Range Rover Sport buying

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
My wife has wanted a Range Rover Sport for quite some time and I've finally decided to give in despite all the horror stories surrounding them.

We will be buying a 4.2 supercharged V8 in HST spec.

What do we need to look out for? Are there any warranty companies worth the paper they are written on?

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Tell her to think of something else lol You couldn't carry petrol to the Supercharged! Also I don't know a single person who's owned an early RRS that hasn't had monumental bills.

Non-manufacturer warranty companies arnt worth a thing.

You should talk to @BarryPort as he's just bought one and I'm sure he's researched a fair bit recently.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Pete you're mad imho. They literally self distruct it seems once they hit the 3 YO mark.

Can't you put an actual Land Rover warranty on it? Prob a mileage restriction though

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I know guys, trust me it's the reason she hasn't had one yet lol

However, she is out of work now so no longer needs to commute, this will be lucky to do 300 it 400 miles a month and she has the Subaru for when it breaks lol

I'm still trying to talk her out of it but after everything she has been through she might as well have something she really really wants and 20k is buying a very nice low mileage one

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Well that's very true, she certainly deserves it I guess.
In that case, why not give LR a call and see what the warranty restrictions are ? At least then you'll have something to go on for your search and as said Barry done tons of research

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
My dad had an early RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6. He loved it, obviously not the same pace as the one your looking at but the drive etc he loved alot.

He had it for 3 years and put alot of miles on it. Bar servicing the only big bills he had were

Replace Electronic HB cable
Replace all brake lines
Replace all discs and pads
Replace all tyres

All done by White Mountain up in Lisburn area.

Bar that it was extremely reliable and to this day he wants another one. The MPG was awful for a diesel (29ish most of the time) so I can only imagine what the 4.2 S/C would be like in something like a RR.

That being said, she deserves it so id just bite the bullet and find an orange one :cool:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My old man has had a Supercharged RR Sport for a few years. They're great going big yokes but as said above, be very prepared for fuel bills. You can almost see the gauge dropping as you drive it. Look out for issues with the fuel pump, differentials and electrical gremlins - they're not shy when it comes to dash lights popping on.

neil-c

RMS Regular
I've driven both and if possible I'd stretch up to the 5.0 it's an unbelievable wagon! Just over your budget would get you a decent example from a private seller. For example this- £25k full service history and only 36k miles.

Not sure on the common issues tbh but the owner of the cars I drove had both a 4.2 and then a 5.0 for 3 years each, both bought at 18mnths old and driven to 60k miles/4yr old with no issues.

Edit: link didn't work, I'll try again:

Land Rover Range Rover Sport 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autobiography Sport 5dr

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It's not hard to spot the members on here with no kids... :p

Just mirroring everything that has been said above. Suspension, brakes, gearbox and electrical issues are all massive contenders for raping your wallet, but of any I've worked on, even just servicing, you'll either get a good 1 or else a headache.

Friend of mine had a Kahn edition, and it was a constant financial drain regarding suspension arms, airbags and tyres.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
On a slightly positive side, my brother had one for about 2 years, 4.2 Supercharged, and never had any major issues. Few bushes needing replaced and one of the pulleys, that was about it. The bags threw a light up once, but he got out, locked it, opened it, and started it and that was it cleared and it never returned. He got 17mpg no matter how it was driven, but you never felt the need to go fast. Such a brilliant big cruiser, and his had the Harman Kardon stuff, with TV's etc.
IMG_1635.JPG

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Was the last generation really that bad??? What are the newer ones like??? I mean the evoque, or the current range rover sport. Are they any better? Wife will be wanting one as her next car (few years down the line).

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
@big_pete I had one many moons ago, albeit the 3.6TD V8 version. I loved it for the first year, then we fell out........alot!!

I replaced the front suspension arms and Bushings, the compressor for the air suspension, two turbos, battery (twice) and related cabling.........it makes me sad listing all this so I'm going to stop lol.

When it worked, it was great but sadly all of the above has ruined the brand for me.

Having said this, going from what the guys on the RR Sport forum were saying the best and most reliable of the engines in that age of a Sport is the Supercharged so I'll finish on that positive note :p.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Diesels are out of the question on the grounds that they have more to go wrong in the form of turbos, dpf etc (which I was told was a body off job??) Plus the type of driving she will do now will be a nightmare in a diesel.

MPG isn't an issue for us either, she currently runs an ST Focus doing low 20's and had been doing about 18k a year in it, now she will do a few thousand miles a year so teens mpg really won't matter at all.

I really don't want to spend more than 20k, we aren't financing it and don't want to get into the stress off payments with her out of work, we have very little in the way of monthly bills and I want to keep it that way lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Nope
Was the last generation really that bad??? What are the newer ones like??? I mean the evoque, or the current range rover sport. Are they any better? Wife will be wanting one as her next car (few years down the line).
! Brother in laws 12 month old autobiography is just back from having a new engine fitted after the one year old one decided to throw a rod out the side of it.

Apparently there is a bearing oil feed issue with them.

still there is nothing, literally nothing else that drives like a RR or Disco. They are that good

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
still there is nothing, literally nothing else that drives like a RR or Disco. They are that good

Sort of agree with you there, I was amazed by the first Discovery 3 I bought.
Had never driven one until I picked it up in Tralee, and headed for home, and really cant think of any better vehicles for the journey, it really was perfect!
When I got it home and started the normal everyday drives, down to the shop for a pint of milk etc, thats when it fell apart for me, just too big and cumbersome for everyday driving if you ask me.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Don't be scared by the need to remove the body to do certain jobs....they were designed like this. Removing the body isn't that big a job in itself though you do need the lift.

The original RRS is essentially a Disco 3 in fancy clothes with a few uprated bits. They weigh 2.7tonnes so are hard on suspension and brakes. They are fairly complicated beasts so if you find a good one, get someone who knows them to look after it.
As for warranty, warranty direct would be the highest rated though policies are linked to miles and age and if there has been a warranty gap, they may not take it on. WD cover wear and tear whereas others including LR's own (rebranded 3rd party) don't. Another alternative is the AA warranty which covers something like 5 claims a year, each up to £500 or something like that. Won't cover a big failure but might take the sting out of it.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
I never thought LR RR were that bad on reliability!!! Some horror stories on here for sure!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
A neighbour of mine had one for about 6 months....12mpg AVERAGE.
They traded it back in at a big loss. He told me he had heard of footballers leaving them back due to their thirst for super unleaded...it sounded awesome though

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Sort of agree with you there, I was amazed by the first Discovery 3 I bought.
Had never driven one until I picked it up in Tralee, and headed for home, and really cant think of any better vehicles for the journey, it really was perfect!
When I got it home and started the normal everyday drives, down to the shop for a pint of milk etc, thats when it fell apart for me, just too big and cumbersome for everyday driving if you ask me.
That's why there's a Freelander here instead of a Disco or a Sport. Don't need something that's near 3 tonnes for daily driving or towing. Just want the ability to climb the odd mountain track from time to time. Looking at the original RRS, the freelover has better ground clearance. Not bothered about much else TBH.
RRS supercharged would be great craic for a while and can totally see why you're going for it of course Pete. Good luck with the search.(y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.