Planning an Install

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Hey, got my sub box sorted now :grinning:

Any tips on how cut out the wood in the shape of the sides of the car for the floor ?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
stencil your existing boot floor cover onto mdf and jigsaw it out

failing that use cardboard and cut out sections to the shape of the boot

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Just a thought;
Where can you get decent alcantara from? (not the £70/metre stuff)

Thinkin of getting a bit of the cheaper stuf to "play with" - see what way I want the boot to look

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Any fabric shop....there is a place in Duncrue that sell it - Cotton Print Factory Shop.

Baron at Top Secret also sells it, in a wide range of colours

Steve VTi

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R EP3
DCi Tigger said:
Just a thought;
Where can you get decent alcantara from? (not the £70/metre stuff)

Thinkin of getting a bit of the cheaper stuf to "play with" - see what way I want the boot to look

anything else isnt alcantara,its just fake stuff,which lets be honest it looks rubbish

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
:party: Knew that was comming from the AA crew lol
Just after a bit to muck about with, get the real stuff for the car

How's my door pods comming along? :p

-Pete-

RMS Regular
the fake stuff is fine and doesnt look rubbish at all steve. it just doesnt stretch the same as the real thing which means in terms of trimming with it, its a real bugger to use if you have something really curvy to trim. it doesnt look any different though, there might be avery very sligh different look to it but theres next to nothing between them in terms of how they look or feel

the real stuff though seems to go on a treat with plenty of stretch

Steve VTi

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R EP3
-Pete- said:
the fake stuff is fine and doesnt look rubbish at all steve. it just doesnt stretch the same as the real thing which means in terms of trimming with it, its a real bugger to use if you have something really curvy to trim. it doesnt look any different though, there might be avery very sligh different look to it but theres next to nothing between them in terms of how they look or feel

it does look different,and its totally different to feel.and a agree the fake stuff is hard to work with its like cardboard to stretch.

Audio Advice Iain

Drives
Zafira GSi
-Pete- said:

Have to disagree Pete - you can tell the fake stuff immediately. It has a grain kind of like a nap on a snooker table. Looks shiny and cheap to be honest - which it obviously is, but the real stuff looks and feels much better. It all depends on budget and what you ultimately want to achieve I suppose. I looks totally different.

It will obviously look 'ok' but you cant say it looks the same. It doesnt

Audio Advice Iain

Drives
Zafira GSi
DCi Tigger said:
:party: Knew that was comming from the AA crew lol
Just after a bit to muck about with, get the real stuff for the car

How's my door pods comming along? :p

Of course we are going to recommend the proper stuff. It looks and trims much better and I have shown you loads of samples of trimmed panels for you to compare. By all means use the cheaper stuff to practice trimming and to get some experience etc; but remember the builds will be trimmed in real alcantara so you ideally want to be using the same material for boot build if thats the way you are going to go. At the end of the day its your call but if u call down I'll show you both options. Shouldn't be a difficult decision

Please PM me re builds? ;)

SuitorMenswear

RMS Regular
Fair enough, it doesnt look the same. But its damn close!! And only those in the know, will know lol! Infact, the stuff we use, Nusuede is 99% the same. I'll bring two samples next sound off, one real, one Nusuede and we'll see who can tell!!

I put this to you, is it 600% better than fake stuff??? I think not.

Yes its easier to trim with, but if u keep the trimming in mind when doing the build u can easily achieve an awesome look for a fraction of the price.

Audio Advice Iain

Drives
Zafira GSi
ChrisSuitor ( SQD ) said:
Fair enough, it doesnt look the same. But its damn close!! And only those in the know, will know lol! Infact, the stuff we use, Nusuede is 99% the same. I'll bring two samples next sound off, one real, one Nusuede and we'll see who can tell!!

I put this to you, is it 600% better than fake stuff??? I think not.

Yes its easier to trim with, but if u keep the trimming in mind when doing the build u can easily achieve an awesome look for a fraction of the price.

It doesnt look the same - exactly.

600% - eh?? The real stuff looks and lasts very well. The Mickey Mouse stuff does neither.

Anyway - all I was saying was there is a noticable difference but each to their own. Also (as said) its totally budget driven anyway

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Audio Advice Iain said:
Have to disagree Pete - you can tell the fake stuff immediately. It has a grain kind of like a nap on a snooker table. Looks shiny and cheap to be honest - which it obviously is, but the real stuff looks and feels much better. It all depends on budget and what you ultimately want to achieve I suppose. I looks totally different.

It will obviously look 'ok' but you cant say it looks the same. It doesnt

im only basing what i said on black fake stuff i had bought previously and some black real stuff i had seen on a moulded fg sub box up close and felt, and they were pretty damn close in my opinion. i guess once you start using them more often you spot the differences etc more easily so ill agree with you there Iain

but, i think as suitor said, only someone in the know would really be able to spot the difference. i guess its down to budget and finish wanted at the end of the day as to which you can choose (or afford)

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
NO LIMITS said:

because at 6 times the price it would need to be 600% better. its called maths ;)

and as for it not lasting, its for a bootbuild/speaker pods, not a bedroom carpet! doesn't get much wear like!

simon4563

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
any time i was at SQD, their finish's in boot builds looks quality, thats were ill be goin to get mine done. then maybe im not in the know.lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.