Project Fastra Van lol audio upgrades

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
what sort of miles was on this Pete? I had a notion of one but any i seen have been over 100k

is there anything to look out for in these when buying?

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Pete, that's quite a transformation! Great job.

@seanmooney, mine is only the 1.7 but it goes fairly well and had 83k on it when I got it. The only thing that annoys me is the lack of a Water Temp Guage and I will be getting that sorted shortly. Other than that, it's just like driving a car and you just have a pretty big boot.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
@seanmooney mine is just about to turn 150k and it's in great shape. A caddy with 150k would be falling apart in comparison.

They rot a bit behind mouldings and things, dual mass flywheels can be troublesome on the 1.9's and they can give gearbox trouble.

I've put 25k on mine and I absolutely love it. I wanted something that drove like a car and caddy's etc don't. They are considerably better finished in the cabin than a caddy too

seanmooney

RMS Regular
@big_pete all these modern diesels are giving bother with flywheels now, so its expected to probably have to change at some stage.

Is there any pros/cons of the 1.9 over the 1.7?

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
1.9 is way way faster lol

I've had both engines in astra's. The 1.9 feels smoother and you have a 6speed. If you get a 150bhp 1.9 it will map to 190 straight away

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
1.9 is way way faster lol

I've had both engines in astra's. The 1.9 feels smoother and you have a 6speed. If you get a 150bhp 1.9 it will map to 190 straight away

Oi!!! Race for slips??? lol

Yeah, the 1.9 is pretty sharp and a lot faster than the 1.7. I have the 6-spd aswell and it will happily cruise at 80mph.

Your right about the Caddy's though. A friend has a 08 and it is literally breaking his balls about every 2/3 months with different things going wrong.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Boring update.

Over the last few weeks the van had been getting very smokey, hard to start and dropping off boost and going into limp mode. Was convinced the new turbo had calved already.

However the mechanic has informed me it needs a fuel pump and new injectors. So once that's fixed and some new suspension arms fitted it will be back up and running.

I was looking for uprated injectors and got talking to the guys at CDTi Surgery. Really knowledgeable, so it's going over to England for a few more tweaks and a proper custom map. Should be good for 285/290bhp :laughing:

I'm fitting grooved and drilled discs, uprated pads and braided lines while it's getting fixed and then I think that's me done with mods for it.

As much as I want a set of VXR seats I think it will take the usability away from it being a daily I jump in and out of in dirty work clothes. I still absolutely love it. Can't wait to get it back and start hassling hot hatches again lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
So a bit of an update.

The van has just ticked over 160k and has formed quite the oil habit. It's also getting a little tatty round the edges (probably still cleaner than 99% of vans lol)

It leaves me in a bit of a quandary as I begin to wonder when enough is enough with it.

Leaves me with 3 options

1. Build up an engine that's bullet proof, have the van repainted and continue driving it for another few years.

2. Fire a second hand engine in and sell it complete

3. Second hand engine but remove all my goodies and return it to a near standard van and sell it.

So far option 1 is the one I want to do but the van is worth so little it seems mad to keep putting money into it, it's also maybe a little dated now and maybe doesn't represent us well to our clientele any longer.

I do have a set of bonnet vents for it lol and blackwater are designing new livery for it to freshen it up in the meantime if that's the route we go.

I still really enjoy driving it and that was the goal at the start of the project, itself genuinely quick and handles very well. The stereo is amazing and the fuel economy is fantastic.

The option of getting rid means buying something that's capable of carrying a set of wheels. To that end I had been looking at E53 X5's as it's something I have always fancied and I do miss an auto as a daily somewhat.

johnm

RMS Regular
Think your work speaks for itself, but can see what you mean about the image, sell as is and get an x5, or park it up beside the mini and get an x5.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
How much is option 1 going to cost versus changing for something as practical?

Vans are a never ending wallet drain, but so handy and practical!

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Clubvan not an option?

I wouldn't give the ridiculous money they make.

@Big Pimp it would probably cost something the same. It's just that it's adding no value really to it whereas if I buy something it's worth what I paid.

Head says buy a jeep, heart says fix the van. Had a lease lined up on a Macan but I bottled it and cancelled it, I just don't want payments hanging over me while the wife is still getting treatment.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.