Paid holidays.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Years ago when I was a student and worked in Woolworths, I had an 8hr per wk contract so I would get holidays based on 8hrs per week. There were weeks I could be working extra hours but if I took holidays the max I got was the contracted hours.

1 working day is considered a standard 8 hours.

Years ago when I was employed....I worked for more than 8 mon-thurs, and less on a friday. But holiday pay was always different based on 5 x 8 hour days, so if the holiday was a friday I got paid more than usual, mon-thurs less.

If anyone thinks it should be different, they would need to look at the specific terms in their employment contract. But that's pretty much what statutory would be.

decxter

RMS Regular
Drives
Zafira dti
My contract used to be that you got paid the set hours in your contract if off on holiday. But changed in July so that it was an average of the hours worked in the last six weeks.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
My contract used to be that you got paid the set hours in your contract if off on holiday. But changed in July so that it was an average of the hours worked in the last six weeks.

Yea, this was changed by law as so many employers are giving low hour or even zero hour contracts, yet the employees were working as much as 40 hour weeks or more, but weren't getting the holiday entitlement due.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As an employer my guys get the 28 days holidays (4 weeks) each year.
I encourage them to take a week at the July holidays and a fortnight over Christmas, the remaining days are used at their discretion, but if for some reason they need another day here or there I'm happy enough to give it to them if it falls when we are quiet.

We have also introduced pension plans as dictated by the government, it was reasonably handy to set up.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
As an employer my guys get the 28 days holidays (4 weeks) each year.
I encourage them to take a week at the July holidays and a fortnight over Christmas, the remaining days are used at their discretion, but if for some reason they need another day here or there I'm happy enough to give it to them if it falls when we are quiet.

We have also introduced pension plans as dictated by the government, it was reasonably handy to set up.
Exactly like my work. Daughter been asked to a meeting with her boss. . . . because they heard she's been offered another job. Hopefully they'll learn a lesson.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
This annoys me no end in the hospitality sector. I have friends who work for a successful Belfast eatery/bar and they have to fight for everything while the boss drives around in a 80k car. No lunch breaks, no coffee break and no holidays. All it would take is one solicitors letter and they would be screwed as an employer and end up with having to back pay years of holidays to all the staff. Sadly people working on or near minimum wage feel that they'd never be able to take on their employer.

That same guy driving the 80k car probably works more hours in a week than most of his staff can only dream exist, I doubt he cares much for tea breaks and probably spends his entire holiday thinking about his business. He has no doubt worked his ******* bollocks off to get to where he is, put his life and entire family financials on the line in a make or break effort to get the business to the point where he can afford to employ all these people who are "entitled" to all these days off and paid for it too.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is then to have staff who then want paid to sit and have their morning sh*t and demanding all the "legal minimums". I get employment law is to prevent people from being exploited, but don't ever begrudge someone what they have if you aren't willing to put your own balls on the block to go after it yourself.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.