Odd drum brake noises

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
Scudo is acting up, park it overnight and the rear brakes sound like they're down to the metal for the first few stops in the morning, after that silent all day, leave it for a few hours and it's noisy again. She's not long through the PSV and the brakes were perfect with only 2% imbalance on the rear. I know discs can get rusty overnight but never had this with drums.

Worth a new set of shoes or is it a drum problem?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Brake dust and crusty rust gathers inside them and there's no way out; it just lies in there rolling around. Probably just needs the drum taken off and cleaned out.
That's my general experience with brake drums; I'm guessing a Scudo is just the same.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How many miles ?

If the noise goes away, it could just be light corrosion or something. If unsure or it's high mileage and they've never been changed, pull them apart for a look.
How does the handbrake feel ?

Bedhead

RMS Regular
OP
Bedhead
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
Handbrake is fine, 98k on it allegedly, bought new shoes in case they are knackered. Wasnt as expensive as I thought they'd be so I'll just chuck them in for peace of mind.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.