Restarting after fuel filter change - need help asap!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rosie

RMS Regular
Drives
anything that bl
Can anyone tell me how to restart a ford connect after the fuel filter has been changed ?

The van is onthe red light and is just turning over on the Key.
No diesel is gettign to the filter and theres no manual hand pump that the other half can see.

Any ideas?

ta
R

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Did you fill the filter with fresh diesel before putting it on?

pablo

RMS Moderator
let the pump prime about 10 times before starting it.

turn ign to 2nd pos (you might hear the pump whirring), once it stops whirring turn off then repeat a heap of times.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It will be airlocked then...

Loosen the first injector and turn it over until the diesel starts to come out, then tighten it up again.

Then move to the next injector and repeat to process.

I would advise ya to fill the filter first though, as it would save alot of time and hassle, and save the starter from alot of unnecessary turning.

PS - Are you sure theres even sufficent diesel in the tank to start the van, and it hasnt all ran out of it..?

mattyc

RMS Regular
Drives
M3

Loosen the first injector and turn it over until the diesel starts to come out, then tighten it up again.

I would advise ya to fill the filter first though, as it would save alot of time and hassle, and save the starter from alot of unnecessary turning.

PS - Are you sure theres even sufficent diesel in the tank to start the van, and it hasnt all ran out of it..?

Yup, fill the filter to the brim and do as Nicky says. Did the exact same when i changed the fuel filter on the audi for the first time :cool:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yup, fill the filter to the brim and do as Nicky says. Did the exact same when i changed the fuel filter on the audi for the first time :cool:

Its almost a daily occourance when working on plant machinary. Tool box consists of various filter spanners and a shifter:cool: lol

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute

are you mad, never loosen any injectors on any modern day diesel engine unless you know what your at, and or have the computer to depressurise the systems first!!!!!

it was ok with the likes of old 306's etc etc, but modern day diesel engines run 1000 bar through them, and they are not sending it to what you would of called injectors, they are sending them to highly sensative solenoid valves

mechanics already have died by cracking the pipes of modern day diesels, not realising the severe pressure differences in the systems!

one pump, in the tank is the lift pump, and between this and the one on the engine is relativly low pressure, once it go's into the pump, it then becomes extremly pressurised, for accurate nozzle spray and pattern, also the amount of fuel used etc is set and the solenoids return what they dont want to use!

Stoney

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 Type R GT
cycle the ignition a few times , should fill the housing with diesel and then when u decide to start the engine be ready to give it a little gas to see it through the lumpy bits :grinning:

if cycling - keep the ignition on position 2 for around 10 seconds each time ( personal experience)

stoney

elmo7

RMS Regular
not to sure about the death by diesel like! alot of injector pipes only seal once but in my experience ther is a cut of valve on the transits if u dont get it right it switches the pump off and needs to be reset with a wds or the likes!!!!

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
its not how i would do it when i change the filters in my diesel focus, but when ford did it they put an airline in the filler neck bunged it with a rag and forced air in while turning the engine over.... seemed pointless to me but i can see the theory... maybe try that. i wouldnt go slacking off the injector unless its a last resort.

if your patient like said above turn it over a few times and it will eventually start as the engine is self bleeding.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Heh heh, loosen the injector. It's not a Perkins P3. Little more pressure in a modern engine, the diesel will go right through the skin in to the blood stream and officially **** you up.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Fill up and filter and just try and start her. Easy, learnt that first time i serviced the Bora!

rosie

RMS Regular
OP
rosie
Drives
anything that bl
Yes indeedy - put clean diesel into the filter - turned it over still no joy
Loosened the injectors and turned it over untill all the air had come out and there was diesel coming out instead - left it for 5 mins and then turned it over again and taaaaadaaaaa

Its all the fiances fault he volunteerd to service a mates van - needless to say he won't be volunteering again :grinning:

rosie

RMS Regular
OP
rosie
Drives
anything that bl
Now now that whats i said!
It wasn't self bleeding and didn't have a screw - honestly men can be so petty lol lol :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.