Replacement windscreen

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
had a widnscreen replaced in my first astra, cost was 85quid and that was me buyin the screen from traynors and gettin it fitted by ravarnette auto parts, foned auto windscreens their quote was 250quid....i think not

HMS Skyliner

Drives
R32 Skyliner GTR
MiniMad said:
1000pound 4 a windscreen! ^o) hahahaha must try and get that on my next one!
not a chance a screen would cost that. yes i no import jap glass gets big money but nothing gets near 1000pound.
its companies like autowindsreens and autoglass that do cause a massive strain on insurance(but then u should no that) when they quote stupit prices, autoglass etc would get cars wrote off sometimes due to the prices they are charging! :confounded:
i dont want to start an arguement but i totally agree with scubbay on this one, everything he has said is true! as for ur special glass, :relieved: we all buy from the same suppliers as there only are two suppliers in northern ireland so its not that special, as for your car being an import the only difference that can make is to the tint.

To be honest autowindscreens and autoglass etc put very little strain on insurance prices its more of the spa's out there driving that crash and claim for everything, NI has the highest claim rate in the whole of the UK, hence the massive diff in insurance prices between the mainland and here.

If you can get a skyline front window with the radio reception wires built in for under £500 then you would make a tidy sum as they sell for around 300-500 2nd hand, and the tint is not the only diff in a windcreens when its a convertable as I said in my post, but then you would know that as well!

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
OP
M
Graham said:
minibutmighty, it's a fecking car and all it needs is a new windscreen, you get one fitted and drive up the road 5 mins later it could be cracked again witha stone chip i got mine chipped and needed replaced rang minimad and had it fitted within 30mins as the fitter was close all for 60quid off the ins

lets face it it ain't a ferrari yer driving and it's only a windscreen which ain't a big deal but i'll advise ya not to watch them doing it as they take a right bit of the dash area apart and scuttle panel ;)

Who's paying the 50 quid excess for the screen??? Me, so surely I have the right to be fussy and feel reassured that its being done right!

Its only a mini and its only a feckin car is true, but its still mine and its worth as much to me, as a ferrari is to somebody who can actually afford one!
You are may be happy with a quick 30min job but I prefer to make sure I get things done right.

As for doing all of bavarians work, thats sounds so reassuring after the complete incompetent mess they made of my car!

Job is now completed, and they did use an proper mini windscreen not a substitute one!

HMS Skyliner

Drives
R32 Skyliner GTR
You have every right to want it done properly, even if you where not paying the £50 excess the last thing you want to do is drive down the road at 80mph and see your windscreen flip of, it would ruin your hair!!

As long as you got sorted dude, but in future you is best asking your broker insurance questions, will save misunderstandings as I said would happen, happened, but like I said as long as you are sorted out.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
minibutmighty said:
You are may be happy with a quick 30min job but I prefer to make sure I get things done right.
well if you had went back to bavarian to get it done the people that done my windscreen would have been doing yours so i did get mine done right by an established fully ins approved company and it took just over an hour ;)

glad you got sorted anyway !

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
OP
M
I would not let bavarian, agnews repair shop or any of their associates near my car ever again, they are completely incompetent and tried to fob me off with a free car valet!!

MiniMad

RMS Regular
Drives
fwd + rwd + 4wd
minibutmighty said:
Who's paying the 50 quid excess for the screen??? Me, so surely I have the right to be fussy and feel reassured that its being done right!
Its only a mini and its only a feckin car is true, but its still mine and its worth as much to me, as a ferrari is to somebody who can actually afford one!
As for doing all of bavarians work, thats sounds so reassuring after the complete incompetent mess they made of my car!
Job is now completed, and they did use an proper mini windscreen not a substitute one!

was just giving advice but from the looks of things all this topic has done is to start aguements. glad you got the screen in and done to ur standards thou! (y)

don't ring me if u get wind noise or water leaks as sooo many people do thinking we're them!

minibutmighty

RMS Regular
OP
M
Graham said:
pmsl, that bad ?

Yeah, you would not believe it!! Took them seven, yes seven, attempts to fit a new jcw airbox and it still wasnt fitted right( even after I gave them a foto of the engine bay with said item fitted). Had to take the car to david prentice who sorted the airbox. And bavarians head mechanic wanted to fix this sort of sticky feeling I was getting through the clutch pedal by taking the engine and the gearbox out, were as david prentice just changed the master cylinder on the clutch without removing engine or gearbox and there hasnt been a problem since the work was done!!

I had to actually ask for my car back off them mid repair, (before they started removing the engine) they were taking so much time and making such a hash of sorting it out. Just two problems of many I have had with bavarian.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
well i can understand now why ye were fussy about getting the screen done then if thats what you have dealt with in the car trade :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.