RMS Offroad Enthusiasts - Punch Hunt - Flagstaff - 25th August 2019

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Ah worth a try I found them pretty good before. You should also try Ian Carson at supreme fuels and tyres in Belfast. I got the Suzuki tyres there at good money.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Tyre Insa Turbo Dakar MT 235/65 R17 104Q Rebuilt tyre - Tyre Leader

Anyone know if you can get these cheaper any where? I've a set of 17" rims here already and can't wait to see what the Toerag is capable of on proper off road tyres :cool:

Nope, I paid £60 a piece for mine, tho normal price is around £65, euro rate will change it.
That's the fitted price, tho there's no discount for not fitting them to rims.

Are you 100% sure that size in the rough thread will fit without rubbing issues?

I was able to try one on and check before buying.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Hi,
Just for your info, I live in the localality and have to say - it's a brilliant and vast venue with some really challenging terrain.
Highly recommended!

Sounds like we found ourselves a volunteer tour guide for the weekend... :p

Is the green laning something you do yourself, @DesmoBen? Or have you just seen it taking place?

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
I'm planning to lift the forester over this winter (2.5" front, 3" rear, trailing arm spacers, sump and diff guard, 50/50 gearbox mod,225/70 tyres, etc) and have been planning a greenlane outing to donegal to give it a proper outing lol

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I'm planning to lift the forester over this winter (2.5" front, 3" rear, trailing arm spacers, sump and diff guard, 50/50 gearbox mod,225/70 tyres, etc) and have been planning a greenlane outing to donegal to give it a proper outing lol

That's some change from it being lowered :p

Is that lift from the standard height?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I've a spare lattice wheel and a couple of D35 half shafts there if you need them Ross. They're no use to me!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
What needs done to the XJ @Big Pimp?
New engine (mackins have a 4.0 sitting)
Lift kit
MT wheels
Winch

And then ba$tardised........ :grinning:

As she sits now:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And my idea...... Remove D pillar and convert into like a pickup. Use the existing tailgate for glass behind the C pillar :laughing:
image.jpeg

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Do it, you won't regret it, be good to be out in something you do really care about damaging and just try and go everywhere :p

Yeah. Glad I took the Chelsea tractor off road, just to see how capable it is..... But now I want to get something which will cost very little, and I won't care too much about scraping, grounding, or bumping a wee bit

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Lift kit - 3" should be spot on
MT wheels - those Insa Sahara's that were on the Flagstaff Shogun I borrowed were fantastic. I'm going for a set of them, and I think @seaside-racer is going for them too as he was highly impressed.
Winch - front bumper being changed, or just modified with the winch bolted to the chassis?

They are definitely an aggressive looking article when they've had a wee bit of work done. I was looking at a couple of them in England before I opted for the mountain goat Vitara.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Spring spacers front and HD leafs rear, pull the rear arb and stick front arb disconnects in. Longer shocks, extended rear flexi brake line and relocate the front hard lines. Mud terrains and a wee spacer on the transfer case. May also need some work on the rear prop shaft.

That's what I did to mine and it was unstoppable!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
They are definitely an aggressive looming article when they've had a wee bit of work done. I was looking at a couple of them in England before I opted for the mountain goat Vitara.
MT wheels - those Insa Sahara's that were on the Flagstaff Shogun I borrowed were fantastic. I'm going for a set of them, and I think @seaside-raceris going for them too as he was highly impressed.
Winch - front bumper being changed, or just modified with the winch bolted to the chassis?

Was thinking about a box section front bumper with a winch made for it.

Fancy a bit of work?!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Spring spacers front and HD leafs rear, pull the rear arb and stick front arb disconnects in. Longer shocks, extended rear flexi brake line and relocate the front hard lines. Mud terrains and a wee spacer on the transfer case. May also need some work on the rear prop shaft.

That's what I did to mine and it was unstoppable!

@Big Pimp - looks like you found a volunteer... :p lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The winch should be the last mod IMO. Do everything else first and then do it once it's all working well.

Oh and unlike the 4x4s of today the front bumper on a xj is already a big metal girder lol. There was a towbar on the front of my second one!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The winch should be the last mod IMO. Do everything else first and then do it once it's all working well.

Oh and unlike the 4x4s of today the front bumper on a xj is already a big metal girder lol. There was a towbar on the front of my second one!

I've never seen the need for the tow bar on the front bumper, even though there's 1 on mine. I'd prefer a couple of shackles for recovery or to attach a snatch block if the need arose.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
MT wheels - those Insa Sahara's that were on the Flagstaff Shogun I borrowed were fantastic. I'm going for a set of them, and I think @seaside-raceris going for them too as he was highly impressed.

Was thinking about a box section front bumper with a winch made for it.

Fancy a bit of work?!

When you need it done? Should be fit for that alright, once I get the garage pulled into shape.

Was supposed to do the garage between yesterday and today, but ended up putting a new steel floor on the wee tipper yesterday (won't fit in the garage and it was great weather, so would have been rude not to) and power washed out the stables while it was dry.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I've never seen the need for the tow bar on the front bumper, even though there's 1 on mine. I'd prefer a couple of shackles for recovery or to attach a snatch block if the need arose.

Same. I pulled it off after I got it. Apparently it was for shunting caravans or boats around a yard or something.