Old diesel needed? Seized coilovers.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris0

RMS Regular
I have a set of coilovers that are seized solid looking about 10/15 litres of diesel to dump them into over night

Anyone anything about their yard I could possibly have?

Close to Belfast please I don't fancy trooping around with a load of diesel swishing about the boot

Chris0

RMS Regular
OP
Chris0
Erm .....a filling station?
Before I go and fill up a tank in the boot I thought I'd check if someone has some old dirty diesel lying around.

@Boabybooster tried coca cola but it took a bit of dirt off but not much else. So trying diesel before I grind them off and try and source new ones

Boksic

RMS Regular
Vinegar might do your job better than diesel? Buy it cheap and in bulk, it's good for cleaning up parts.
Otherwise red diesel is 50ish pence a litre, fire it in a Jerry can. 20 litres around a tenner, saves you running about asking for dirty diesel, which nobody keeps.

Plenty of stations about the city have red at the pump too, must be for all the tractors you see sailing about the city centre all day, beacons an all..

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Have you got oil heating? Just suck some of that out of your tank. It's paraffin/kerosene and just as good as diesel.

Would they not need rebuilt anyway, even when you do get them freed up? Pitted chrome, seals worn out, oil in a bad state

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Have you got oil heating? Just suck some of that out of your tank. It's paraffin/kerosene and just as good as diesel.

Would they not need rebuilt anyway, even when you do get them freed up? Pitted chrome, seals worn out, oil in a bad state

Kero will dry the seals out.
Diesel will make them swell.

Keep either away from the seals.

Chris0

RMS Regular
OP
Chris0
I'll maybe try some white vinegar before hand to see if it dislodges the collars (y)

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Oh, I get it.....so its just the collars that's seized, not the whole damper.

Chris0

RMS Regular
OP
Chris0
Oh, I get it.....so its just the collars that's seized, not the whole damper.
Yeah just the bit to adjust the height
I have the springs etc off so it's just getting it freed up around that part to get them moving again

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Maybe vinegar or other light acid on the corroded alloy part ? Or are they steel ?

I would hazard a guess at steel shock body with aluminium locking collars. You know how that ends Stevie... (y)

Yeah just the bit to adjust the height
I have the springs etc off so it's just getting it freed up around that part to get them moving again

Get yourself a tin of penetrating fluid. WD40 is ok, but you're better getting a purpose made product for the job.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wurth do some rustoff stuff too...but it can do no harm to soak them in a few products, see if any of them work.

Heat is one option...but the shock might go bang lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.