Restoring dull cloudy headlights

RoniN

RMS Regular
Today I decided to restore the headlights as they were cloudy and very dull.
Remember @Nicky posting about doing the headlights of his Merc.
So I took some photo's as it might help anyone if they wanted to do the same.

Passenger side headlight
IMG_0544.jpg

Close-up of the cloudy plastic, it's that bad you can't even see the headlight bulb.
IMG_0545.jpg

Taped off the paintwork to protect it when sanding and machining.
Couldn't find any masking tape so used duct tape instead, as this is very sticky I stuck it to my jumper first before sticking it on the paintwork as it would be easier to remove later.
IMG_0546.jpg

Used 3m Aluminium Oxide Coated wet and dry for the sanding.
This is very fine, you could use 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit wet and dry but it would probably take abit more machining to remove any sanding marks.
IMG_0547.jpg

Wet and dry soaked in a bucket of soapy water.
IMG_0548.jpg

Started sanding in circular motions
IMG_0549.jpg

Finished sanding in straight lines across the headlight
IMG_0550.jpg

Buffing the headlight I used a medium spot pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish but you could use any cutting polish really, 3m, Meguiars, Scholl, Sonus even t-cut will work.
Have even heard toothpaste works.
IMG_0555.jpg

A few drops of polish on the pad and start buffing the headlight, I used the slowest speed on the Milwakee which is about 900rpm as to not generate to much heat.
Three or four passes were enough to refine the finish to a standard I was happy with.
IMG_0552.jpg

The finished restored headlight.
IMG_0553.jpg

I was in no hurry and stopping to take photo's probably ate up abit of time but say about 30 minutes to do one headlight.
Hope this is some help to anyone wanting to restore their own headlights or taillights.

Cheers

Last edited:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Write ups with pictures are definitely much easier to follow!

Good job!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Great job on them. Still haven't got around to sorting the Merc to be honest. It'll be a while before I'm worrying about her headlights now anyway, as the only thing I'll be buffing are the welds on the manifold I've to make for it (y)

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
That looks amazing - really need to do this to my Golf

Andymh

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3 Civic
Awesome stuff mate. I need to try this on my civic as the lights are terrible looking.

corsacj

RMS Regular
Definitely a top job there mate, amazing the difference wee things like this make to the look of a car!

Makes me think I must tear out the rotary later and sort mine (y)

RoniN

RMS Regular
OP
RoniN
Thanks all for the posts.

Awesome stuff mate. I need to try this on my civic as the lights are terrible looking.

Definitely a top job there mate, amazing the difference wee things like this make to the look of a car!

Makes me think I must tear out the rotary later and sort mine (y)

Have restored a few civic headlights before, they seem to cloud over even worse.
Just take your time and don't rush, you will restore them back to looking brand new.

Cheers

Last edited:

corsacj

RMS Regular
Thanks all for the posts.

Have restored to a few civic headlights before, they seem to cloud over even worse.
Just take your time and don't rush, you will restore them back to looking brand new.

Cheers

Yeah have done them before but didnt have my rotary at the time, so I think the finish could be improved now :grinning:

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Looks good. I noticed my wife Clio lights are starting to go but I seen someone on youtube that instead of polishing them up going ahead and clear lacquer the lights as it adds the uv protection back to them and they don't yellow so fast. Only thing was it was like a 2pac aerosol can which I never seen before I think it was the refinish network

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Brilliant job, will be using this same technique on the Soarer headlights soon (y)

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Great job. I've had the headlights cleaned on a few cars and asides from the cosmetic improvement, it actually makes a fair difference to how bright your headlights seem on the road afterwards too.

Saunts

RMS Regular
Going to do this to the civic tomorrow! Few bits creeping up on the headlights!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
The plastic headlight covers on the bmw where very foggy and scuffed there and I was able to shine them up with a cloth and methylated spirits, just a dab and a good polish.
(try somewhere discreet first and at your own risk, not sure all plastic reacts as well to a solvent+keep away from paintwork)
made a hell of a difference to my lenses though

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Just did my headlights and the wife's Ibiza.

Used 1200 wet and dry and then finished them with Meguiars Plastx on the rotary with a white sonus pad.

The astra's had heavy marking along the bonnet.

The Ibiza's where really bad but they're a vast improvement.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I used memories meguires plastic-x on my vans headlights, not cloudy as such but dulled and scratched by drive through car wash and then came up a treat. Using a rotary pad sends the compound everywhere though :worried:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
those ibiza headlights, although better, dont look anywhere near refined enough after the 1200 you used. still look almost frosted still.

if you can take them up another level and use 2000 or 2500 and then polish them out, they should come up better.

for clear plastics like headlights, you need to take time to refine the finish as much as possible before polishing stage.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
those ibiza headlights, although better, dont look anywhere near refined enough after the 1200 you used. still look almost frosted still.

That's because it's actually on the inside of the lenses - it's gone all "liney" if that makes sense.

What I did to outside did help but they need binned tbh