Random Suzuki Swift Sport Issue

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
ZC32 with 136k. Perfect example of Japanese engineering, uses not a drop of fluids between services, sweet gearbox and original clutch and you can still wring the neck off it when the need arrives.
However for the last 6 months the drive belt has taken to squealing like a complete fecker. Changed the belt 9 months ago and adjusted the tensioner after a month it started squealing. Brought it to a mechanic got him to put a genuine belt on and check pulleys. Came back and all quiet for a month and then started squealing anytime accelerating under 30mph.
Bring it to another recommended mechanic and he says it probably needs a new clutch which to me is a bit on the random side.
Any thoughts lads on this @TheDaniel and @Coog
Cheers

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Can't see it being clutch unless he meant one in the A/C compressor. Did the mechanic that checked the pulleys make sure everything rotated freely? There's a few different things run off that belt and any one of them being stiff could cause a squeal. Water pump ever been changed?

Mine squeals for 10 seconds first thing the odd time too coincidentally. It's alternator load related though and dies as soon as the alternator demands less.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
As above. Never had the issue with any of my Sports, but one of the young lads at work has one that's squealing also, when cold. He changed the belts and tensioners with gen parts and still gets the odd squeal. It seems to be down to the AC compressor. I priced one up for him and they ain't cheap! Honestly can't remember how much but they were exactly, a few hundred though.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Thanks guys for the heads-up, that makes sense as the a/c has never worked since 3 years ago. Do either of you guys know any proper mechanics who could sort it. Encouraging her to keep it until 150k so that she can leave home before she hits 25 instead of spending £400 a month on a 3ur old white German fridge!!!!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Just checked the price of an aircon compressor in work, just off one of my old regs, £849.02! Was speaking to one of our mechanics, he said you could do an aircon delete & use a shorter belt, possibly off a 1.2 that had no aircon. Failing that you could use a bit of string to measure and get a belt from that.

But if your daughter likes her luxuries and wants A/C, I'd suggest scrappies or compressors online.

Don't take what I say as gospel though! :joy: I'd get it checked first to see if it 100% is the compressor & not a faulty pulley or something, which I'm hoping it is as it would be a lot cheaper of an option at £144.23. (I do Suzuki parts btw lol) So if you need anything call Donnellys Mallusk & ask for Daniel & I'm sure I could help with some RMS discount!

Last edited:

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Lol love this wee RMS Swift Sport crew we have going on!! Quite a few members on here have had them now.

Would love a Boosterjet Sport at some point, but it would have to be black & they're hens teeth. All my Suzukis have been black! Although I do love the better halfs wee grey one. You just don't see her shape Sport that colour.

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Cheers guys for the heads-up, will whip the belt off and fumble with the pulleys. If it is the clutch on the compressor she will be happy to go with a shorter belt. Putting a new compressor would be mad. Can't believe at 135k with Twin springs there is not a single rattle, brilliant wee car.

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpeg
IMG_4457.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg
IMG_4459.jpeg
IMG_4546.jpeg
My poor Suzie needs a couple of bonnet hinges (well I hope that’s all it is) following a minor fender bender November last year, the bonnet still closes on the catch but it’s not sitting where it should be, structure bar across the front is still the same shape it was so don’t think it’s anything else that’s misshapen.
Still drives lovely otherwise, the teins make it even more of a go kart, need a couple of front tyres too but the 195/45/17 are a ridiculous price for good rubber.
Had a squeaky belt and a grinding noise of sorts last year, turned out to be the water pump.
One random noise left, like a ticking noise when it just goes past idle and load starts, defo seems to be something to do with the air con or air system as it’s not a mechanical noise from the engine etc. (I’ve a video of the noise but trying to figure out how to upload it here.)
Maybe this will work:

This is the noise from behind the dash.