna know what to look out for...

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
will my kit car pass mot with no window wipers or washers? i was told yes but that list would suggest no?its only a wee small windscreen

Lee

RMS Regular
Does anybody know for sure if a reverse light is a legal requirement?

My car is meant to have a reverse light, but it doesn't work. I am going to try and get it working but still want to know incase, as the car is up for MOT on tuesday(y)

Thankyouplease

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It may not be essential, BUT, if its on, it HAS to work...

Thats what ive been told about everything on the car, ie fog lights, horn, reverse lights, wipers, seatbelts etc etc, even thought some of those things arent essential.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.