No seatbelt

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

james123

RMS Regular
Ok peeps was caught today driving with no seat belt, put my hands up and took the fine,and penalty points but when reporting this to my insurance company will i need the conviction code?..It seems there doesn't seen to be one when i went on the internet it states only a fine, and no points obviously this is only for the rest of the U.K but i am insured through Post office, went on confused.com and there is no offence listed for driving without a seatbelt!! :relieved:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Oddly....when reading various English based forums. It seems seat belt doesnt carry points on the mainland.

Found it quite hard to believe. So maybe that's why there isnt an offence listed ?

james123

RMS Regular
OP
J
Odd

Found it quite odd myself, will ring DVLNI tomorrow and see if i can get the conviction code, not sure how its going to work with an english based firm such as the post office, a few codes popped up on confused.com which are used for offences were the code isn't found....That got me a quote back which was a £1000 more than what im paying now :confounded:

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
I got 3 points and fine for no seatbelt too a few years back. I always state this to insurers and most can never find a code, and those who do say it doesn't affect insurance premium.

I was renewing at the start of this month and Endsleigh told me that CU20 was the code. When on to Hughes I told them the code, they said it was for using a vehicle in a dangerous manner and is more serious than seatbelt. When doing online quotes I never put in the endorsement but would then phone up the cheapest ones and state that I have 3 points for being a bad boy and not wearing my seatbelt whilst driving 200 yards in Antrim town centre at 15mph to park. Not that I'm still bitter about it or anything..

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I got 3 points and fine for no seatbelt too a few years back. I always state this to insurers and most can never find a code, and those who do say it doesn't affect insurance premium.

I was renewing at the start of this month and Endsleigh told me that CU20 was the code. When on to Hughes I told them the code, they said it was for using a vehicle in a dangerous manner and is more serious than seatbelt. When doing online quotes I never put in the endorsement but would then phone up the cheapest ones and state that I have 3 points for being a bad boy and not wearing my seatbelt whilst driving 200 yards in Antrim town centre at 15mph to park. Not that I'm still bitter about it or anything..

To be fair I don't see why it should. Looking at things logically, your insurance is cover for risk. like speeding, using phone, careless driving, dangerous driving, all more likely to cause crash. Modifying, more BHP alloys whhels, makes it more appelaing for thiefs to steal. Anything that increases the chances of making a claim.

wearing your seat belt, you only going to kill yourself, lol, or hurt yourself. So unless you were going to claim off your own policy. i see no reason for points for seat belt effecting insurnace.

But then thats my thinking, and sometimes i'm warped,lol.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
To be fair I don't see why it should. Looking at things logically, your insurance is cover for risk. like speeding, using phone, careless driving, dangerous driving, all more likely to cause crash. Modifying, more BHP alloys whhels, makes it more appelaing for thiefs to steal. Anything that increases the chances of making a claim.

wearing your seat belt, you only going to kill yourself, lol, or hurt yourself. So unless you were going to claim off your own policy. i see no reason for points for seat belt effecting insurnace.

But then thats my thinking, and sometimes i'm warped,lol.

Lots of policies have personal injury cover, or funeral costs, etc in them.. so it does make sense to pay a premium for not wearing a seatbelt

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
On it's own most insurers probably aren't that bothered; same as 3 points for one speeding offence.

Any more little indisgretions and they may see you as a moral hazard ie you continue to break the law with not wearing a seatbelt, and you were also found with bald tyres, or whatever ever else. That's when they'll take more notice.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Lots of policies have personal injury cover, or funeral costs, etc in them.. so it does make sense to pay a premium for not wearing a seatbelt

I know of personal Injury cover.

But say Man in car A crashes into Car B. Man in Car B will try claim off the other insurer of Car A. Wont matter about his sealt belt. It would only make a difference if you were potentially going to claim off your own policy. I know I wouldn't do it, but probably gready heurs out there would would,lol.

And if you did clamin off your own policy, then thats where Insurers can get their own back by charging you a ridiclous premium to re-insure a car. So you'd just be shooting yourself in the foot as to speak.

Never knew anything about the funeral costs part of it. Be interesting to know if it has been used, or how regulary it gets used and what all gets claimed for.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They're trying to measure the calibre of the person to be insured in order to assess the risk. If you're stupid enough not to wear a seatbelt then what else are you stupid enough to do. You can also injure others in the car by not wearing your belt.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
They're trying to measure the calibre of the person to be insured in order to assess the risk. If you're stupid enough not to wear a seatbelt then what else are you stupid enough to do. You can also injure others in the car by not wearing your belt.

You'll only injure someone else if your in the back seat flying through to the front, so that person wouldn't be driving or the Policy holder. The driver will only injure themselves, Unless they are nusring someone. Like many moons ago, when I used to sit on my dads lap and drive the car. Well steer,lol. Which is illegal and shopuldn't be at anyhow.

If it was for the calibre of the person, there should be some damm high polocies floating about out there,lol.

i still don't see a direct link between it and car Insurnace for claims.

I fully understand the importance of wearing your belt. it is the 1st thing I do when jump in the car. My belt is on after the car is started, but hasn't moved.

I can se the personal injure/death thing it effecting it, in regards to seatbelt. But like that can't happen too much, someone claiming off their own policy.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That's in only one scenario - ie going into something straight on and stopping suddenly but imagine a roll over or side on smash. Only been in two big crashes myself and both had a wee roll mixed in the sequence lol

As for the calibre - aye there is some higher policies out there - hence the justification for an extra charge for not wearing a belt :p that's why they ask about your career, marriage, etc. It all helps build a picture about who you are.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
That's in only one scenario - ie going into something straight on and stopping suddenly but imagine a roll over or side on smash. Only been in two big crashes myself and both had a wee roll mixed in the sequence lol

As for the calibre - aye there is some higher policies out there - hence the justification for an extra charge for not wearing a belt :p that's why they ask about your career, marriage, etc. It all helps build a picture about who you are.

dEFO SEE WHERE YOUR COMING FROM. bUT THATS YOU THEN CLAIMING OFF YOUR OWN POLICY. Sorry bout caps. But then if you claim, the insurance company then rasie yoru premium, if you say had a 30 grand claim, when you renew they are wintin their rights to raise th premiun to what they want./ yes you could change companies but then again the nexct company can just go 10k a year for to cover you as you a potential claim up, your a claim scammer. out to get money. they'll ask your claim history.

So you'd just feck it for yourself. if you can't get insurance then your fecked. Kind of like biting the hand that feeds you.

I can see a direct link with Family, marriage kids, etc. Thats more potential victims for a claim up,lol. 7 seater claim up. Or even kids in the car can be distracting, potential to crash. You could look on it the other way, kids in the car, Family man/woman, you drive more carefully/sensible to protect them.

But still not seeing the seatbelt link.

Out of curosity, is insurance cheaper or deared for single/married/kids. What does that do to the policy?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'll be honest Karlos - I don't really understand your argument lol. I work in risk assessment myself and have done for a while so just taking from it what I think - which is that they'll include the information as part of character profiling and that's all.

I'm not saying that getting caught once without the belt on would cause your premium to rocket or anything but what I am saying is that I could understand the justification for an increase. I also said that I don't make up the rules lol. If it were up to me 3rd party insurance costs would be included in the price of fuel.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Imagine if insurance companies started charging more for Clean cars.

Like a dirty car will have more drag coefficient, slowing it down.

A clean polished car will glide/cut through the air more easily.

I can see more of a link there than with a seatbelt,lol.

the sealtbelt to me is safety, to save your own life. Thats why it should be worn at all times, even in a Maccy D's drive-thru.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Exactly. So by being the type of person that doesn't wear your seatbelt it makes you the type of person that's not that inclined to worry about safety too much and an unsafe person carries a greater risk and greater risk = more £££ (y)

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Exactly. So by being the type of person that doesn't wear your seatbelt it makes you the type of person that's not that inclined to worry about safety too much and an unsafe person carries a greater risk and greater risk = more £££ (y)

But Only a greather risk to damage yourself, nothing else,lol. I can see your arguement as in yoru a liability. But that can be factored to include asking questions lik hobbies. If they find out your an adrenaline junkie, sky diver, base jumper, bungee jumnper, roller coast rider, they'd be within their rights to rasie you car premium.

I'm no insurance buff, but I know in my head what I mean,lol.

But were not argueing if points for wearing no sealtbelt increases your insurance premiun. As someone answered earlier in the thread, it doesn't increase it.

i'm just saying I Personally(in my own wee world of Karol) I see no direct link with sealtbelt and a claim for money, .. Unless as stated you claim off your own policy for injuries, but then you screw yourself.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's nothing to do with damaging yourself though. It's about your attitude (risk assesment). As you say they don't seem to increase premiums for 3 points only (no matter what the offense) so it's probably not valid if you've a clean license but for arguements sake say Mr A and Mr B come in for insurance. Both exactly the same except Mr A has been caught and given 6 penalty points for not wearing his seatbelt (caught twice, because he's stupid). Do you charge them the same or do you think Mr A is more risky because he's got more of a lax attitude to safety than Mr B?

If I was the insurance risk assessor I'd be thinking - If he's not that bothered about wearing his seat belt; what kind of driver does that make him?

Anyway... that's my point lol

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
It's nothing to do with damaging yourself though. It's about your attitude (risk assesment). As you say they don't seem to increase premiums for 3 points only (no matter what the offense) so it's probably not valid if you've a clean license but for arguements sake say Mr A and Mr B come in for insurance. Both exactly the same except Mr A has been caught and given 6 penalty points for not wearing his seatbelt (caught twice, because he's stupid). Do you charge them the same or do you think Mr A is more risky because he's got more of a lax attitude to safety than Mr B?

If I was the insurance risk assessor I'd be thinking - If he's not that bothered about wearing his seat belt; what kind of driver does that make him?

Anyway... that's my point lol

A paranoid one, that might have to leave his car quickly.

But understand what your sayiong in the 1st paragraph. Makes him a higher risk.

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
Never did the understand the theory of not wearing your seatbelt unless reversing. Which (iirc) is legal, to remove your seatbelt while reversing round a corner, into a space etc. Was when I done my test 15 years ago right enough.

I've been in a couple of accidents, one a head on and the bruising on my shoulder and chest made me realise how effective the seat belt had been in that case.

Sorry, to answer the OP's question, I don't know the code. I know in Scotland that not wearing a seatbelt doesn't carry any points, or it never used to anyway.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.