Renault Clio 1.2 16V - Revs on its own - P0638.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Hi there, Been trying to fix my brothers Clio 1.2 16v for the past few days - he left to work in Canada and now I've to sort it!

Basically when you turn the key it revs to 3500rpm on its own.

My cheap code reader brings up P0638 - P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance

So far I have:
- Checked the original throttle body/cleaned it out.
- Checked and cleaned the accelerator pedal plug and TB plug.
- Changed the accelerator pedal with a replacement part.
- Changed the TB with a replacement part.
- Checked all fuses/relays etc - taken apart, sanded the pins/contact cleaner everywhere.
- Checked the wiring looms for any breaks.
- Checked for any leaks around the TB, inlet manifold, checked for loose or split hoses.
- Checked all plugs around the engine/cleaned.
- Replaced the MAP sensor.
- Removed and cleaned coilpacks and sparks.
- Removed battery and checked all terminals are tight.

Things possibly:
- O2 Sensor/ECU.
- Proper tools to realign the TB?

Does any have any further ideas/access to Renault CLIP diagnostics?

Tam9n

RMS Regular
OP
Tam9n
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Should've said it's a 2006 model so phase 2. Don't believe there is an ICV on these.

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
If it's the one with the throttle body inside the manifold then it'll likely need a throttle body and wiring loom

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah seems that it's built in to the TB which you have already changed....maybe touch for a cheap replacement ECU off eBay and try that?

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
Not sure a second hand ecu will work with the immobiliser side of things.
Is there maybe a crack in the carbon canister in the osf wheel arch drawing air into the inlet manifold?

Tam9n

RMS Regular
OP
Tam9n
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Thanks for the replies guys, an ECU could be bought cheap enough and possibly de-immo'd by a friend.

The carbon canister I'll look at here today, he squared a pot hole a few months ago and the front arms etc were replaced. If that turns out to me it, you're a genius!

Tam9n

RMS Regular
OP
Tam9n
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
The hunt continues.. still no sign of what this could be :worried:

Tam9n

RMS Regular
OP
Tam9n
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Hi there, yeah it was the throttle body. I changed it once but I left the battery connected stupidly and that seems to cook them instantly. Spent months searching then tried another throttle body with battery disconnected and it was that. So so simple!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.